Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NROI podcast

motosapiens

anyone listening?  https://www.buzzsprout.com/1814441/achievements/1098468?fbclid=IwAR31-rSqoQI628SCkAElSAO720HUIbyoYOln6f7oymjZshknyz8GQhJvm_I

this one is on the new popper calibration procedure. I found it interesting, and I appreciate the increased communication coming from NROI. Unsurprisingly, their experiences mirror mine at the one major match where I've used the new procedure.

I have listened to the first NROI podcast. Haven’t listened to any since then. Frankly, I’m not sure how I feel about it. I recognize I need to listen to more of their podcast in order to give it a fair assessment. 

1 hour ago, RAP said:

I have listened to the first NROI podcast. Haven’t listened to any since then. Frankly, I’m not sure how I feel about it. I recognize I need to listen to more of their podcast in order to give it a fair assessment. 

i didn’t listen to the first one yet. to me the podcast seems like an attempt at better public communication, which i welcome. im very supportive of the direction troy and jodi are leading us, but i also talk to many of the RMIs at local and major matches. i think better communication and transparency can only be good.

And if you have ideas for discussion topics, please post them here or email them to rules@uspsa.org.

We are planning on doing 2 episodes a month starting in January and would love to get topic ideas.  We can use ideas for the blog, magazine, or the podcast.  So if isn't something we can do a whole podcast episode on, we will address it in one of the other formats.

And our podcast skills should get better once we get all the technical kinks worked out:-)

• 2 months later...

I'm giving this topic a bump. Been listening at work, and really enjoying this podcast. I haven't been shooting a lot lately, but between the podcast and the questions of the month NROI is keeping me interested in the rules and making me a better RO for this summer. Their March Question of the month apparently rickrolled me, and the latest podcast explained why me and the other 80% probably got it wrong. The pod cast on the new popper calibration was also informative as to why they did what they did, and where and why they might simplify the procedure in the future. Anyhow, good job NROI for keeping my head in the game, as it were, and making me a better RO.

14 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

I'm giving this topic a bump. Been listening at work, and really enjoying this podcast. I haven't been shooting a lot lately, but between the podcast and the questions of the month NROI is keeping me interested in the rules and making me a better RO for this summer. Their March Question of the month apparently rickrolled me, and the latest podcast explained why me and the other 80% probably got it wrong. The pod cast on the new popper calibration was also informative as to why they did what they did, and where and why they might simplify the procedure in the future. Anyhow, good job NROI for keeping my head in the game, as it were, and making me a better RO.

Didn't the post on March 3rd say that the 82.1% of people who answered "yes" were correct?  Or were you talking about a different question?

https://nroi.org/q-of-month-results/up-in-the-air/

The new March question of the Month, about clearing a jam with finger inside the trigger guard while keeping the gun indexed on a target. NROI taught me something new in their podcast regarding this specific case.

2 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

The new March question of the Month, about clearing a jam with finger inside the trigger guard while keeping the gun indexed on a target. NROI taught me something new in their podcast regarding this specific case.

Scratch my original thought

Edited by RJH

1 hour ago, JWBaldree said:

I'm almost afraid to listen to it now...

I loved the one about popper calibration.    I'd love to see an official NROI popper calibration video.    Getting better training, on the rules, to a wide audience, shout be a goal of this podcast.

I didn't care for the one on making all big matches L2 or above.    That may be an issue, but I don't care about this issue.   In fact, most of us don't.    The target audience is a subset of match directors.     There are better ways to communicate to them.    As an alternative, make this a 5 minute discussion in a podcast focused on other things, with broader interest.

I was also not a fan of the one about how great the NROI courses are.    They are, in fact, pretty good.    I'm a newly minted CRO.    But I go to podcasts for information, not NROI advertising.