Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicon carbide grip, how to tone down or remove?

Twilk73

Gun pic

I recently started to modify a pistol for competition. After removing grip checking I epoxied and added 60 grit silicon carbide. It looks great but while dryfire practicing with it I noticed the extra grip is not so good in some areas where I want my fingers to slide. Also I added this 60 grit to the bottom of the trigger guard for my support hands and it just shredded my pointer finger. 

so how do I tone it down successfully, remove it in some areas or just remove it completely and start over? 

The 60 grit feels nice, my hands are calloused from being a mechanic, but it only took a few draws before my pointer finger was raw. I haven’t even shot this live yet so I’m thinking this might have been a big mistake or a learning moment lol.

Edited by Twilk73

3 hours ago, jim vaughan said:

Gently tap the unwanted area with a small hammer. This blunts the sharp edges.

This was what I ended up doing and it worked. 

Is there anyway to remove it completely to redo it. 

it came out great looking but now that it’s done I realize the pattern could be improved. 

On 7/13/2022 at 9:49 PM, Twilk73 said:

Gun pic

I recently started to modify a pistol for competition. After removing grip checking I epoxied and added 60 grit silicon carbide. It looks great but while dryfire practicing with it I noticed the extra grip is not so good in some areas where I want my fingers to slide. Also I added this 60 grit to the bottom of the trigger guard for my support hands and it just shredded my pointer finger. 

so how do I tone it down successfully, remove it in some areas or just remove it completely and start over? 

The 60 grit feels nice, my hands are calloused from being a mechanic, but it only took a few draws before my pointer finger was raw. I haven’t even shot this live yet so I’m thinking this might have been a big mistake or a learning moment lol.

Where did you get 60 grit SC? Thanks

I'm also interested in how one goes about sanding off old SC to put on a fresh batch of SC. I don't use a Dremel much. The sanding wheels don't seem robust enough to remove old SC.

Edited by Flea

You might be able to find something to soften the epoxy like denatured alcohol or something. 

I had one I did with JB weld, that s#!t's on there. I used a dremel and grinding stones to get it off. I went through several grinding stones before I finished. 

8 hours ago, Flea said:

Where did you get 60 grit SC? Thanks

I'm also interested in how one goes about sanding off old SC to put on a fresh batch of SC. I don't use a Dremel much. The sanding wheels don't seem robust enough to remove old SC.

I bought it here. They sell it by the pound. They have several different grits. 

https://cuttingedgesupply.store/products/silicon-carbide-tumbler-media

13 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Here it is called Araldyte. It's a 2 part epoxy but isn't like jb weld. 

I went too thick with tungsten on a sig x5 grip and was able to peel it all off. It was only on for a day though, that might have helped. 

Interesting.  I've never seen a 2 part epoxy with a curing time so long that you could mildly heat it a day after application and pull it off.  That could be handy.