Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DaVinci Automatic Decapping machine

Earlier this year I purchased the Davinci Machining Automatic Decapping Machine to help process brass. With the cost of components being what they are, it was important to make loading ammunition as easy as possible when it actually gets into my Dillon 650.

I have been very happy with the results from owning a rollsizer, so I looked at their decapping machine, but the price was a little out of my range, and DaVinci has been a sponsor for USPSA so I wanted to give their machine a try. Plus, I was staying in Florida for a couple months and was closer to them, so faster/cheaper shipping.

The fit and finish of the machine is very nice. It uses the same diameter tubing as the rollsizer.com so I was able to re-use the adapter from the rollsizer machine for the Dillon case feeder. My one point of criticism is the machine _should_ come with one, or at least provide an option for you to. In the meantime, you can order it from rollsizer.

The machine has fittings on the bottom for tubing, for both the spent primers as well as finished brass. The diameters are as follows:

3/4-Inch ID
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZC1YG9X

5/16-Inch ID
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G9YY7GT

The 3/4 inch one is a little big for the processed 9mm brass, but I erred on the side of larger since I also plan to deprime 40S&W. The 5/16ths for the spent small pistol primers is a little tight, it could probably be larger. If you are using large pistol primers you will need a larger inner diameter. It took a couple orders and returns to get diameters that worked, so hopefully this at least gives you a starting point and will save some hassle.

The other thing to be aware of, is the collet(?) that the decapping pin cycles through is threaded, and you need to ensure that it is properly tightened. If not, it will slowly loosen and could fall out and cause the machine to jam up. Finger tight works.

Here's a video of the machine in action, before I had the tubes arrive.

16 minutes ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

Would you recommend it? I’m between this and the rollsizer product. 

Yes, I would, if you already are invested in other automated brass prep steps like roll-sizing. By roll-sizing and de-priming the brass as separate steps in dedicated machines, it makes the loading process on my 650 a lot easier, which for me is a quality of life improvement. It makes the press feel a lot closer to what it feels like when loading brand new starline brass, which is worth a lot to me since you can take 5cpr range pickup brass and make it feel like 20cpr when you go to the loading stage. I still use starline brass in major matches since I don't want to spend the time sorting by headstamp to ensure consistent ejection in my open gun, but for club matches and practice, I am very happy with the results.

I will however say that the automatic rollsizer was a better value, since it eliminated bad rounds that wouldn't case gauge at the end of a loading session. The de-priming machine didn't improve the quality of the rounds in any way that matters in pistol (perhaps for precision rifle?), but it does cut down on the mess and maybe cuts the amount of exposure to harmful chemicals since the spent primers get piped into a tube and into a sealed container. That's worth it for me.

I've put at least 5k rounds through it in a big batch and didn't have any issues with it. When you give it already cleaned brass you can run it at speed 3 and it goes quick, dirty brass I run it at speed 2 or speed 1 because the grime on the cases can make them a little sticky so it needs a bit more dwell time so everything functions correctly.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/25/2022 at 11:18 AM, sc68cal said:

Earlier this year I purchased the Davinci Machining Automatic Decapping Machine to help process brass. With the cost of components being what they are, it was important to make loading ammunition as easy as possible when it actually gets into my Dillon 650.

How's it been working for you? I'm trying to decide between this and the Rollsizer one. Output speed seems to be about the same. How trouble-free / jam-free is it?

17 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

How's it been working for you? I'm trying to decide between this and the Rollsizer one. Output speed seems to be about the same. How trouble-free / jam-free is it?

It's been very useful. I think in 10k rounds I've had maybe one or two stoppages where the case got stuck on the decapping pin or the little caliber insert got caught in front of the feeding tube. Overall it's a very helpful machine

On 12/25/2022 at 1:58 AM, mkmckinley said:

Ihow does it handle gunk from the spent cases? Is it easy to clean burnt primer crud every so often?

The majority of my brass was washed and rollsized before I got the machine, but a recent batch I did run through the ADM before washing and there wasn't much buildup in the machine itself. Most of the gunk stays in the case feeder or the vinyl tube between the case feeder and the ADM. I have tubes for spent primers and decapped brass so the gunk is minimal. Just wiping the base of the machine where the rotating disc is seems to be the only place where grime can build up.

On 12/22/2022 at 12:46 PM, Dazhi said:

I assume you need a case feeder connected to the feeding tube? Can you show how you set up the case feeder?  Does it have to be Dillon case feeder or Hornady one works too?

I have a Dillon case feeder. I'll share pictures when I return home in a couple weeks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...