Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking a pistol

tbev

Started shooting 3 gun this year after a long hiatus from competition shooting. I have a background in precision air rifle, high power and other slow speed rifle shooting. 

Done a few 3 guns this year and some local outlaw pistol / 2 gun stuff. And it’s becoming rapidly apparent that my only modern pistol is holding back my times a lot. It’s an FNP45T with optic and while the mags are large for 45, they’re still much smaller than properly set up 9mm guns. Not to mention the cost of ammo, increased recoil, and mediocre trigger. 

I’m mostly considering a Sig P320 X5 Legion, or a Canik Rival. I’ve held both and like both triggers and both grips. When I add everything up on paper, it seems like doing everything like adding mass and making the canik shoot nice on light loads etc brings costs close enough to parity. 

Any one have experience with both or maybe went down the same path and have lessons learned they’d like to share? Money is an obstacle and Id rather not spend more than I need to, yet I fear being penny wise and dollar foolish. 

Edited by tbev

9 hours ago, tbev said:

Started shooting 3 gun this year after a long hiatus from competition shooting. I have a background in precision air rifle, high power and other slow speed rifle shooting. 

Done a few 3 guns this year and some local outlaw pistol / 2 gun stuff. And it’s becoming rapidly apparent that my only modern pistol is holding back my times a lot. It’s an FNP45T with optic and while the mags are large for 45, they’re still much smaller than properly set up 9mm guns. Not to mention the cost of ammo, increased recoil, and mediocre trigger. 

I’m mostly considering a Sig P320 X5 Legion, or a Canik Rival. I’ve held both and like both triggers and both grips. When I add everything up on paper, it seems like doing everything like adding mass and making the canik shoot nice on light loads etc brings costs close enough to parity. 

Any one have experience with both or maybe went down the same path and have lessons learned they’d like to share? Money is an obstacle and Id rather not spend more than I need to, yet I fear being penny wise and dollar foolish. 

Which division are you interested in?  The answer to your question will depend greatly on the answer to mine.

8 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Which division are you interested in?  The answer to your question will depend greatly on the answer to mine.

I’m currently running open because I’m a sucker for a red dot on a pistol. I may move back to tacops if they update the rules for pistol optics. 

10 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

How much of that is monkey see-monkey do/I gotta have the hotness?  I give zero weight to equipment surveys and the like.

That’s the million dollar question. I find this hobby to be very much about the latest hotness and buying of the latest and greatest gear. 

fwiw. I’ve got a canik tp9sfx and it’s not bad but I’ve never compared it to a legion it won’t replace my shadow 2s though

As someone who shoots sigs imo you’re going to spend way more on the sig to get it optimal. This might include;

paid or diy grip job

mag release 

Trigger

imo those are a must. Additionally you might end up with 

aftermarket match barrel (factory have very loose chambers and (in)accuracy is well documented. 
tungsten guide rod

I’m not very interested in pistol only events other than for practice. How the gun would fit into non 3-gun USPSA events is less important to me. If I did run a USPSA pistol event, I’d probably run carry optics. It matches most closely with my budget oriented approach to open 3-gun. 

1 hour ago, fireman1776 said:

As someone who shoots sigs imo you’re going to spend way more on the sig to get it optimal. This might include;

paid or diy grip job

mag release 

Trigger

imo those are a must. Additionally you might end up with 

One would spend way more compared to what?

Imo, those things are not a MUST for the Legion X5, they are luxury items that are not required to compete.  You can compete with the Sig out of the box.  I would avoid 147gr ammo.  Sigs are accurate enough using 124 gr or 135 gr ammo. 

7 minutes ago, tbev said:

I’d probably run carry optics. It matches most closely with my budget oriented approach to open 3-gun. 

If looking for a 3-Gun pistol on a budget I would go the Sig or Canik route.  If you feel you want to compete for more than a year or two I would probably suck up the (financial) pain and go the CZ route. 

For the money and after market part availability X5 Legions are a good fit. You can compete with the gun out of the box and add features like trigger, extended mag release, and Tungsten guide rod later as you feel you would like those items.  

Safariland makes a great Level 2 retention GLS holster for it as well.  

Another possible gun to check out are some of the Sig P320 AXG (Aluminum X Grip module) platform guns.  You can change out the grip panels to fit your hand better.  They are a little bit more in price, but the ability to fit the grip to your hand size is worth the squeeze in my eyes.  Again not require but a luxury.  

18 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

One would spend way more compared to what?

Imo, those things are not a MUST for the Legion X5, they are luxury items that are not required to compete.  You can compete with the Sig out of the box.  I would avoid 147gr ammo.  Sigs are accurate enough using 124 gr or 135 gr ammo. 

Compared to the Canik Rival he asked about it the original post. 

The mag release and grip job are non negotiables for my hands. My fingers would activate the factory mag release on the draw because of its location. 

Most people aren’t content with a bone stock gun. If the op is the type that likes to add aftermarket stuff, It’s not difficult to turn a legion into a $2000 pistol. It’s just something to consider. 

1 minute ago, fireman1776 said:

It’s not difficult to turn a legion into a $2000 pistol

I have No idea what you are doing to turn a Legion into a $2000 pistol, unless you are including the optic which you would also have to buy for any other pitsol.

2 minutes ago, fireman1776 said:

The mag release and grip job are non negotiables for my hands. My fingers would activate the factory mag release on the draw because of its location. 

You should mention this in your original post.  You original post made it sound like it is required for the gun to be competitive which is not the case at all.

5 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have No idea what you are doing to turn a Legion into a $2000 pistol, unless you are including the optic which you would also have to buy for any other pitsol.

You should mention this in your original post.  You original post made it sound like it is required for the gun to be competitive which is not the case at all.

$2000 with optic. But one could spend $2k on an iron sighted one if they paid for a grip job. 

I think those three things I listed are must have items for anyone who’s serious about competing. Luckily the grip job stuff can be done with a dremel and $30 of glue and silicon carbide. 

if the op is casual then a stock legion will be fine. Same as a stock canik. Sig has potential to cost more long term is all I’m saying. 

If I were to get into a P320 platform, I'd go with the P320 AXG Pro and put the Lok brass palm swell grips on it.  Do some kind of trigger work and guide rod with 1911 12# spring to make it more better and call it a CO blaster! 

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

If I were to get into a P320 platform, I'd go with the P320 AXG Pro and put the Lok brass palm swell grips on it.  Do some kind of trigger work and guide rod with 1911 12# spring to make it more better and call it a CO blaster! 

That's exactly what I did.  Its a pretty slick setup.  I just have to drop the Gray Guns trigger into it which I have not go to yet. The only think I do not like about the AXG Pro is the limited optic plates available for it.

9 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

That's exactly what I did.  Its a pretty slick setup.  I just have to drop the Gray Guns trigger into it which I have not go to yet. The only think I do not like about the AXG Pro is the limited optic plates available for it.

Just put a DPP on it as it's the best optic available 

5 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

Just put a DPP on it as it's the best optic available 

We can agree to disagree about that optic, but that is what is on there for now.  I think its a great optic for other than direct slide mounted use.  I know you have had great luck with them, but I know many that have sent everyone they purchased back for repair.  I made sure I bought ones with the updated boards, so we will see how many rounds I get out of it.  I will put it through its paces.   

I have also been spoiled by huge windows of the SRO and Romeo 3 XL/Max optics, so there's that.

• 3 months later...

Both are great guns, probably the top 2 polymer options currently. If you plan to shoot CO and cost is the biggest factor I would say it’s hard to beat the value of the canik rival for the total investment needed and still have a competitive CO set up

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As a X5 Legion shooter... I would recommend the Canik route.  You will end up wanting to upgrade the P320 and it gets quite pricey, and honestly at the end of the day.. its not worth the money.  The 2k estimate above doesn't sound too far off... by the time you buy a Legion, optic and plate, 21rd mags, trigger upgrade ... (IMO bare minimum) you're looking at 3-4x the cost of the Canik... which will still have a better trigger.  Just my $0.02

• 1 month later...

Oddly enough, every time I left someone shoot the canik tp9sfx, they all comment how accurate it is and that they love the trigger.   When I bought it, they were something like 350-400.   I'd put it up against a glock 34.  Personally, I think sig p320s suck.  All of them. 

• 4 months later...

Find 2 shooter that have a nice setup who are kind enough to let you try it.  Shoot doubles, transition the gun a bit, and see how it points and feels in your hand.  Bring a few boxes of 124 to the range and let it rip!  Try the shadow 2 as well, it's a quality pistol too.  

• 2 months later...