Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 MAX Upgraded: The adventure continues!

HOGRIDER

Just received the MAX back from The Sig Armorer; and have to say after some limited dry firing, his new Cradle Trigger along with his Competition Action Job feels very good!  Included are a couple extra TB springs that allows the pull to drop ~1.5#.

Robert stated the KKM barrel required little to no fitting...........IMO, lock-up feels perfect!  Also after talking with Luke at KKM, I'm going to try some N330 in my load development.

Got about 10 more days of restricted activity from my surgery, then it's off to the range for some bench rest/chrono tests.

I hope to have some positive results to share once I find the load this KKM really likes while getting in some serious range practice.

👍

TSA-Right.png

TSA Cradle.png

KKM.png

2 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

My kkm was drop in and very very snug. There is zero play between barrel and slide. 

let us know what load you find best. 

Will do!  Have some N330 enroute; and after I'm finished with this medical restriction, I'll be testing for somewhere around  1050-1100fps with my 124/125 JHPs.

Same with the MAX; the KKM has excellent fitment with the slide!

👍

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Why N330 vs N320?

After extensive discussion with Luke McIntire at KKM, he disclosed some of the components/criteria they use when testing the 9mm barrels for max accuracy and function..........

I'm thinking with the velocities they claim these barrels like, it's a bit easier to get there with the N330 vs N320.  But again, that's just a WAG of mine..........

😉

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

What velocities are we talking about?

There not as hot as I was running in the stock barrel; but he told me for my 1:16 twist to aim for 1050-1100 with a 124/125JHP.  They test with the Hornady 124 XTP..............

👍

I had Burke add that trigger to my 320 X5 Legion as well.  I like the characteristics, but overall I think the trigger pull is too much.  After a long session with around 800 rounds the trigger pulled almost doubled.  Given it is dirty and needs a good cleaning now, but I have to give him a buzz.  Glad things are working out for you!

26 minutes ago, Tabasco said:

I had Burke add that trigger to my 320 X5 Legion as well.  I like the characteristics, but overall I think the trigger pull is too much.  After a long session with around 800 rounds the trigger pulled almost doubled.  Given it is dirty and needs a good cleaning now, but I have to give him a buzz.  Glad things are working out for you!

While I haven't had any range time with the new set up, I did question Robert concerning the as-delivered pull weight.  He replied that the pistol is shipped with a +10% Trigger Bar Spring for positive reset. 

He also included 2 additional TBSs that are -20% for overall weight reduction.........

If your pull has doubled after 800 rounds, I would do a close detail strip of the FCU to make sure all the springs that affect pull weight are intact........

👍

2 hours ago, Tabasco said:

Roger that.  He sent me some extra springs as well.  Going to check if anything got into the sear. Trigger does not feel gritty at all, but the break is tight (still crisp though).

Sounds good! 

I'd also take a close look at the striker assembly as it's another part of that "break"...........

Good luck!  And be sure and report back your findings.

:)

So I had more than 800 rounds through the gun, probably 1200-1300 (took a Steoger class). So this bad boy was dirty.  

So cleaned the FCU up, checked the striker assembly (all good there). The sear springs and trigger return spring are good.  It dropped back down a bit.  Was pulling at around 7.5-8# pre-cleaning, and post was ranging 5 to 4.5# post.  Clean break, very little over travel. 

Tried the stock trigger while I was putzing around and it was closer to 3.25# but not as clean a break.  

His trigger fits my hand amazing, but for USPSA I might opt for the lighter pull and try another option. I’ll caveat this with his work on the action is amazing!  

Hogrider, let us know how the KKM works for you.

Edited by Tabasco

On 6/11/2022 at 7:19 PM, Tabasco said:

Ive had TSA do multiple trigger jobs for me. they generally pull around 2-3lb. if yours is at more than that, something is wrong.

7 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

Ive had TSA do multiple trigger jobs for me. they generally pull around 2-3lb. if yours is at more than that, something is wrong.

Just got my P320 MAX back from Robert and due to recovery, have not had a chance to completely disassemble the FCU for detailed inspection.  I did also receive his "Cradle" trigger which does not use any "weld spots" or travel screws of any kind.  I did notice the weld spot on the back of the trigger bar.

Would sure like to hear any additional details/mods that you may want to share as to his modifications.

👍 

18 hours ago, Tabasco said:

So I had more than 800 rounds through the gun, probably 1200-1300 (took a Steoger class). So this bad boy was dirty.  

So cleaned the FCU up, checked the striker assembly (all good there). The sear springs and trigger return spring are good.  It dropped back down a bit.  Was pulling at around 7.5-8# pre-cleaning, and post was ranging 5 to 4.5# post.  Clean break, very little over travel. 

Tried the stock trigger while I was putzing around and it was closer to 3.25# but not as clean a break.  

His trigger fits my hand amazing, but for USPSA I might opt for the lighter pull and try another option. I’ll caveat this with his work on the action is amazing!  

Hogrider, let us know how the KKM works for you.

Those numbers, pre and post, cleaning seem way too high. 

When you say you "tried the stock trigger while putzing..." did you just replace the trigger itself with the stock trigger or did you replace all trigger related components, i.e. trigger bar, springs, sear, etc. with the stock components?

Edited by ddc
clarified question

6 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Just got my P320 MAX back from Robert and due to recovery, have not had a chance to completely disassemble the FCU for detailed inspection.  I did also receive his "Cradle" trigger which does not use any "weld spots" or travel screws of any kind.  I did notice the weld spot on the back of the trigger bar.

Would sure like to hear any additional details/mods that you may want to share as to his modifications.

👍 

The weld spots your seeing are adjusting the pre/over travel. The main method of his trigger job is reshaping the striker/sear interface. 

1 hour ago, Rich406 said:

The weld spots your seeing are adjusting the pre/over travel. The main method of his trigger job is reshaping the striker/sear interface. 

Yes, I fully understand the purpose of the weld spots.....

ASAP, I'll take the FCU and Striker Assembly apart for thorough understanding.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

👍

Mine was never that heavy.  It got lighter after dry fire/live fire, but never that weight.  FYI I ran GG springs in one of my guns with Burke’s trigger job and it ran fine

3 hours ago, ddc said:

Those numbers, pre and post, cleaning seem way too high. 

When you say you "tried the stock trigger while putzing..." did you just replace the trigger itself with the stock trigger or did you replace all trigger related components, i.e. trigger bar, springs, sear, etc. with the stock components?

Just replaced the trigger shoe.  Everything else was the same since TSA did the trigger job on it.  I didn’t put in any after market parts.

9 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Yeah, I talked with him.  I tried his custom trigger and it averaged 4.5# when he sent it back.  He said all guns that leave his shop are the lightest pull they can be, so he sent me some extra springs to try out.  He did say his trigger is going to be a bit higher and that moving to the stock trigger would be lighter, but would be more overtravel and not as clean a break. So I kept at it.

35 minutes ago, Tabasco said:

Yeah, I talked with him.  I tried his custom trigger and it averaged 4.5# when he sent it back.  He said all guns that leave his shop are the lightest pull they can be, so he sent me some extra springs to try out.  He did say his trigger is going to be a bit higher and that moving to the stock trigger would be lighter, but would be more overtravel and not as clean a break. So I kept at it.

I had the same experience using his -20% trigger coming in right at 4.5# without any break-in from usage.  IMO, having a solid, positive reset is important to Robert when doing his trigger package.  And I fully understand that as I tried the GG competition straight trigger kit and ended up putting the intermediate TB spring in with the competition sear springs as I felt the reset was a bit too weak with the competition TB spring.

One thing that really stands out is all the different triggers/springs/packages that are available for about any shooter's personal liking.  It's a win-win IMO!

:)

Got a chance to set up at the Range yesterday, but with the intense heat/humidity, I should have waited until a bit cooler day!  I did get a few base line chrono figures; and have to say this KKM barrel is FAST!  My guesstimates of N330 yielded a higher velocities than I initially expected!

My goal is to get somewhere between 1050-1100fps, and the "slowest" batch I tested was averaging 1138/141PF.  I do believe I've got enough data for some slower tests rounds!

The "slowest" group from my plastic bench rest:

PD124N330T1.png

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2022 at 9:51 PM, B585 said:

Nice.  I am looking forward to range report!!!

On 6/5/2022 at 1:44 PM, fireman1776 said:

My kkm was drop in and very very snug. There is zero play between barrel and slide. 

let us know what load you find best. 

On 6/6/2022 at 4:41 PM, Boomstick303 said:

What velocities are we talking about?

While I'm still on the road to recovery, the wx cooled off a bit and I felt good enough to at least get out and do some serious testing!

IMO, persistence with precise ladder loads will eventually yield much better results; especially with a Match Grade KKM barrel.  I still haven't got to test the two versions of Zero 125g JHPs on hand; but these 124 Precision Deltas are definitely not lacking in performance!

I have not been to the Range for chrono testing of this particular load yet; but based on previous testing of very similar powder weights, I feel confident they will be in the 137-138PF range.

Sorry it's taken so long to report back with some encouraging results............

R347.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp