Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Everglades .380 95g Plated bullets for PCC?

himurax13

Has anyone used the .380 95 grain double struck heavy plated bullets for PCC? Were you able to make PF? What OAL did you use.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by himurax13

I ran these a while back. Made PF, but have to run fast like 1350 plus FPS. Accuracy was OK. Very soft shooting, but I had problems keeping them straight when seating in my 650., but could have just been me. ?Seemed more trouble than it was worth. Know a few guys that run these for steel challenge with no PF. 

I went to 115gr RN plated Everglades and didn't see much difference. I like the way they feel and recoil is straight back, dot doesn't move. I have tried every weight and combo and like this the best. We run these on our 3--PCCs & pistols.

gerritm

No minimum bullet weight for pcc. To be accurate your going to have to push the velocity close to 1500 fps. 

But you don't really need it to be super accurate. For uspsa or steel challenge.  Several national,state, regional,etc championships have been won . Using 90/100 gr bullets in a pcc.

Edited by AHI

since I shoot Steel Challenge I am not worried about PF.  But I am always on the lookout for something reliable that is like shooting a .22.  I just tested the Everglades 95gr with approx. 3.0gr of Clays (I say approximately because I didn't weigh each charge).  Testing was done with a PSA AR-V with a Taccom XLW Barrel and the Taccom Air Buffer.  The brass just dribbled out of the ejection port.  It was soft and accurate as best as I could tell.  Am I making the switch?  Probably not.  My downloaded 124gr load works just fine and I'm sitting on a mess already made.

Bullet Wt. Powder Charge Primer OAL Vel: High Vel: Low Vel: Ave. Spread Std. Dev. PF

Everglades 95 Clays-C 3.0 +/- CCI SPP 1.05 992 920 956.0 72 22 90.8

• 2 weeks later...

Have not used Everglades bullets but I did do some load dev with Hornady 90 grain XTP. 

power factor wasn’t an issue (about 6 grains CFE Pistol) and accuracy was good in multiple platforms. 

expensive bullets, that was the only downside 

The last few times that I've run a Chrono at a major match, I've noticed the exact opposite.  Folks were running 147s, 150s, and 160s in their PCCs.  I don't like the feel personally, but they loved it....

On 7/21/2022 at 2:02 PM, Braxton1 said:

The last few times that I've run a Chrono at a major match, I've noticed the exact opposite.  Folks were running 147s, 150s, and 160s in their PCCs.  I don't like the feel personally, but they loved it....

While this is just speculation I think that would be because the recoil impulse is more of a push than a snap.  Plus they can use less powder for the round. As a test I loaded a 124gr and a 147gr with the same charge.  Personally I didn't notice a difference in recoil but the chrono showed 120pf for the 124s and 135pf for the 147s.  So they might be loading heavy heads for one competition and lighter for another.  This way you don't have to change your powder drop.

In Steel Challenge we aren't worried about Chrono...

Edited by bigdawgbeav