Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drillable Powder Measure Bars

Having had my SDB since 1992, I've often wondered about having "blanks" made that duplicate the powder measure bars (most likely the small bar as that is all I have needed) that I would drill a fixed hole in for a set measure for my favorite charges. Has anyone else tried this? Would anyone like to get in on a batch order if I design and order some? (I'm not looking to make money on this, just spread out the machining setup cost across a larger number of pieces.)

Edited by FN509Fan

They are not available to my knowledge. Even if they were, by the time you were done screwing around figuring out what size hole was needed (not to mention the risk of drilling too large and thus scrapping the bar), you would probably be better off buying an extra standard one, setting it for what you want, mark it accordingly and move on.

EDIT: Or maybe not! Looking at Dillon's site, it does not look like they sell the bars individually any more.

Edited by Tom S.

I made some special shot and powder bushings for my PW shotshell loader. It can be done but it’s time consuming getting it to throw correctly. Depending on how thick it is and type of powder a .001 makes a difference so you ream or hone to final size. There’s got to be a formula for figuring it out but I haven’t gotten into it that deep because I only needed two. 

Edited by Farmer

On 7/23/2022 at 12:55 PM, FN509Fan said:

Having had my SDB since 1992, I've often wondered about having "blanks" made that duplicate the powder measure bars (most likely the small bar as that is all I have needed) that I would drill a fixed hole in for a set measure for my favorite charges. Has anyone else tried this? Would anyone like to get in on a batch order if I design and order some? (I'm not looking to make money on this, just spread out the machining setup cost across a larger number of pieces.)

I must be missing something...

Why not just get a "regular" powder bar; set it to whatever drop you desire; lock it into place, (epoxy?); wham, bam, you're done?

On 7/25/2022 at 9:55 AM, Tom S. said:

EDIT: Or maybe not! Looking at Dillon's site, it does not look like they sell the bars individually any more.

large #20063- $43.00

Small #20062- $43.00

They are hidden quite well.

3 hours ago, AHI said:

large #20063- $43.00

Small #20062- $43.00

They are hidden quite well.

Dillon has hidden a lot of stuff on their website since re-doing it!  I even tried searching and came up empty. Nice work!

Last time I needed some stuff I could not find it on their site so I asked them for quote for those parts.

All I got was  reply "If you pay the shipping the parts are free".

Most parts were not even subject to wear, just missing on the used press I bought.

20 hours ago, wsl said:

I made Dillon fixed charge bars for a 32swl setup 25 years ago - they worked well.

Thanks for the validation. Back when I started handloading I don't remember if there were options like the micrometer upgrade ($90 ouch) or cheap printed knobs or the one below which looks interesting. All I remember is what at pain it was to tweak the setting after which I'd use my calipers to measure the gate position and recorded it along with my load notes. I have 2 small bars and haven't loaded anything other than for what they are set for in some time.

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/products/clickable-powder-thrower-adjustment-knob

After watching some YouTube videos on how powder measures work and rethinking this idea, any fixed bars would need a crisp edge for cutting powder and would need to stand up to that wear and tear. So having users drill their own hole might not be such a great idea.

• 9 months later...