Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE Classic gun

Makicjf

I'm toying with the idea of a Classic gun.  I'm going to go with a GP 100 for two reasons.  Firstly, Ruger is an active supporter of matches.  Secondly, I've *V* notched two S&W cranes ( one  before the 2018  and my first IRC.  I used the crane from my 610... needless to say I shot patterns and shaved lead for the whole match)and the GP 100 has a solid cylinder retention.  A hard push with the yoke screw slightly backed out won't wreck the yoke.

I know it's mostly taste, but 4 or 6 inch?

My 5 inchers in 45 and 38 don't seem to return any quicker than my 625 JM.  A 6 inch would be pretty much game only, while a 4 inch is a sweet packin' length and a great companion for my 357 '92 truck gun.

I'm tempted to go short for the quickness?  Is that a mistake?

Jason

I shoot a 6-inch GP-100 (with trigger work to a 7.5-pound pull) Bowen Rough County sights with a fiber optic front.. and I love it. Safariland Comp 3 speed loaders. These are not modified. A "modified" Comp 3 cost me first Expert at the 2011 IDPA World Championship with my 4.2-inch GP-100 (which is set up the same as the 6-inch). Those Rugers are rugged, smooth, and tack-drivers. The six-inch made me the first 'de facto' Florida State ICORE Classic Div champ in 2013.

You won't go wrong with a 6-inch in ICORE. It's not appreciably slower than the 4-inch, and the longer sight radius saves down points.

1 hour ago, RangerMcFadden said:

I shoot 4 inch. I don’t see a “sight radius” performance bump. Oddly enough there’s a lot more K frames than you’d think but I digress.

I do think you’d want to not have a comp gun be the same as a carry gun but that’s me.

Parity is important.  

I appreciate all the thoughts.  

Would it make a difference if I said I'd be shooting USPSA major with it?  I have easy access to multiple uspsa clubs, while ICORE is a hike.  Old School 38/44 loads easily makes a nice major load that recoils a lot like my 625 major loads.

The 6 inch will make major easier.

Maybe I should get 2...

But a 3 inch would be cool...

Ok 

Three, then I'll stop...

3 hours ago, Makicjf said:

Parity is important.  

I appreciate all the thoughts.  

Would it make a difference if I said I'd be shooting USPSA major with it?  I have easy access to multiple uspsa clubs, while ICORE is a hike.  Old School 38/44 loads easily makes a nice major load that recoils a lot like my 625 major loads.

The 6 inch will make major easier.

Maybe I should get 2...

But a 3 inch would be cool...

Ok 

Three, then I'll stop...

No. IMO the only USPSA major gun should be a 625 (I mean you’re a fool if you don’t shoot 8s but there’s dozens of threads debating that ol’ chestnut).

But, for the sake of egging you on and getting more classic shooters: Major is no issue for a 4 inch. Just ask my model 66.

And if you get a 3 inch you can get that sweet, sweet recognition for shooting snubby in ICORE matches.

Sounds like you should save your Pennie’s and get one of those Dan Wesson kits. 😛

19 minutes ago, mikeAZ said:

Reports on the GP100's are good... I'm ignorant if a moon clip version is avalibile?... That would influence me  rather than barrel length but longer is my preference... 

The man’s trying to shoot Classic, get outta here with that moon clip nonsense.

But joking aside, yes, you can get the cylinder cut for 38/357 moons no problem.

38 minutes ago, RangerMcFadden said:

No. IMO the only USPSA major gun should be a 625 (I mean you’re a fool if you don’t shoot 8s but there’s dozens of threads debating that ol’ chestnut).

But, for the sake of egging you on and getting more classic shooters: Major is no issue for a 4 inch. Just ask my model 66.

And if you get a 3 inch you can get that sweet, sweet recognition for shooting snubby in ICORE matches.

Sounds like you should save your Pennie’s and get one of those Dan Wesson kits. 😛

I returned to Major during the great primer drought of 2020.  I had a surplus of LPP and a 625 .

I'm shooting major (starting last night) to get ready for my second run at L6 at the IRC.  I have no illusions of a six shooter being "competitive" in USPSA. If I hit 60-65% of the match winner I'm thrilled.

After the IRC, if I decide to go classic,the whole year of USPSA would be simply prep for the 2023 IRC. I'd be +/- on uspsa nats.

Steel Challenge would be 8 shooters ISR and OSR.

If I could develop to 60-65% of the match winner with a "classic" gun, I'd be happy!

Besides, finishing ahead of CO and PCC shooters with a speedloader gun might be fun! :)

thanks for the advice!

I do think I'll go 4 inches when I pull the trigger.

Jason

I like your idea of running a 625 with Major loads.  Nothing loads faster than that gun, proven by the man himself.  For minor in ICORE a 4 inch will work great.  It's a good length and won't rob you of sight radius.  The 3 is a little short and will punish you with magnum loads.

Practicing for Classic, go ahead and use the Comp IIIs in USPSA.  You should be able to get your reloads down to under 2 seconds with lots of practice and you will be shooting againsts yourself so do as good as you can.  I shot for years being the only revo shooter and did quite well against the bottom feeders.

Steel Challenge is all I shoot these days and I still shoot with a revolver although it's a 617.  Do to lots of reasons I can't shoot center fires anymore but still have lots of fun.  An 8 shot will benefit you.  Just remember to count and never shoot more than 8.  Go for the reload if you must and consider it practice.  A two second reload beats a 3 second penalty for a miss.

7 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

Possible with an 8 shot but you’d need some real 6-shot friendly stages to pull it off with classic. But a fine goal to have. 

Are you the Vet ‘tech’ Jason?

I'm the farrier (horse shoer) for the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine.  I might be the guy you are thinking of?

On 8/26/2022 at 10:12 AM, radny97 said:

I had a gp100 match champion I sold. It didn’t fit anything I was doing at the time. But it was a laser beam. I’d go with that. 

Same here. Had one sold it, same reason it fit no place at the time. The handling was nice and smooth but could never get the trigger as smooth as a Smith 

20 hours ago, mikeAZ said:

OPPS, I didn't Know moon clips were prohibited...

In ICORE Classic the gun can be cut for moon clips, but you have to use speed loaders.  Then in L6 you can use the moon clips.

As far as guns, holster & loads go a 6 shot L Frame cut for moon clips would be a great fit for either Classic or L6.  Just have to cigure out what you want for carriers for each.