Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using two different bullets at IPSC

yekcoh

For a very unavoidable reason, I will have to use 147gr and 115gr at a big IPSC match outside of US.

Having experienced the ultra strictness of IPSC, my most dire hope is to not alarm the officials and keep everything low profile.

How can I make sure I use two different profiles without making the officials think I'm up to something?

I'm asking some advices because at my last IPSC match, I was asked to present all of the mags I had and a box of ammo for chrono.

They took the mags, took a few rounds out of each mag and ammo box to take their 8 rounds to do the chrono. 

My guess is, if I present them with two different ammo, they will probably freak out and start interrogating me. 

They were absolutely committed to making sure everybody was legit and they were absolutely committed to DQ'ing/bumping as many as possible.

5.6.3.3 From the 8 sample rounds drawn by Match Officials, 1 bullet is removed and weighed to determine the actual bullet weight, and 3 bullets are fired over the chronograph. If a competitor has rounds of different bullet weights in his possession, 8 sample rounds of each may be drawn for testing. The lowest power factor achieved during testing will be applied to all his scores in the match. All digits visible on the scales and chronograph displays must be used at face value (i.e. without rounding or truncation), for the calculation in Rule 5.6.3.5. In the absence of a bullet puller and scales, the competitor's declared bullet weight will be used.

My advice; When they ask for your ammo, ask for two bags and put 8 rounds of each weight into each bag then put one bag inside the other, to keep them together. Might be worth adding a piece of paper with this rule on it too.

Edited by BritinUSA

18 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

My advice; When they ask for your ammo, ask for two bags and put 8 rounds of each weight into each bag then put one bag inside the other, to keep them together. Might be worth adding a piece of paper with this rule on it too.

Great point. I will do this. I will also notify RM ahead of time... 

5.8.1.5 Match Officials reserve the right to conduct chronograph or other tests on all and any ammunition, at any time, and a reason need not be given.

Just do not want the Match official to get alarmed and have them chrono my ammo everyday or something...