Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder chamfer on S&W 929

Speedwagon

2 hours ago, Speedwagon said:

I'm thinking about sending my cylinder to TK Custom to have the cylinder chamfered. I was just wondering if anyone knows of anyone else that does it and what their experience was like. 

Thanks.

It’s easier to send in the entire gun and get it all done….

But- here’s a picture of their chamfer! 

1431E352-2815-444C-89E0-1EB541CBF245.jpeg

38 minutes ago, SIGcurious said:

Anyone also have the cylinder chamber honing done at the same time?  Did you find it really helps?

Don’t do it. You need the protective coating on the titanium for longevity.

2 minutes ago, rooster mcbee said:

I considered it, but I've never had a problem with ejection.  Now that we've learned about the protective coating, I'm glad I didn't

Polishing the cylinder, or lack of, isn’t the reason 929s have ejection issues. 

It won’t ruin the cylinder, it will just allow erosion much sooner. I’m pretty comfortable saying I have the most rounds through a 929 and replaced the most 929 cylinders so far, and I haven’t polished one yet. 

8 hours ago, MWP said:

It’s easier to send in the entire gun and get it all done….

Not sure what you mean  by "get it all done". On their website they say to just send the cylinder assembly for chamfering. What else is there that they would do?

1 hour ago, Speedwagon said:

He just means that you will inevitability want more done (trigger job, etc.) because they do an awesome job, so it makes sense to send the whole gun and get it done all at once. But you certainly don't have to.

26 minutes ago, SIGcurious said:

He just means that you will inevitability want more done (trigger job, etc.) because they do an awesome job, so it makes sense to send the whole gun and get it done all at once. But you certainly don't have to.

Oh yeah, makes sense but I've already done that. Would've done the cylinder myself too but since I retired I don't have access to the machines to do it. Still glad I'm retired though! 

Edited by Speedwagon

I just don't get why S&W doesn't include this in the manufacturing process.  It literally takes less than a minute and can easily be a done while being made. The gun is intended to be used in competition and has Jerry Miculek's signature on it yet they won't include small details that make a big difference in performance. Just proves their Performance Center and JM signature adds nothing to the quality of their guns. 

Thanks for the replies all...my cylinder is on it's way to TK.

Edited by Speedwagon

I never had to polish the chambers of my 929. When I bought it there were problems running Starline brass.  It would stick real badly.  I switched to Winchester Ammo and bought 1000 rounds.  Kept reloading them and never had a case stick.

I chamfered my own cylinder.  I've had the tool for about 20 years and doing the 929 was an easy task.  I agree that it should have been done at the factory but every time a small detail is added to the manufacturing the price goes up.  

DSC_9163.jpg