Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

750 Powder measure fail safe rod question

My first 750, trying to orient the PM so the fail safe rod is straight puts a pretty good bind on the whole linkage.

If I turn the PM like this, it is smooth.

42173352-0C6D-4A2C-9C11-3153300267BB.jpeg

42 minutes ago, 0099 said:

The 550 has a better design, hmmm.

4E75BF25-5EA2-4E17-9901-9C4B061CB283.jpeg

That's the old style powder measure. I think you'll find if you buy a new one you'll get one like 0099's.

I think I had to bend the elbow link to get it straight up and down on my 750, the one I got for my 650 worked just fine.

2 hours ago, AHI said:

first you need to line up the powder measure. With the fail safe rod bracket.

That is what got me to here.  Having the PM and the FS rod bracket aligned puts the whole linkage in a bind operating the press, even with the fail safe adjustment wing nut backed off.

I will start over on this today, but it sure seems like the FS rod is just not fitting the powder measure brackets properly.

I will say this is a really nice press.  It is immediately apparent something is wrong when the FS rod is aligned with the bracket vs having the rod 10 deg off.   Maybe I missed something, but I’m really using the manual and YouTube vids a lot.

This pic shows a lot.  The binding is not present with the PM 10 deg out of alignment.  If I rotate the PM in alignment that offset section almost seems to need more offset.

C32AA2B4-4442-46ED-AEC3-81EABAE37916.thumb.jpeg.05a604044f1c62c7983e64d95b44ed8c.jpeg

I wonder what the improvements are over this original 550 PM, which has been flawless.

57E28A79-3FFC-4A68-AC58-238151DDA75C.jpeg.7907594d52c6f98f6aea4683b5d14a0e.jpeg

8 hours ago, sharko said:

That's the old style powder measure. I think you'll find if you buy a new one you'll get one like 0099's.

I think I had to bend the elbow link to get it straight up and down on my 750, the one I got for my 650 worked just fine.

That’s what I’m thinking, the elbow needs work.   Seems like mild steel and should take a little bending.

Thank you all for the input BTW.

You do not need to bend your linkage arm.  You are not going to get it perfectly straight up and down, but that is OK.  It works perfectly at a slight angle.  Are you putting the powder check in the next station?  You will need to turn your powder measure to clear that if you are.  My powder measure is not parallel to the front edge of my bench like yours, it angles 20 or 30 degrees toward straightening out the linkage rod.

Mike

58 minutes ago, 0099 said:

No powder check yet, that may change.

I predict If I don’t straighten this out, the fail safe bushing will have a short service life.

2725DDBB-8DE2-40EC-8B9F-2F0EE81B764D.jpeg

The fail-safe rod on the 750 is a known wonky item.
Uniquetek sell a HUNDRED DOLLAR thing to smooth that out, if you are that gucci.

It bothered me enough to go the "old Dillon Powder drop" route and disconnected the fail-safe altogether and use springs to bring the powder measure bar back into battery.
This requires more attention to your process and can give you double charges if you "blow your flow", but it made the press so much smoother.  YMMV.

Best,
David

I think you need to rotate your powder measure more.  It should be straighter than the additional photo you shared where you were concerned about the bushing service life.  I have made about 7,000 rounds on my press and I am still using the same bushing.  I know that is not a ton compared to some, but it has given me zero problems.

Mike

1 minute ago, VortecMAX said:

I think you need to rotate your powder measure more.  It should be straighter than the additional photo you shared where you were concerned about the bushing service life.  I have made about 7,000 rounds on my press and I am still using the same bushing.  I know that is not a ton compared to some, but it has given me zero problems.

Mike

Agreed. Something is seriously amiss unless the 750 rod is supposed to be that crooked

Your failsafe rod is definitely off. The lower of the two sharp bends (on the lower end of the horizontal part that goes through the bellcrank) should be about 90 degrees.

It's a known issue, and there was a fairly recent batch that was way off, as yours looks to be. Dillon will warranty it for you, if you contact them.

your rod is bent. Powder measure needs to be turned clockwise . To line up with the bracket. Then looking at your picture . Rod needs to be bent back to the right. Almost straight. Have had to adjust(bend) several for club members who could not figure this out.

Edited by AHI

Just got off the phone with Dillon. They say the FS rod angle is normal.  Really?

But watching the Dillon  vids, they all seem to have an angle, not a straight drop.

I understand you questioning the angle.  I did too when I first set up my press.  It works fine though.  It just messes with my OCD.  Just turn the powder measure to where the rod is as straight up and down as you can get it, tighten it down, and forget about it.  There is slop in the bushing to account for the angle.  If you install a powder check die, you will have to turn your powder measure to clear it.  Mine just barely clears the powder check assembly with a Double Alpha knob installed.

Mike

Edited by VortecMAX

I just adjusted it a bit. Sent 100 cases thru in a dry run and it works well even with the FS rod tilted.

I could easily bend this thing, and make it pretty, but I’ll wait till I have a spare rod to try.

Lots to learn.

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

Your failsafe rod is definitely off. The lower of the two sharp bends (on the lower end of the horizontal part that goes through the bellcrank) should be about 90 degrees.

It's a known issue, and there was a fairly recent batch that was way off, as yours looks to be. Dillon will warranty it for you, if you contact them.

That is what it looks like to me.

Had the same issue with a 750 I bought. Had binding on the rod and the plastic bushing. I figured that plastic would be chewed though in no time. On mine I tweaked the z bend that goes through the powder bar return linkage. Slight bend to bring it closer to 2 90 Degree bends. Then That rod could hang there and line up with the bushing retainer, where as before it would have to be forced to be inline. Works mint now! 

The picture shows rod pre bent and how it would have to stay. The last is After I bent it a bit more it would lay straight vertical 
dCM65dD.jpg

PpfOUcS.jpg

K2sR7GL.jpg

Edited by McTrigger

The McTrigger fix!   Some of the guys above you were trying to tell me that too, and that’s what the fix looked like to me too.

That rod should be mild steel and cold bendable.   I’ll just bend the damn thing and bet I sleep better.   I had just hatched a plan in my head last night to swap that measure with a spare I have on my 550 .44 setup.

All good input from you all.  I have learned, but I’ll be on my knees with a home improvement project for a few days.   Carpet tear out and LVT floor.

Thanks all.

I couldn’t take it. 
prepped for surgery.

8E9C0DD6-605A-4104-B0A1-871A7363A71F.jpeg.941a36743dc6cc049761701f62fc7e25.jpeg

Heated it a dull red, it bent easily .  I was able to create more of an “axle” that did not bind.

Mr dremel helped a bit too, opened up the radius a bit.

Crikey, pics not loading