Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal For Glock In 40s&w?

WildWest N AZ

Just checking with the Glock shooters on this one. Ive been told to change my OAL from 1.125 to 1.135 because it reduces pressure and feeds better in the Glock. Is this true do the rounds feed any better? Also Im wanting to try Clays for the 40 does anyone have any input with how it runs through the Glock? Thanks from a fellow Glock Shooter! B)

I load my Glock 22 & 34 at 1.140. I have no problems with feeding and it does reduce the pressure and felt recoil. As far as Clays I have never tried it, it's way to fast of a powder and I would not recomend it particulary when you have to load short for the Glocks. I ran Universal Clays for about 2 years and then swithed to Titegroup, I found that it metered more consistently for me.

I load mine to 1.145-1.150" with no feeding problems out of KKM barrels.

+1 on the Titegroup. I am using Universal and HS-6 at the moment for my Open glock though. But Titegroup does meter better. I would advise against using Clays (regular) when loading to major in a Glock. I have heard they go BOOM! :blink:

Some bullet nose profiles will cause the bullets to hang up in the mag if you are using mag extensions. A friend gave me four extensions for .40 a couple of years ago. He could not get them to feed from his mags at 1.135" I dropped the OAL to 1.125" and the problem went away.

I used 4.3 gr of Titegroup and a 180 gr Rainier HP. I just changed to a Zero 180 grain TC and they appear to feed OK at the 1.135" length.

1.125" works just fine. That's what I load to & it's the original spec for the 40S&W cartridge.

No Clays in 40! As they say, Titegroup & N320 are your best 2 powders for 40cal.

180gr JHP from Zero is a great bullet - accurate, consistent, almost no smoke when fired.

I am one of the ones who stated that longer ammo generally feeds better in a Glock.

Besides personal experience, I learned this from Rudy Waldinger, who most of us associate w/ S&W Revolvers. However, in his native Austria, Rudy was on the factory Glock shooting team. Rudy was the one who first informed me that Glocks prefer longer loaded ammuntion for optimal feeding. His advice has always worked for me.

I concur RE powder: 1st Titegroup 2nd N320 but load longer than 1.135". I do not think straight Clays has any place in Major .40 for Glocks. Again - not for Major.

Edited by Carlos

Thanks for the input! I talked with the maker of TG today he suggested it was the best bet for the 40. The only thing he said about Clays is that it offers low recoil but couldnt give me much INFO about PF? Im going to go with TG then with Zero 180gr JHP Not sure what length just have try some to see what my 23 likes. Speaking of mag exts mine have been giving me jams like every 5th or so round. The factory stuff is at 1.125 oal so maybe the longer length will be better for me anyway. Oh these 140mm exts are from Arredondo anyone have this problem also with them not feeding?

You can use clays for minor power loads and they will be nice. You will however overpressure before you make major, because the glock lengths are not long enough to counteract the pressure. Many of the top shooters in the world use clays,but they do so in S-i's which alow lengths in the 1.225 range. They ride a thin line and if your loader drops one too heavy ...boom. Another bad trait of clays is it is very sensitive to static and will meter poorly.

You can use clays for minor power loads and they will be nice. You will however overpressure before you make major, because the glock lengths are not long enough to counteract the pressure. Many of the top shooters in the world use clays,but they do so in S-i's which alow lengths in the 1.225 range. They ride a thin line and if your loader drops one too heavy ...boom. Another bad trait of clays is it is very sensitive to static and will meter poorly.

Plus, I heard Clays can spike in pressure very quickly w/out much notice. Guys used to get case head separations a lot using Clays. One of our local shooters even carried a squib rod in his back pocket when he shot, just in case

Loaded up my 1st 100 rounds with TG 4.0grs and OAL 1.130. I liked the results nice lite recoil seemed to be plenty darn accurate, and IMHO it seemed to feed very nice with that OAL. Damn TG is way dirty with a lite powder charge! :blink: Does it clean up when you get closer to major? If not the VV is worth the extra cash for cleaner stuff.

I am fairly new to loading for the .40s&w myself. After getting my many questions answered in this forum (thanks Flexmoney) I currently load my G35 @ 1.135 with 3.6gr of TG and MG 180gr bullets for production. I could make minor with a lighter load but the gun did not group as well for me with the lighter loads. I have ran over 5k of this load with zero problems to date. BTW there is a lot of good info on this if you search the posts. The info here has certainly saved me a LOT of time and money while I was working on a load.

I guess I buck the system! :P

Production Load in a G35:

40cal 180 JHP 1.125" oal and 2.9 of clays at about a 134 PF (Factory bbl.)

I also shoot Clays in Major-BUT in a Para. At 1.175" oal. there is a bit of pressure-that would be as short as I would go. I don't think that would fit in the glock mags-right?

Just my two.....

Are you talking about that lite soot that wipes right off with a rag?

I don't call that dirty.

Then again, I'm not too worried about keeping my Glock pretty. :)

Yep that soot stuff Im one of those guys that likes his Gun nice n clean! :D

Yes I must also give a big thanks for all the help with the info on the reloading!!!!!