Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Want To Buy A Revolver

ipscron2000

OK guys and guys, give me the skinny on what revolver to buy.

New or Used

S&W 625 or something else

.40 or .45

Fiber optic or bead or not

which grips

Does a new 625 come cut for moon clips?

which holster

who should do the trigger work?

Your advise will be seriously considered.

Thanks

Edited by ipscron2000

New or Used

.40 or .45

which grips

which holster

Thanks

What do you intend to use it for.

Will make a difference which one to get.

A 625 comes set up for moonclips.

al

After looking at the guys shooting the Area 2 I think every one of them was using a 625 or model 25.

If you are using it for IPSC only that's the way I'd go. Even for ICORE that states all stages will be 6 round Neutral, a 625 is a great choice. Three years ago Angus Hubdal (sp) won the limited title with a 625.

625's use moons and if you check out www.ranchproducts.com they sell them for 100 moons at $25.

I like the CR holster but check out the Hogue, it's very fast but needs to be modified for revolver. Safariland is still a great choice.

Get a very sturdy belt.

WWW.Apextactical.com (Randy Lee) does a most excellent job on Smith & Wesson triggers.

New or Used

.40 or .45

which grips

which holster

Thanks

Like alellis said, we have to know what you intend to use the gun for. If it's for IPSC/USPSA, then go with the 625. As to you're other questions:

New or used is up to you, but in general revolvers tend to hold up well with a little care. As long as the used gun doesn't look like it's been ridden really hard and put away wet it should work well. In additon there's the whole firing-pin-on-the-hammer vs. floating firing pin with MIM parts debate, but I digress.

Caliber depends on what you like and what the gun is being used for. Let us know and each and every guy on this board will petition for his personal favorite caliber and load. Trust me.

Fiber optic or bead. This is a sight question, and therefore akin to religon to some shooters. I'm not going to tell you which God to worship or what front sight to stare at after church on Sunday.

Ditto for grips. Try 'em all till you find something you like. Revolvers can wear any kind of grips: fat, skinny, wood, rubber, automotive body putty (don't laugh, I've seen this). Ask guys at the range to try their grips to find what fits your hand and feels comfortable.

Yes, the 625 is ready for moon clips from the factory.

There's a few choices for holsters. I use both a Safariland 002 Cup Challenge and an Extreme race type holster. I think my draw is about the same with both (slow). There's also a Limcat and CR Speed revolver holster. All seem like nice products that will give yeoman service.

There's any number of fine gunsmiths out there and even though I don't like to play favorites, if you get a Smith revolver with a floating firing pin nobody does a sweeter job than Randy Lee at Apex Tactical. Randy's a forum member and a heck of a nice guy, if you want a sweet trigger job get in line (it's a long one, right Randy?).

I got an older 625 (625-3 Model of 1989) a while back for IPSC. I may take it to steel matches too, but it seems like a 627 would be better for that. You can only miss once with a 6 shooter. :) I'd take .45 over .40 for IPSC, because the holes are bigger and easier to reload. That, and I just love .45! I shoot a 1911 .45 in Limited 10.

I just got my 625 all geared up and will take it to a match early next year. So far, I love shooting it in practice! Like others have said, sights and grips are a personal preference. I use FO fronts on my bottom feeders, so I put an SDM FO on the front and Millet target on the rear. Just put a Miculek grip on and had my smith rework the trigger.

Keep your eyes peeled. I checked Gun Broker and Auction Arms for some time and snagged mine on AA. It was in beautiful shape. I prefer the older Smiths myself, without the silly lock mechanism. The newer ones shoot just as good as the old ones though. I found my grips for about half of retail on ebay.

Edited by AustinMike

Ditto what these guys say. There are so many options and accessories now that it might be best to ask some of the local revo shooters to test drive their guns. The newer frame mounted firing pin 625's typically yield the lightest trigger pulls for competition.

Sight options- Hamilton Bowen is now making a bomb-proof rear sight for the Smith revos as well as the LPA TXT0107 rear sight which I like. Millett works well too. On a side note, LPA will be offering a new version which will be incorporating a few of my recommendations in the sight leaf dimensions.

As soon as I'm finished with R112mercer's 625 and Underlug's 627 :D , look for a new fiber optic front sight and nifty new cylinder release which is lefty friendly and uses the hole left when the competition shooters remove the hammer lock( sorry, not available for the older frames)

Back to work!

Randy

Edited by Randy Lee

Thanks guys for the advise.

I should have asked "What is a fair price for me to pay for a slightly tricked out 625"

My buddy has a 625 with a FO front and Hogue grips and a great trigger. Also a Safariland holster. He doesn't know what is fair either.

Is $550 in the park for both?

RJ

Thanks guys for the advise.

I should have asked "What is a fair price for me to pay for a slightly tricked out 625"

My buddy has a 625 with a FO front and Hogue grips and a great trigger. Also a Safariland holster. He doesn't know what is fair either.

Is $550 in the park for both?

RJ

That is way too much money for that. Give me his number so I can talk to him :rolleyes:

Price is fair. As stated. Jump on it.

regards,

As soon as I'm finished with R112mercer's 625 and Underlug's 627 :D , look for a new fiber optic front sight and nifty new cylinder release which is lefty friendly and uses the hole left when the competition shooters remove the hammer lock( sorry, not available for the older frames)

Back to work!

Randy

Don't forget about the 625 I just sent you, Randy. :D

Randy,

What kind of timeframe would you guess for those parts? Are we talking within a monthor so? I'd be interested in both the site and cylinder release. I'm a lefty with a new 625 so keep me posted.

-Cuz.

Randy,

What kind of timeframe would you guess for those parts? Are we talking within a monthor so? I'd be interested in both the site and cylinder release. I'm a lefty with a new 625 so keep me posted.

-Cuz.

New sight is being drawn up now, and the stainless steel bar stock for the prototype cyl. release is to arrive tomorrow...right Dave? :D

Front sight- .100 wide, .040 dia. fiber optic recessed and short enough to fit in a 627 38 super without hanging over the edge.

The sights should be out sometime after the first of the year, and the cylinder opening thingy around June( IRC time!)

New sight is being drawn up now, and the stainless steel bar stock for the prototype cyl. release is to arrive tomorrow...right Dave? :D

The sights should be out sometime after the first of the year, and the cylinder opening thingy around June( IRC time!)

The special unobtainium bar stock will be at your shop in the am, unless Kalifornistan is going to outlaw that as well... ya never know around here.

will trade the material for the decoder ring....

Dave Wilson

Randy, is this new FO FS going to fit the Classic "pop-in" sight bases? If so put me down for 2!!

And I thought there was no Santa!

Dave Williams

P.S. be sure to post in the Revo Forum when you're ready to ship/sell. And how about selling some of those "The DINGO ate my REVO'Smith" T-shirts?

Randy, is this new FO FS going to fit the Classic "pop-in" sight bases? If so put me down for 2!!

And I thought there was no Santa!

Dave Williams

P.S. be sure to post in the Revo Forum when you're ready to ship/sell. And how about selling some of those "The DINGO ate my REVO'Smith" T-shirts?

I will definitely let you know when and all the gory details. :)

Randy

Hey Randy looks like your onto a winner with T-Shirts...... :P

Now I just need some cool artwork...

Yea a Dingo setting on his haunches with a toothpick in his teeth and a paw on a big belly with a pained look on his face belching up revo parts.

I just picked up the revolver, 5" SS. It's a 625-2 with Hogue grips, FO FS and adjustable rear. Hardly shot.

Sweet trigger.

Comes with a Safariland holster all for the amazing price of $450.00

Edited by ipscron2000

Ron, sounds like just about the perfect set-up for this game!

Any chance you might shoot that rig at Area 3 (Kansas City) or the USPSA Nationals this year?

My problem is that I have a gun for each division and not enough matches to shoot them all and get good with them.

I have a pretty sweet open gun, limited gun, production gun, revolver and limited 10 gun. I guess I could have worse problems... huh?