Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Primers For 9mm Major Loads

TopGun

I'm starting to reload 9mm Major and have read posts on this forum concerning which primers to use. Should I use pistol or small rifle primers for 9mm Major loads? I am starting with the following load:

- Once fired Win or Fed cases.

- VV 3n37 Powder (7.8 - 8.1 gr).

- Zero 125gr JHP.

- Winchester WSP or WSR primers?

Thanks for the input.

I'm starting to reload 9mm Major and have read posts on this forum concerning which primers to use. Should I use pistol or small rifle primers for 9mm Major loads? I am starting with the following load:

- Zero 125gr JHP.

Thanks for the input.

I have good luck with WIN small rifle primers...has worked in all my 9mm major, 9x23, 9x21 and 38 super major PF loads...

You didn't say what kind of gun you're shooting it out of but I'm guessing STI/1911. Your other components sound like pretty good choices.

I think you will see the least amount of primer deformation with CCI Small Rifle - #400 - primers. 2nd place is Winchester Small Rifle. If one runs better in your press or seats in your cases better, that's your winner.

If your 9Major is a Glock, I can run down pros & cons of several primers, send me a PM.

You're going to hear that some people use SR and some people use SP.

It can depend on a lot of factors.

Which gun are you using? If you are using a tricked out Glock, you might.. MIGHT need to use SP. If you are using a 1911 style with a Long Firing pin, you shoukd have no trouble setting either off.

Are you seeing any pressure signs when you use SP primers? If so, try SR.

Are you loading for any other Pistols or Rifles that use small primers? I load .223 so by using SR in both I only have to buy 1 kind of primer.

There are others, but I think you get the idea. Use whatever works for YOU.

Personally, with an STI commander length slide, open gun, with 2 barrel ports, using 9.2gr of SP2 and 125gr jhp @ 1.150 OAL I use SR.

(MAN do I type slowly! nobody had replied when I started!!)

Carl

Edited by Carl

I always use Federal Small Rifle primers with both my heavily ported Supercomp, and my shorty major-9 pistols.

I feel the federals fire with a lighter hammer hit, and the rifle primers give some extra strength

WSP might be a better bet if you have the AET barrel in your gun. From what TeamGE has told me, there are sealing issues with the WSR primers in 9Major loads with the AET barrel. The barrel allows the casehead to expand faster than the WSR primers, thereby allowing gases to blow by the primer, eroding the breechface. WSP primers are softer and will seal with the expanding casehead.

A long firing pin is a must in either case.

- Zero 125gr JHP.

Thanks for the input.

I split the difference, and use WSPM primers for everything. 9 minor, 9 major and 40,

all the same small pistol magnum primer. They are harder than WSP, but softer than

WSR. Work fine in a variety of Glocks. I also use the same 124 gr bullet for all 9mm

loads, and can use the same 3N37 powder for all 9mm loads, although It's not my first

choice for 9 major.

" thereby allowing gases to blow by the primer, eroding the breechface."

-I have seen this EFFECT in STI & SV .40s and the primers used were Magnum primers in an otherwise unremarkable .40 load.

In my Open Major 9 Glock, I use Federal small pistol w/o problems; 3N38, N350 and Power Pistol.

fed 200 or fed 205

they are more consistent over the chrono than the winchester units...plus i had 11 bad winchesters in 1000....never a bad federal.

for practice ammo, i would be OK with the WSR, for match, its gonna be federal.

with 3n37, your probably gonna have better luck with the FED 205

I've always used SR primers in major loads. I switched to Federal last year only because some of my friends are using them. It's nice if you get in a bind to borrow a box to get you through. ;) Check with your shooting buddies and see what they are using too. It also saves money getting everyone together for a bulk order.

• 4 weeks later...