Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cracked 2011 slide question

jimbullet

Just getting your thoughts. If a 2011 slide, which in this case is an  STI 2011 40 s&w slide appears to have a hairline crack just underneath the extractor. Just wanted to confirm my thoughts is that this is a non critical area and therefore I should be able to continue to shoot it. Is that correct?

I have also read somewhere that, to reduce the possibility of cracks on the slide, I should file down sharp edges to 90 degrees, Is this correct? Its just that the ledge near the breech face appears to have a sharp angle underneath which I have just noticed and thought to file this down just to minimise the risk.

Edited by jimbullet
to be more clearer

A cracked slide is a cracked slide. Cracks grow.  Replace it.  Buy a good one from Brazos, Warwick tactical, etc.  Do not buy one from Caspian or STI.

A pic would be great. If you are talking about a crack you can see on the outside of the slide then it’s toast. If you have a crack in the flat area just below the extractor (looking through the bottom of the slide) than I wouldn’t worry. 

3 hours ago, donnyglock said:

A pic would be great. If you are talking about a crack you can see on the outside of the slide then it’s toast. If you have a crack in the flat area just below the extractor (looking through the bottom of the slide) than I wouldn’t worry. 

image.thumb.jpeg.11ac1c7cee7efcd9fcbd9f4796ec4b90.jpeg

This is my best quality photo which hardly captures the thin crack which I encircled on the picture. Its a hairline crack which does not show on the outside of the slide.

Is there anything I need to do to stop it from spreading or I'll just have to see if it does?

You should be fine, but pay attention to it. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing you're well over 20k rounds at this point, and that slide's days are numbered. I'd recommend greasing the rails on your slide and your barrel lug/link areas to extend its life as much as possible.

Thanks everyone, this gives me some peace of mind that I can still compete with it for hopefully the two upcoming matches and shoot it a little more after that.

- Im not sure of its round count but I'd guess I'm near 20k of 180PF rounds through it and yes, I keep the gun lubed with break free on the rails, lugs and slide stop. I thought 2011 STI pistols  should have a 100k round mileage before serious breakage could occur. At least thats what someone told me - sounds like thats all  wrong info.

I never thought that area was a possible stress area until now.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to parts wear unfortunately. Breakfree is a pretty good lubricant, but I'd recommend using actual grease (like Slide-Glide from this website). Grease does a better job than oil/lubricant at protecting parts from wear. Be sure to use the appropriate thickness of grease for the weather conditions you're shooting in. It will require your cleaning the gun more often (grease traps debris more than oil), but at this point I'd say protecting your slide from wear is more important. 

How often are you cleaning the gun? That could have had an impact on the formation of the crack as well. 

1 hour ago, Baynewrady said:

How often are you cleaning the gun? That could have had an impact on the formation of the crack as well. 

Short of massive wear causing a gun to no longer fit properly, how does cleaning, or not, affect slides cracking?

2 hours ago, Baynewrady said:

There are a lot of variables when it comes to parts wear unfortunately. Breakfree is a pretty good lubricant, but I'd recommend using actual grease (like Slide-Glide from this website). Grease does a better job than oil/lubricant at protecting parts from wear. Be sure to use the appropriate thickness of grease for the weather conditions you're shooting in. It will require your cleaning the gun more often (grease traps debris more than oil), but at this point I'd say protecting your slide from wear is more important.

On the grease v. oil question, if a modern car engine can last 100k+ running 0W-20, which is like water, I'm sure your handgun is going to be just fine with oil of just about any kind.  Doesn't really matter if it's vegetable oil, CLP or Mobil-1.  And while oil helps remove impurities via wicking action, grease traps dirt, sand, powder residue, and all kinds of other stuff, which is detrimental in terms of function and wear.  About the only positive for using grease is it feels good because it masks sloppy fits.

50 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Short of massive wear causing a gun to no longer fit properly, how does cleaning, or not, affect slides cracking?

Not cleaning your gun leaves excess debris that is being reciprocated back into the frame/the riles etc... as the gun is fired. The less the better. 2011's these days (depending on slide/rail/frame fit) can go quite awhile without cleaning and still function, that doesn't mean it's a best practice or optimal. Only cleaning when functionality is compromised could have led to OP's problem.

14 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

On the grease v. oil question, if a modern car engine can last 100k+ running 0W-20, which is like water, I'm sure your handgun is going to be just fine with oil of just about any kind.  Doesn't really matter if it's vegetable oil, CLP or Mobil-1.  And while oil helps remove impurities via wicking action, grease traps dirt, sand, powder residue, and all kinds of other stuff, which is detrimental in terms of function and wear.  About the only positive for using grease is it feels good because it masks sloppy fits.

Yes, I'm sure owners of Bugattis/Ferraris/Lamborghini's are using 0W-20 in their engines. Certainly not a synthetic grease of any kind. That would be preposterous -_-. 

Redirecting your statement to the context of this thread: any high-end 2011 manufacturer recommends grease. When I received my SVI it came greased up, along with a recommended grease product from the factory. In talking with sponsored shooters from PT and SVI, I've also found that grease is used more often than not, especially on parts/areas that see a lot of violence (slide stop pins, barrel lugs, etc..) 

OP was asking for suggestions, and I gave my opinion on the subject. Ultimately my advice is worth as much as you're paying for it ;) YMMV. There's actually been a few threads/research on this subject and the consensus always leads to: grease protects parts from wear better than oil. If you find evidence of otherwise, please send it my way, I'd be interested to read it. 

23 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Facts.