Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol vs. HP-38/Win231 for PCC Competition Loads

DwightSchrute

Background:  I have a lot of Sport Pistol on hand that I use for Production and Carry Optics loads, and a lot of HP-38 and Win 231 on hand for my .45 caliber Single Stack loads.  I am just now getting into PCC, and based on a lot of head-spinning internet research, it seems that the conventional wisdom is beginning to favor less-than-heavy bullets with a slower-burning powder for PCC competition loads.

Question:  If I go with a 124/125 grain JHP or FMJ bullet, should I use my Sport Pistol that I was originally planning on using or my slower-burning HP-38/Win 231 that many seem to suggest might work better in the longer barrel of a PCC rifle?

I’m the type of guy who likes to dial in one load for a particular purpose and then stick with it, so I appreciate everyone’s input before I get up and running on serious reloading for PCC.

I use 115’s with sport pistol (or Cleanshot) as my go-to load. Been shooting this combo for nearly 3 years now. 

Slower powders should provide more gas for the comp…. But will also change how the gun unlocks. CFE pistol is the slowest powder I’ve used for PCC… and it’s EXTREMELY dirty with such low charge weights… suspect that’ll be similar for other powders in that burn rate area. 

No problem with steel. None.

Until he switched to the JP5 roller delay… Max Leograndis shot 115’s in his direct blowbacks. Several other super squad shooters do too. I much prefer the way the 115’s shoot.

I think lots of folks use 124’s since they can also use for handgun loads… so it’s a more versatile weight. Works fine in both platforms. But if I’m loading PCC specific ammo… I like them light and a little hot (136-138PF is my preference for dot movement/return). 

I wouldn’t get your hopes up with JHP. Most PCCs don’t do well with them. 

Edited by Dirty_J

2 hours ago, DwightSchrute said:

Background:  I have a lot of Sport Pistol on hand that I use for Production and Carry Optics loads, and a lot of HP-38 and Win 231 on hand for my .45 caliber Single Stack loads.  I am just now getting into PCC, and based on a lot of head-spinning internet research, it seems that the conventional wisdom is beginning to favor less-than-heavy bullets with a slower-burning powder for PCC competition loads.

Question:  If I go with a 124/125 grain JHP or FMJ bullet, should I use my Sport Pistol that I was originally planning on using or my slower-burning HP-38/Win 231 that many seem to suggest might work better in the longer barrel of a PCC rifle?

I’m the type of guy who likes to dial in one load for a particular purpose and then stick with it, so I appreciate everyone’s input before I get up and running on serious reloading for PCC.

For decades the Hensley and Gibbs #68 200 grain SWC has ruled for as lot of things. It's more accurate and you can load them hot or mild with 2321/HP-38. 

I've used it since starting in IPSC in the 70s. 

3 minutes ago, jpm2953 said:

Got 4 cases of them still and been shooting them since 2017. Love ‘em!

Haha. I know. They’re fine. I’ve shot tons of their 125’s in handguns. Heck. Still have a few myself. 

I didn’t like their 115gr mold back when I was soliciting bullet companies… no bevel and a chonky ogive. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/3/2022 at 8:01 PM, Dirty_J said:

No problem with steel. None.

Until he switched to the JP5 roller delay… Max Leograndis shot 115’s in his direct blowbacks. Several other super squad shooters do too. I much prefer the way the 115’s shoot.

I think lots of folks use 124’s since they can also use for handgun loads… so it’s a more versatile weight. Works fine in both platforms. But if I’m loading PCC specific ammo… I like them light and a little hot (136-138PF is my preference for dot movement/return). 

I wouldn’t get your hopes up with JHP. Most PCCs don’t do well with them. 

do You know what Gr Max shoots now? You said up until he switched to Jp5, I assume 124?

14 minutes ago, Orlandoech said:

do You know what Gr Max shoots now? You said up until he switched to Jp5, I assume 124?

He shot 115’s primarily in his blowback guns when he was loading his own ammo from what I’ve seen. Even played with 95gr at some point. 

Now that he’s hooked up with SuperVel.. he’s been shooting heavier from what I’ve seen. Better recoil impulse in the JP5 perhaps? 

He was shooting 124’s at 143PF at nationals last year. 

Hit him up on Instagram… I’m sure he’d be happy to share his current ideology. 

I'm just getting into PCC myself so I wanted to put together a load. I'm loading for a 16" Sig MPX.

My current handgun load (124JHP and Sport Pistol) certainly ran the gun but the consistency wasn't great; producing a 25-yard group size of about 3-4 inches. 

I made a load with some 115gr FMJ and Clean Shot.  I feel this load produced a more predictable dot movement and certainly yielded a much better group size at 25 yards, coming in around 2 inches. 

The Clean shot load is a LOT cleaner, which matters more in the MPX because of the piston system. 

Me too. I shoot 3.6gr Win 231/HP38 with i25 powder coated or Bayou (.355 dia.) in in all of my 9mm. Auto pistols, PCC etc.

For revolver I shoot the same charge but with a .3575 powder coated bullet because that's what my 929 likes.

Simple is really good!

46 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Me too. I shoot 3.6gr Win 231/HP38 with i25 powder coated or Bayou (.355 dia.) in in all of my 9mm. Auto pistols, PCC etc.

For revolver I shoot the same charge but with a .3575 powder coated bullet because that's what my 929 likes.

Simple is really good!

I need to run a hotter charge in my 9mm pistol verses my PCC. If I don't, my pistol won't function.

• 2 weeks later...