Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther Q5 SF failure to extract

Zahnarzt

Just bought a new Wather Q5 SF.

First 250rds thru it shooting 115gr CCI Blazer brass and have had probably 15 instances where the round fires but the casing stays lodged in the chamber, preventing the next round from loading properly.  

I have to say the issue is becoming less frequent the more rounds I run. 

Any thoughts on how to correct the issue?

Jon

How do you disassemble the stock captured recoil spring assembly?  It doesn’t look like any kind of tool will attach to the end of the assembly rod. 

Or is it recommended to cut the coil off the stock assembly without taking it apart?

Edited by Zahnarzt
Added content

On 8/12/2022 at 11:15 AM, Zahnarzt said:

Found the replacement recoil assembly from Springco.  Are these captured or uncaptured?

Both actually - the smaller spring is captured and the larger spring is uncaptured.   

I like my sprinco guide rod but it doesn’t lock up hard with a softer striker spring.  I haven’t yet found the sweet spot yet between trigger break/weight and good lock up.  I shoot my P320 max for CO and 2011 for Open more so I haven’t given it much time…

I read somewhere where higher pf ammo would do this too. I picked up a Q5sf here and first time I shot it I had this problem exactly as you described. I was using hotter 147gr ammo that was approaching 140pf. I switched to my ammo to 128ish pf and have never had this happen again. I was already using the sprinco recoil rod with uncut white spring. Gun goes into battery whimpy if you ride the slide forward but has never failed to chamber when shooting.

I tested some 115pf 147s for revo in steel matched and the Q5 runs these fine even with totally stuffed mags and a round barnied in the chamber 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, yigal said:

stronger extractor spring will solve this ..

we have 1 in ours club with same problem. returned to distributor half year ago.  shooter still waiting😉

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I can find a stronger extractor spring?

Update…went to the range today.  Ran 100 rounds of 124gr CCI Blazer brass thru my Q5 SF without a hiccup.  It ran flawlessly.  I didn’t try going back to the 115gr because I was so pleased with the performance of the 124gr.  

I guess I’ll just stick to 124gr or higher with the Q5.  

Appreciate all the responses and advice.  

Jon

• 7 months later...

Update, about 7months now with the Q5SF…never changed any of the springs.  Up until last week, was only running 124gr brass without any issues.  Tried 115gr last week on a whim… no problems.  I’m thinking it just needed some break-in.