Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me build an AR-9

My goal is to build a reliable, accurate 9mm with controllable recoil with a budget under $1,000 plus the components I already have

I already have an AR-15 lower and upper reciever. buffer tube, shoulder stock, glock mags, grip, handguard, and red dot optic…so I need help with the rest

Thanks in advanced 

So you need a bolt, barrel, and recoil system? Are you dead set on a standard AR lower - a dedicated Glock mag lower may be a better option if you're starting from scratch. 

I'd look at JP for the barrel, bolt, and silent captured recoil spring system. 

There are a number of manufactures who make quality Glock mag lowers - QC10, New Frontier, Spikes, PSA, etc. 

17 minutes ago, bulldog009 said:

So you need a bolt, barrel, and recoil system? Are you dead set on a standard AR lower - a dedicated Glock mag lower may be a better option if you're starting from scratch. 

I'd look at JP for the barrel, bolt, and silent captured recoil spring system. 

There are a number of manufactures who make quality Glock mag lowers - QC10, New Frontier, Spikes, PSA, etc. 

I live in New York, they just banned lowers so I need to use the AR-15 I already have

9 hours ago, blue72 said:

I live in New York, they just banned lowers so I need to use the AR-15 I already have

That's understandable then. As some others have mentioned already, Stern Defense is probably your best option then. 

I would still look at JP for the rest of your components. They have built a solid reputation in the industry for high quality parts. You might pay a little more, but you get what you pay for. I think you will be able to get what you need within your budget. 

I looked at the stern and imho you spend that amount might as well buy a 9mm lower for a bit more. I am dipping my toe in and decided to play around with endomags. If I like pcc more I’ll get a lower. I have a bunch of parts and lowers so I didn’t want to go and buy another right away. My want for a pcc is just to participate in some of the pcc only and mini 2 gun matches

Edited by frankge

I like a balanced rifle.  I started with a stock Lead Star Prime PCC with 16.1" steel barrel.  I tried a Wiland Ultarlight 5.5" sleeved barrel.  Way too whippy.  My trigger control had to be perfect or I'd move the muzzle when firing.  Tried a Smoke Composite stock.  No go.  So I'm back to stock except for an A5 buffer tube.  The carbine tube always felt a little short.

I also tried stuff recommended on these forums.  Tubb flat wire recoil spring.  Yuck.  Sheel roller delayed buffer.  Absolutely no joy.  Magnetic delayed buffer.  No joy initially, but I will continue testing.

My go to is a Blitzkreig hydraulic buffer, their short stroke plug and a JP silent carbine spring.  I also added 3/4" of spacers to the rear of the buffer sort it would short stroke in an A5 tube.   Zero dot bounce if placed on my shoulder correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...