Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170s only?

Bakerjd

So I'm going to shoot open exclusively now that my girlfriend has switched. I'm thinking of just running 170s except if there is a stage where I need to go prone or kneel. I've found reloads are fine, actually IMO a little easier after doing some dry fire. What's yalls opinions?

I did the same, except I also have three STI Gen2 mags with TTI guts and base pad.  I use them for classifiers and any time I have to drop a mag in dust or mud.  I generally only load 10-11 in the STIs, depending on stage plan.  It is not a good idea to drop a mag with 20 rounds still in it.  So for 30 or 32 round stages, I start with an STI, drop it at the first reload point that costs no time and continue with a 155 or 170.

I shoot with a friend who runs 4 170s.  I was planning on doing the same, but I got a deal on the 155s for the same price as the 140s.  155s and 170s are close enough in size there is no issue with reloading.  I generally start with a 170 and reload with a 155, except in the instance I outlined above.  It all depends on your stage plan.

I will caution one thing with all 170s.  Dropping an almost full mag, as you would on a classifier with a mandatory reload, is not a good idea.  Sometime a round will slip under the follower.  Other times it may jam down in the tube.  In either case, you have to disassemble the mag to fix it.  That's why I have the STI Gen2 mags.

6 hours ago, zzt said:

I shoot with a friend who runs 4 170s.  I was planning on doing the same, but I got a deal on the 155s for the same price as the 140s.  155s and 170s are close enough in size there is no issue with reloading.  I generally start with a 170 and reload with a 155, except in the instance I outlined above.  It all depends on your stage plan.

I will caution one thing with all 170s.  Dropping an almost full mag, as you would on a classifier with a mandatory reload, is not a good idea.  Sometime a round will slip under the follower.  Other times it may jam down in the tube.  In either case, you have to disassemble the mag to fix it.  That's why I have the STI Gen2 mags.

Yes I plan I keeping a couple 140s in my range bag just for these instances. I figure I already have them and may as well just keep them for the occasional need.