Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drill/Tap Polymer Frame?

SJC did something similar for their Glock frame mount. It used the trigger pin as the back mount, but added bushings on either side of the dust cover with a threaded pin (I think) that went through the bushings for the front. The dust cover had to be bored on each side to insert the bushings. My understanding is that this was user doable, but SJC did offer the service if you sent in your frame. I haven't heard anything about undue cracking, but haven't really looked too hard.

Yep, anytime you drill, cut, grind a polymer frame you are asking for trouble. Even just grinding material (under trigger guard for example) could lead to tiny cracks or weaken the structure. If you could find a way to 'bond' the mount to the frame then it may survive, but it would depend on the bonding agent. Not aware of anyone that has done it though.

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

Do some searching for super slow motion video of polymer framed pistols being shot. The polymer frames flex and wiggle around like a wet noodle during recoil. 

Same thing with the Cmore sight. It looks like a fish swimming every shot.

Did just that on a Ruger 22/45 frame. 6 holes with locktite. Lasted about 500 rounds and shot loose. The threads eventually just stripped. No cracks but that is with a .22. Now have a Vortex on the reciever.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:03 PM, TheSouthernMarksman said:

Before we start, understand I have no intention of doing this, I just got curious this morning if it were even possible to drill and tap the frame of a polymer pistol for a red dot mount. I would assume due to the flexing of the frame, you’d be setting yourself up for cracks pretty fast. Just curious. 

I'm glad you do not intend to do that.😀 Please note that any drill, which is properly sharpened for  plastic without any problem, can drill this material.😉

there is special threaded inserts for polymer  materials.

Edited by yigal