Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2023 Western States Revolver Championship

practiscore-logos-2016-white.png

Settings 

1669047653details_mobile-image.png

2023 Western States Revolver Championship

Western States Championships

opens in 18 hours

Registration opens on: December 08, 2022 @ 5:00 PM · Registration closes on: February 18, 2023 @ 8:30 PM
Times are local to America/Phoenix timezone.

Match starts: February 24, 2023 @ 8:00 AM · Match ends: February 24, 2023 @ 6:00 PM

Mesa, AZ 85207

**REGISTRATION opens December 8, 2022 at 6:00pm (AZ)**

14 Stages + Chrono!
Round Count: 290

SHOOTING SCHEDULE:
Friday, February 24, 2023

Match Fee - $125.00
Juniors - $75.00
*Trophy Match Only*
Match Shirt included.
Refund cutoff date is February 6, 2023. A $10 service fee will be charged on all refunds. No Refunds will be available after February 6, 2023.

Self-squadding is available once your registration is paid and approved. If you have any special requests, let us know.

There is no food available at the range. Please be prepared!

This is not a USPSA Affiliated match and will be run with hit factor scoring.

Match Director - Jim Adame (RioPractical@gmail.com)
Questions: Staff@riosaladodesertclassic.com

View Squadding

Hit Factor level I match,

Price:
$125.00

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PatJones said:

Not a USPSA match? No thanks

It is run under USPSA rules but with additional equipment divisions for open and Classic. That’s the extent of the outlawishness. Same stages as the fully legal USPSA level II Western States Single Stack Championship that follows on Saturday and Sunday. 

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

WSSSC 2007. Drizzle Saturday morning, turning into rain during the day. Snow on Sunday. Coldest match I ever shot.

So nothing in the last 15 years?

Anyplace can have bad weather. I live in Southern California, and contrary to the song, it does sometimes rain in Southern California.

9 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

So nothing in the last 15 years?

Anyplace can have bad weather. I live in Southern California, and contrary to the song, it does sometimes rain in Southern California.

Like I said above, not always. 😉

3 hours ago, varminter22 said:

Or ICORE.  

Seems there is something wrong...  

Yes, because adding Open and Classic divisions to an otherwise USPSA rules match causing it to already have more shooters signed up than were at USPSA Revo Nationals this year is clearly a bad sign.😈

If a sanctioning body is important to you that’s your business, but running an unsanctioned match is hardly a sign of the end times. The match came about because the Western States Single Stack MD started shooting revolver and thought it would be fun to add a revolver match to the match weekend. I believe that the revo match was added in 2015. They recently added the outlaw divisions because shooters asked for them. 

Edited by bdpaz
Clarify that divisions were included when registration opened.

9 hours ago, bdpaz said:

Yes, because adding Open and Classic divisions to an otherwise USPSA rules match causing it to already have more shooters signed up than were at USPSA Revo Nationals this year is clearly a bad sign.😈

If a sanctioning body is important to you that’s your business, but running an unsanctioned match is hardly a sign of the end times. The match came about because the Western States Single Stack MD started shooting revolver and thought it would be fun to add a revolver match to the match weekend. I believe that the revo match was added in 2015. They recently added the outlaw divisions because shooters asked for them. 

Have you considered being a uspsa match, revolver only, with multiple categories?  At least an open category.  Just musing. I think you're doing a good thing.  Any shooting is good and any revolver is great.

• 1 month later...

The Western States matches (both SS and revolver) are great matches!  I have shot several and always had a great time--although the weather a couple times has been downright terrible!  I have never perceived any issues with the rules whatsoever.  Traditionally, they have used USPSA rules and scoring (except for allowing some "outlaw" divisions like the open revolvers).  I assume that is what they will do this year again.  

I am signed up for the upcoming WSRC and WSSSC matches in February.  Really looking forward to both!    

15 hours ago, Carmoney said:

The Western States matches (both SS and revolver) are great matches!  I have shot several and always had a great time--although the weather a couple times has been downright terrible!  I have never perceived any issues with the rules whatsoever.  Traditionally, they have used USPSA rules and scoring (except for allowing some "outlaw" divisions like the open revolvers).  I assume that is what they will do this year again.  

I am signed up for the upcoming WSRC and WSSSC matches in February.  Really looking forward to both!    

Good Luck, hopefully the weather will cooperate.  You shooting your 9mm SS Screamer Loads?

Heads up the Free State is scheduled (pending approval) for June 17th this year hopefully it'll be a bit cooler!

Oh and the 2022 Free State Article should be out in the next Front Sight.

In Arizona, I will be running my M27-7 with .38 Short Colts in the revolver match, and a .40 1911 for the SS match.  Since I'm going to be planning stages for 8 rounds between reloads, that will keep things consistent.  

I actually finished in the Top 20 of the Western States SS match years ago, before they started the whole revolver thing.  That is one of my prouder accomplishments, as the level of competition in the SS match is pretty fierce, and they get hundreds of shooters. 

The USPSA magazine was in my mailbox today.  I can feel the bile rising in my throat just thinking about it.  Frickin' Jess..... 

14 hours ago, Carmoney said:

In Arizona, I will be running my M27-7 with .38 Short Colts in the revolver match, and a .40 1911 for the SS match.  Since I'm going to be planning stages for 8 rounds between reloads, that will keep things consistent.  

I actually finished in the Top 20 of the Western States SS match years ago, before they started the whole revolver thing.  That is one of my prouder accomplishments, as the level of competition in the SS match is pretty fierce, and they get hundreds of shooters. 

The USPSA magazine was in my mailbox today.  I can feel the bile rising in my throat just thinking about it.  Frickin' Jess..... 

Hmmm, Jay aka Fishbreath here on Enos, has hinted at coming this year, I'm going to campaign for 20+ this year!  Maybe someone can dethrone the new king!

Maybe his hand/grip chalk "was" a good idea, or not?