Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Shoes / Boots

Sixgun

I'm just wondering if anyone has worn either of these two boots. The Targhee looks great for the wet Spring weather, and the M-6 looks good for the summer. Any and all comments are appreciated.

My current hiking boots are on their last leg. I don't really want the Adidas GSG9 or the Oakley boots. It also looks like Nike isn't making the Trigo II anymore...

Well what do you think of the choices, or is there something that I overlooked?

Targhee Mid

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7202618/reviewcount/15.html#mr

Bates M-6

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/big-id-3-shbgid-9848.html

Thanks,

Ray

The bates don't look too bad however I have had durability issues with their boots in the past and have simply stayed away from them for the last few years.

You can also take a look at the Converse line of boots. soles look like they will be very good for multiple terrains and the price is competitive.

Converse Boots

Good luck, Craig

I have been wearing Bates zip-side Paratrooper boots (oddly enough, for a nominal "leg" Air Farce geek) on duty. I usually get three or four years out of 'em.

Fred and I both bought Bates new desert-pattern "assault" (gag) boots, after seeing them at SHOT. Minimal break-in time, light, confortable, and...strange for suede...waterproof. After six months of using them for off-duty footwear, I bought a pair of the M9 (black) "assult boots". Same pattern, but in black polished leather. Just started wearing them at work last week. Two NCO's in my office liked them enough to order themselves some.

Alex

• 2 months later...

I have used the Bates M6 Desert boots for about 6 months now. I live in the desert, and find these to be a great low boot for my daily hikes. Comfortable out of the box.

6 months is not really enough time to form an opinion on durability, but they seem to be holding up well. I think this model is made better than my previous Bates products.

I also wear them to shoot matches each weekend. (Gravel and sand.) Even though they are not really a heavy boot, I am pretty sure trail runners or cleats are faster to move in. But I like the traction and the ankle support they provide.

Plus, I think they look really cool... :D

not to go all cheapo on you guys, but I LOVE my $20 Ozark Trail mids from Wally World. On dry ground they are great, and possibly themost confortable sports shoe I"ve ever worn.

Are you, um, wearing them in that avatar? :D

Seriously, I, too, need some kind of better shoe than either boots, running shoes, or a heavy pair of low-top vibram-soled "Sketcher"'s, which are like individual torture chambers for my feet.

Do the Ozark trails support lateral movement pretty well? Is the sole pretty general purpose? Are you going to wear them at the Florida Open?

Thx,

Steve

I am going to look at these tonight at Rogan's to see if I like them. They are around $100 a pair. The 6" model looks to be decent, I am needing an alternative to the Merrills I am using now, as they hurt my feet when I am on them all day. For some reason my feet like boots better?

And I really like the side zip feature.

http://www.magnumboots.com/htmlproducts.ph...d=m20&family=22

I still like my cheap Wally world shoes.

Bought a pair of Ozark's tonight. The low-cut model; the sole looks pretty grippy, and they definately seem to have more stability than running shoes. Though I hate like hell spending money at WalMart, for $20.00....

Maybe they'll bring me good luck. Want to wear 'em to work tomorrow, though - make sure no blisters.

• 3 months later...

I just picked these up at Play It Again Sports for $47. They seem to fit the bill nicely. I will be trying them out at the 2006 Iowa Sectional this weekend!

post-5009-1148325215_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rocket35

• 2 weeks later...

Lowa Renegade Hiking boots for really bad weather (snow, 2 inches of standing water).

Mizuno 9-Spike Premier Mid G3 for all other times.

I have high arches. Shoes for regular or a flat footed person KILL me.

I have been using LA Police Gear lately for purchases.

I have two pairs of 5.11 Boots. They are working out fine for me. They keep the sand out! I had purchased Superfeet insoles, they are expansive but worth to me.

The prices were great and free shipping.

I also use a pair of Converse 6 inch boots for work shoes from LA Police Gear. Not too bad either.

I tried the Nike L. Sharks but they were too uncomfortable for me. I am not putting them down, they just do not work for me--and I use Nike running shoes all the time. But I am not enjoying the pleasures of a real boot.

I've been weating the Bates M6 for about 7 months now, love em. They have good ankle support and fit well. I use them for just about everything Shooting, Jeeping, Yard work you name it. I usually wear boots out in about 6 mos but theese are still in really good shape. L.A. police gear stocks them for about $90.00. I will be ordering another set to keep on hand.

Steve.