Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A01LD my take

Bakerjd

Finally shot my A01LD in a match today. It happened to be 5 stages from Area 5 that were ever so slightly tweeked. Stuff like targets being changed from open to tuxedo or a no shoot covering half a target. I shot A5 with my tanfo so it's a pretty good comparison for me. 

A01LD is basicly stock except for the PD brass palm swell grips. 

131PF load using ramshot comp amd 135gn SNS bullets. Same as my tanfo load. 

As far as scores on each stage goes all were better today. But I don't know if that's really a good comparison considering I only shot 5 stages today and had no pressure from it being a major or not. But I did better on all 5 stages today. 

As far as shooting goes here are my thought. 

A01LD feels way more smooth through recoil, unlocking and locking back up. Dot stays in the window the whole time. Triggers are about the same. A01LD fits my hands a little better. Checkering on the tanfo IMO is more grippy though. Both have same grips. I have a harder time grabbing the slide on the A01 then the tanfo. Felt recoil is softer with the A01 but slide is also heavier. Transitions felt better with A01, need to do some more live fire practice and check timer. 

All in all I like the A01 more and fit it better IMO. 

On 8/7/2022 at 10:09 PM, Cowboy_Ninja said:

Are you getting 23+1 in your mags? Just got my ao1 back from Cz customs and trying to figure out what base extensions to get.

I run P09 mags with henning extensions amd grams guts. 23 reloadable.

Have you tried the Lok palm swells for comparison? The Patriot Defense ones look nice, but the palm swell location looks lower on the grip. I'd like to try them, but I am not sure how much I would like them because of that.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:00 PM, SuperKing said:

Have you tried the Lok palm swells for comparison? The Patriot Defense ones look nice, but the palm swell location looks lower on the grip. I'd like to try them, but I am not sure how much I would like them because of that.

PD is 100x better then LOK. Had the LOK palm swell brass grips on the tanfo stock 2 simply because PD wasn't doing them for a while. As soon as PD started making palm swells I bought them. 

13 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

PD is 100x better then LOK. Had the LOK palm swell brass grips on the tanfo stock 2 simply because PD wasn't doing them for a while. As soon as PD started making palm swells I bought them. 

I'll eventually try them then. I prefer using my 75 mags and I didn't see PD mention offering an option for such. Probably easier to offer that option with G10 grips.

how is the finish on your A01-LD holding up? my buddy just got a slightly used one (sub 500 rounds) and the finish is so thin you can see through it in some spots. He reached out to CZC about it and they offered to refinish it if he paid full price. 

3 hours ago, bazr57 said:

how is the finish on your A01-LD holding up? my buddy just got a slightly used one (sub 500 rounds) and the finish is so thin you can see through it in some spots. He reached out to CZC about it and they offered to refinish it if he paid full price. 

Full price as in enough to buy a whole other one?

Finish on mine is wearing quick as well.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:20 PM, jubi351 said:

Just my experience on my Tanfo, I like the palm swells on the PD better then Lok because of it being lower.

Interesting. I feel like the higher swell would be better to force your grip higher into the grip tang. Still want to try the PDs but I don't think they offer a CZ75 mag friendly version.

Edited by SuperKing

11 hours ago, SuperKing said:

Full price as in enough to buy a whole other one?

Finish on mine is wearing quick as well.

Interesting. I feel like the higher swell would be better to force your grip higher into the grip tang. Still want to try the PDs but I don't think they offer a CZ75 mag friendly version.

full price as in they wont provide any sort of discount for the finish wearing off so quickly.  there was another comment saying the stock finish is just bluing and that you should get it pvd coated for better durability, i just think its wild that a custom gun made for competition wouldn't come with a good enough finish to last more than a few months. 

The A-01 is not a true custom gun, hand fitter yes like the S2 Orange but not custom.  Shop around and you will find most custom gun s guns go for 5K and up.  2K is not cheap but the hard chrome is over 3K and probably a great finish.

I agree the finish on the A-01 is marginal but you get a machined frame as opposed to the S2 cast.

Well, my A-01 was a true custom because I had them make it exactly to my spec, including slide and frame cuts, but it also cost a lot more than $2k. It also took as long to get as an open gun. You can ask them to do literally whatever you want with it, and they will do it if it is physically/mechanically possible. Mine was finished in PVD when I got it from them. And I told them who to send it to for the PVD. 😂 Finish options were NP3, Hard Chrome or PVD. Cost the same to finish it as my open guns.

12 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Well, my A-01 was a true custom because I had them make it exactly to my spec, including slide and frame cuts, but it also cost a lot more than $2k. It also took as long to get as an open gun. You can ask them to do literally whatever you want with it, and they will do it if it is physically/mechanically possible. Mine was finished in PVD when I got it from them. And I told them who to send it to for the PVD. 😂 Finish options were NP3, Hard Chrome or PVD. Cost the same to finish it as my open guns.

scooby, can you share who you told them to send the gun to for the PVD finish?

I'm betting yall have never paid for PVD coating by itself. It's about $400+- depending on who does it and what surface finish you want. Hard chrome is more and IMO not as good. It's also thicker. 

On mine yeah I can see wear in the front of the frame/dust cover. 

For $2000 I don't mind a blued frame. I'm going to get the right side of the frame serrated or checkered anyways this winter. Also going to blend the hard edge on the trigger guard some too. So after that I'll have the frame PVD coated. Probably just DLC-black. Or honestly just black nitride. 

Made it through Ryan Rocks Charity Blast with it. I did swap to an 11lb recoil spring which took care of the ejection issue I had a couple times. No issues at all through the entire match. I will say though that if you aren't ready to loose some skin don't get the PD aggressive grips. For me I LOVE them but my weak hand has a nice layer of skin missing under the thumb. These grip will glue to your hands. Other then that the only thing I'd really like is for some serrations on the trigger but that's not a big deal really. I only notice my finger slip on a long practice session which may be more due to me shooting for a lot longer then I normally do at a match. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished shooting CO Nats and one of the 6 mags took a giant s#!t. Twice it jammed up. No idea why as all 6 are exactly the same setup. Henning base pads, grams springs and followers, CZ P09 tubes. Both times the last round was jammed at the bottom of the mag. Not exaclty happy with it right now. The A01LD ran 100% though. 

• 1 month later...