Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB not de-capping

Hi guys, 

What pin should I use for de capping 9's? One of SDB's is having an issue with pushing out the spent primer, it seems that one out of 20 will fail to come out. Many times it will push it out 3/4 😕 

thanks 

Squirrel 

Yeah, if there's any sharp or square edge it will get caught in the primer and draw it back up. If there's burrs on it to it will cause the problem. You want a nice rounded, smooth yet steep point

Definitely sounds like primer drawback or the die is not set properly. When using the RCBS, try adjusting the pin further down. You can’t do that on the Dillon die. Also, try cutting a 45 degree angle on the tip then smooth up the edges. This has worked for me in the past. If you wanted to switch to a universal decapper, look into the FW Arms popper die. It’s the best out there and you will never have drawback issues again  

52 minutes ago, MJC082581 said:

Definitely sounds like primer drawback or the die is not set properly. When using the RCBS, try adjusting the pin further down. You can’t do that on the Dillon die. Also, try cutting a 45 degree angle on the tip then smooth up the edges. This has worked for me in the past. If you wanted to switch to a universal decapper, look into the FW Arms popper die. It’s the best out there and you will never have drawback issues again  

I think SDB dies are unique for the press, other company's dies will not fit it.

• 2 months later...

I have had problems with some of the "sealed" spent primers being difficult to de-prime. I believe it depends on the sealer used. I have found NORMA brass very difficult to de-prime / I don't even bother anymore - they can break your pin. Although it is good brass.

6 hours ago, WDG710 said:

I have had problems with some of the "sealed" spent primers being difficult to de-prime. I believe it depends on the sealer used. I have found NORMA brass very difficult to de-prime / I don't even bother anymore - they can break your pin. Although it is good brass.

I bought a well used RCBS JR3 and a Lee decapping die with extra pins to decap before cleaning and it has come in handy with cases with tight primers. I've seen some cases where the primer pocket needs reaming at the opening in order to reseat the primer. Hardly worth the effort for 9mm cases.