Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSI Tungsten grip weight gen 5


Shmella
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone try one of these yet? I just saw them for the first time in a promo email from Ben Stoeger Pro Shop. Pretty pricey but seems to be the only grip weight option for gen 5 Glock. Figured the carry op purists would have some input on this vs just filling the grip with putty and misc tungsten weights. 

Edited by Shmella
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2022 at 2:37 PM, Raz22582 said:

I want to know too lol. I have the c&h brass speed feed with some tungsten putty. Works really good especially since c&h lowered the price on the brass speed feeds

Are you stuffing in putty then the plug?  Do you know how many oz of putty are you getting in there? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MarilynMonbro said:

Are you stuffing in putty then the plug?  Do you know how many oz of putty are you getting in there? 

 no plug I stuffed tungsten shot, a hunk of carbide and putty to take up any voids left, (34)   in my 17 I used the brass C&H plug  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MarilynMonbro said:

Are you stuffing in putty then the plug?  Do you know how many oz of putty are you getting in there? 

Just used the putty to fill the areas where the plug wasn’t maybe at most a .5oz of putty the speed feed fits really good 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see so many recommendations for putty, the stuff is a mess, I would avoid.  Leave your gun in a hot car and the stuff melts and oozes out.  It’s a pain to clean out if you decide to go with a brass plug later.  The C&H speed feeds are cheap enough now to avoid the hassle of tungsten pellets and putty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, Sinister4 said:

it for sure will be pretty nice, but stuffing with tungsten shot and putty instead Im not sure how much weight per $ you would gain ??

Have you already went with the shot/putty option? Trying to get some feedback on that option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, allamericanbp said:

Have you already went with the shot/putty option? Trying to get some feedback on that option. 

yes I stuffed it full about 2 years ago, I will say having installed the ssi slug for a sig 320max my wifes shoots its one nice piece for sure and the fit is totally perfect

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Been using this weight for several matches and I am very impressed. Had the C&H brass plug previously but this thing is half the size and double the weight. I shoot CO and my gun now is much flatter, first match I realized that I find now the dot much faster.

Installation is extremely easy: open bag, place plug in, put cap and add screw. It fits perfectly in place.

Highly recommended!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 5:25 PM, Tudor said:

Been using this weight for several matches and I am very impressed. Had the C&H brass plug previously but this thing is half the size and double the weight. I shoot CO and my gun now is much flatter, first match I realized that I find now the dot much faster.

Installation is extremely easy: open bag, place plug in, put cap and add screw. It fits perfectly in place.

Highly recommended!

Does the this contour the same as the c&h speed feed i the rear of the grip kinda like a funnel or is it blocky and squared off

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 6:02 PM, Sinister4 said:

Well ordered one for a new gen 5 34  build, just came in, flawless fit, a well designed and pretty much perfect piece, zero issues  and HEAVY for sure  Id buy one again for sure. 

Have you taken it out to the range? Interested to see if you can tell a difference. Im on the fence but definitely leaning towards getting one and supporting a Carolina based company. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eli_a said:

Have you taken it out to the range? Interested to see if you can tell a difference. Im on the fence but definitely leaning towards getting one and supporting a Carolina based company. 

oh yeah, for me I like the gun as heavy as possible to a point, about 38-40 oz (less magazine)    this is a great way to add weight ( along with the glock store full tungsten guide rod)   As said above you can pack the grip with shot and putty (ive done that too) but really for a "pro" type weight and all thats well made and super clean its the way to go. I use their weight as well in my wifes sig 320 max, another perfect fit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

oh yeah, for me I like the gun as heavy as possible to a point, about 38-40 oz (less magazine)    this is a great way to add weight ( along with the glock store full tungsten guide rod)   As said above you can pack the grip with shot and putty (ive done that too) but really for a "pro" type weight and all thats well made and super clean its the way to go. I use their weight as well in my wifes sig 320 max, another perfect fit

Around 40oz is where I like the gun to be as well. I made a post about my 34 gen with everything I’ve added and the Glock tungsten rod is definitely one of my favorite mods. I might give this a try, seems a lot better than the thug plug, especially that the weight goes higher up in the grip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, AWLAZS said:

Do you think a Dawson magwell could be used if you shortened up the Dawson plug? 

 Yes it would fit if you cut the dawson plug, The only reason I did not do that was my hands are to big and my pinkie finger gets jammed  on the dawson magwell, I used the glock plastic well as it fits my hand perfect   The plug would have to be cut right over the threaded hole for the holding bolt, then it would duplicate the little plug that comes with the tungsten plug,  cut cut would have to be exact as it holds in the plug, or you could stuff a tad of something to conform perfectly to the base of the plug, but really no reason to do that unless you mess up the cut

Edited by Sinister4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Sinister4 said:

 Yes it would fit if you cut the dawson plug, The only reason I did not do that was my hands are to big and my pinkie finger gets jammed  on the dawson magwell, I used the glock plastic well as it fits my hand perfect   The plug would have to be cut right over the threaded hole for the holding bolt, then it would duplicate the little plug that comes with the tungsten plug,  cut cut would have to be exact as it holds in the plug, or you could stuff a tad of something to conform perfectly to the base of the plug, but really no reason to do that unless you mess up the cut

Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I got one.  Very nicely made. It adds a noticeable amount of weight in a spot that doesn’t interfere with the way the gun swings as much as weight in the dustcover area. It’s good. I even notice a difference between the SSI tungsten and the CHPWS brass.

Edited by mkmckinley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...