Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PC9 loads for SC

Hi Everyone, 

I am not sure what forum this would be most appropriate so I apologize if I am in the wrong place. What is a good starting load for SC with a Ruger PC9, I have a number of powders and  .356/7" bullets from 90g to 170g. What do you guys recommend?

thanks

Squirrel  

For static steel I like 2.8 of Titegroup under a 124 bullet. These are under 120 pf loads, but run good in 14" barrels. For my 5" sleeved pcc's I bring that up to 3.1 of TG. I go for predictable dot movement and I'm still working out my loads/powder. For falling steel you may want some extra punch for knocking down the steel,.. but it comes down to how your rifle cycles and your desired dot movement.  At Walls of Steel matches I've had no problems with either load. See you this spring at Harvard,.. Dom

Is this really the older PC9 "Police Carbine" or the current PC Carbine?   I have a current PC Carbine with a 16" barrel and I use a 125 gr Blue RN coated bullet with 4.0 gr of either Titegroup or Alliant Sport Pistol for a PF of about 145.  Unless you are willing to play around with the recoil springs, a PF under 135 or so may give cycling problems.

10 hours ago, ParrytheWind said:

For static steel I like 2.8 of Titegroup under a 124 bullet. These are under 120 pf loads, but run good in 14" barrels. For my 5" sleeved pcc's I bring that up to 3.1 of TG. I go for predictable dot movement and I'm still working out my loads/powder. For falling steel you may want some extra punch for knocking down the steel,.. but it comes down to how your rifle cycles and your desired dot movement.  At Walls of Steel matches I've had no problems with either load. See you this spring at Harvard,.. Dom

Hey Dominic good to hear from you,  I actually have not even pulled the trigger on one of these yet, just throwing around the idea. I picked up a Ruger target lite this past fall and first impressions are really good thought I may try the centerfire out; one gets bored not shooting matches for four months 😕... 

6 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Is this really the older PC9 "Police Carbine" or the current PC Carbine?   I have a current PC Carbine with a 16" barrel and I use a 125 gr Blue RN coated bullet with 4.0 gr of either Titegroup or Alliant Sport Pistol for a PF of about 145.  Unless you are willing to play around with the recoil springs, a PF under 135 or so may give cycling problems.

Im sorry no, this is the new PC Carbine I apologize for the confusion. Would you know if there are lighter recoil springs out there ? 

thanks 

Squirrel 

Edited by Squirrel45

I have run my PC Carbine light with no problems. I just did some recent tests with some very light loads just to see if it would run.  Basically anywhere from 105fp up to 120, depending on the test.  I didn't chrono with the PC Carbine, that was done on another gun.  I just was doing function testing.  But the light loads were no problem at all and still tossed the brass well. I do not believe I have changed the recoil spring at this point.

That being said, my PC Carbine barrel is out at Wiland getting cut down and sleeved.  Not sure how that will change performance since there is going to be a much shorter barrel on there.  But I will function test the same loads just to see.

I have one of the Willand modified barrels. Saves a lot of weight.  Run 115grn Berry's with 3.2grn of Clean Shot with no issues.  For steel there seems little performance change.  Waiting for Taccom's fixed barrel solution to eliminate the breakdown issues.  Should save even more weight! 

Thanks everyone for the replies, I pulled the trigger on one should be in next week, traded off one of my wheel guns that I never use.  Was thinking of using AA#2/Clean Shot as I have a few pounds of that one. Ill see how much I like this setup and may upgrade barrel etc in the coming year. 

thanks again

Squirrel  

On 1/3/2022 at 8:40 PM, Squirrel45 said:

Im sorry no, this is the new PC Carbine I apologize for the confusion. Would you know if there are lighter recoil springs out there ? 

thanks 

Squirrel 

None I l know of.  The only aftermarket spring I was able to find was a TandemKross heavier spring, which is not what you want.   Apparently from a couple of posts above, light loads do function well with the factory spring, which is nice to know.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:05 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

None I l know of.  The only aftermarket spring I was able to find was a TandemKross heavier spring, which is not what you want.   Apparently from a couple of posts above, light loads do function well with the factory spring, which is nice to know.

correct... I have the stock spring and no issues with sub-minor loads.  

2 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Would it be permissible to cut a coil or two out of it, if I needed to? 

I don't see the need.  Unless my new shortened barrel causes problems.  Even though I shoot SC exclusively, I'm not the person that routinely runs his ammo at ridiculously low PF.  I'm more than happy to run at 110-115.  Slightly less recoil is not worth the potential for FTEs, etc.  But with the PC Carbine it is so heavy already you probably won't notice much.  I'd leave the spring alone unless you are loading so low that the brass isn't ejecting.   

16 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

thank you Mr. Beaver, ill stick with the stock and get that one to run as low yet reliably as possible. What do you recommend for a  stock, the archangel or the TK one?

thanks again 

Squirrel 

First a disclaimer: I am a sponsored competitor for TandekmKross. So of course I would recommend the Upriser chassis. There are 2 options of straight vs angled on the stock. For me I love the angled, but it is not for everyone. It gave me a better contact on the body and brings the stock iron sights right to my eyes with no needing to bear down.

And with and optic it was great as well. I have never over to a lighter PCCO but keep the PC Cabine for PCCI since the irons are perfect for me.

52 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

First a disclaimer: I am a sponsored competitor for TandekmKross. So of course I would recommend the Upriser chassis. There are 2 options of straight vs angled on the stock. For me I love the angled, but it is not for everyone. It gave me a better contact on the body and brings the stock iron sights right to my eyes with no needing to bear down.

And with and optic it was great as well. I have never over to a lighter PCCO but keep the PC Cabine for PCCI since the irons are perfect for me.

Thanks again, 

I use a number of their products for my rfro and rfpo so I am bias as well. Is the stock heavy? They do not not list an actual weight on the site. 

Thanks 

Squirrel

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

Thanks again, 

I use a number of their products for my rfro and rfpo so I am bias as well. Is the stock heavy? They do not not list an actual weight on the site. 

Thanks 

Squirrel

Compared to the weight of the receiver and bolt, the stock is nothing. About the same as the stock chassis. Maybe a little lighter

I shoot 82pf out of my Ruger PCC.    100gr Berry's on top of 2.5 of N310 powder.   Stock internals ( spring, bolt, tungsten ).   5" barrel with shroud.   

The gun will go as low as 2.0gr but I get some issues with burst fire as the bolt does not reset the trigger even with trigger upgrades.   

I was able to get to GM in PCCO in 3 months with this combination.  Shoots great despite being a little heavier than best of breed AR15 platforms.   Don't worry about the weight of the stock, the balance is already screwed up due to the heavy bolt and the mounting of the removable barrel.  That should get improved with the new Taccom offering 1Q/2022

image.thumb.png.bdc954c22ab4f8201ad0923bf481759e.png

On 1/9/2022 at 10:29 PM, jrdoran said:

I shoot 82pf out of my Ruger PCC.    100gr Berry's on top of 2.5 of N310 powder.   Stock internals ( spring, bolt, tungsten ).   5" barrel with shroud.   

The gun will go as low as 2.0gr but I get some issues with burst fire as the bolt does not reset the trigger even with trigger upgrades.   

I was able to get to GM in PCCO in 3 months with this combination.  Shoots great despite being a little heavier than best of breed AR15 platforms.   Don't worry about the weight of the stock, the balance is already screwed up due to the heavy bolt and the mounting of the removable barrel.  That should get improved with the new Taccom offering 1Q/2022

image.thumb.png.bdc954c22ab4f8201ad0923bf481759e.png

Hi Jrdoran,

Do you think the Taccom will  be a new bolt or new barrel offering? 

thanks 

Squirrel 

Thanks Tim,

Im sorry, please forgive me I am not very familiar with the parts the Ruger PCC has the AR platform. Just being to think how I am going to go about setting one up for SC and general club matches. 

thanks 

Squirrel