Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets powder choice 9Major

Bakerjd

3 hours ago, Corrado_kid said:

I have 2 popple holes in my guns and run blues with no leading. Give them a try. 

I’ve run blues in guns with 2 port popples, and 4 port hybricomp barrels with no leading in the barrel, port and minimal build up in the comp

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 1:38 PM, Fishbreath said:

I haven't yet found a powder that doesn't cause lead fouling with SNS bullets, between the wheelgun and my .40 Open range toy. Bullseye, Clays, Zip, True Blue, CFE Pistol, 3N38... all yield massive amounts of buildup. I thought it might have been too much crimp, but pulled bullets don't show any marking on the coating at all, much less cuts.

I would get lead built up also with SNS. I used a big flare and no crimp. Only took the flare out with a FCD. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot about 600 of them now and haven't seen any mig issues. I did get ahold of some 125gn blue bullets I may try out. But currently I'm playing with my CO gun till at least after Florida Open so probably be a while. It is nice only having to do one load since the girlfriend and I both shoot p320 legions. Although hers is the fancy Max Michel one. 

I just got some 135 grain blues.  5.9 grains of CFE to make 168-170.  I actually like it.  My buddy told me he didn't care for the 135's but I don't mind them at all.  Not sure if I'll switch from 124's as I haven't done any real practice or training with the 135's, but shooting them for chrono purposes I really liked how they shot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 7:04 AM, clw42 said:

I just got some 135 grain blues.  5.9 grains of CFE to make 168-170.  I actually like it.  My buddy told me he didn't care for the 135's but I don't mind them at all.  Not sure if I'll switch from 124's as I haven't done any real practice or training with the 135's, but shooting them for chrono purposes I really liked how they shot.

Which open gun are you using? 

5 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Which open gun are you using? 

Venom Custom Full size and a Venom middy.  Didn't notice any real difference between the guns either as far as recoil impulse.  I haven't shot them side by side yet though.  I'll likely do that tomorrow.

8 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Nice, let me know how it goes~ 

Results weren't shocking.  The Full size hits a bit less than the middy, but that's about it.  It's virtually imperceptible and if I wasn't shooting them side by side I wouldn't be able to tell.  I also loaded a couple of mags with a mix of the 135's and 125's and I really couldn't tell the difference at speed (both making 168-171 PF).  I did some sets of doubles and there wasn't a noticeable lag in recoil impulse at all.  Dot tracked the same, but that's more of a grip thing than a bullet thing so expected.  I guess since there doesn't seem to be an advantage/disadvantage to either it's a toss up.  The 135's run ~.5 grains less powder to make major, but the 125's are a little cheaper.  There's a .0035 cent difference in the cost of bullets when buying in bulk, and you get about 93 bullets more per pound of powder when using the 135's.  So I'd say cost is pretty much a wash for the most part. 

I was hoping there would be a glaring reason to use one over the other, but I guess not.  I'll probably grab another K of 135's and do some more shooting and see where I land before my next bulk purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 10:42 PM, clw42 said:

Results weren't shocking.  The Full size hits a bit less than the middy, but that's about it.  It's virtually imperceptible and if I wasn't shooting them side by side I wouldn't be able to tell.  I also loaded a couple of mags with a mix of the 135's and 125's and I really couldn't tell the difference at speed (both making 168-171 PF).  I did some sets of doubles and there wasn't a noticeable lag in recoil impulse at all.  Dot tracked the same, but that's more of a grip thing than a bullet thing so expected.  I guess since there doesn't seem to be an advantage/disadvantage to either it's a toss up.  The 135's run ~.5 grains less powder to make major, but the 125's are a little cheaper.  There's a .0035 cent difference in the cost of bullets when buying in bulk, and you get about 93 bullets more per pound of powder when using the 135's.  So I'd say cost is pretty much a wash for the most part. 

I was hoping there would be a glaring reason to use one over the other, but I guess not.  I'll probably grab another K of 135's and do some more shooting and see where I land before my next bulk purchase.

I tried 135/147 for minor and the 135gr felt nice like a happy medium between 125/147gr bullets.  Grant it that I didn't try them in my open setup so I can't comment.  I did like the 135 though but again it all boils doing to personal preference.  I have a buddy that states that 115gr tracks the dot better than 125gr on his Honcho open gun, but then again, I can't commnent since my only experience in open has been 125gr..  Dot tracking, recoil impulse, etc deals more with grip than anything else and it's also subjective

27 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I tried 135/147 for minor and the 135gr felt nice like a happy medium between 125/147gr bullets.  Grant it that I didn't try them in my open setup so I can't comment.  I did like the 135 though but again it all boils doing to personal preference.  I have a buddy that states that 115gr tracks the dot better than 125gr on his Honcho open gun, but then again, I can't commnent since my only experience in open has been 125gr..  Dot tracking, recoil impulse, etc deals more with grip than anything else and it's also subjective

I've tried 115's, I'd probably take those over the 135's for open.  It's totally personal preference, and likely bias towards what you're used to using.  I just found the 135's to be a little slow and they induced a reflexive push which was probably caused by me being used to the recoil of the 125's.  I would get impatient and try to push the gun back to zero which we all know never turns out good.  I didn't hate them or anything, I just don't feel like wasting time, primers and training on getting used to a new(ish) recoil impulse.  If times were different, who knows, but there's definitely not a cost benefit to using them so it's back to 125's.  I thought it was a worthy experiment.

50 minutes ago, clw42 said:

I've tried 115's, I'd probably take those over the 135's for open.  It's totally personal preference, and likely bias towards what you're used to using.  I just found the 135's to be a little slow and they induced a reflexive push which was probably caused by me being used to the recoil of the 125's.  I would get impatient and try to push the gun back to zero which we all know never turns out good.  I didn't hate them or anything, I just don't feel like wasting time, primers and training on getting used to a new(ish) recoil impulse.  If times were different, who knows, but there's definitely not a cost benefit to using them so it's back to 125's.  I thought it was a worthy experiment.

For open I would only use 125gr, but for minor I was simply trying to experiment.  I don't have experience with 115 in an open setup, only with 125 and I'm sort of used to that grain weight to be honest.  At one time I tried 147gr from Everglades but they didn't even make PF once I chrono the ammo... Luckily, I was given 1k rounds free from a friend that didn't like them.  I didn't feel any significant differences between the 125/147 besides a bit of slower cycle of the slide. IMO 125gr is a nice compromise for open but for minor many use 135/147, etc etc...  Mainly 147

7 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

For open I would only use 125gr, but for minor I was simply trying to experiment.  I don't have experience with 115 in an open setup, only with 125 and I'm sort of used to that grain weight to be honest.  At one time I tried 147gr from Everglades but they didn't even make PF once I chrono the ammo... Luckily, I was given 1k rounds free from a friend that didn't like them.  I didn't feel any significant differences between the 125/147 besides a bit of slower cycle of the slide. IMO 125gr is a nice compromise for open but for minor many use 135/147, etc etc...  Mainly 147

Yup, I think I'd draw the same conclusion.  I'll just stick with 124/125. 

I may try the rest of the 135's in minor, that's a good idea.  See how they perform there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 7:08 PM, Corrado_kid said:

I run blues .356 with AA7 and Autocomp. Haven’t had any issues with any fouling or problems. I load at

AA7 - 9.4gn of AA7 1.65 oal

Autocomp - 6.8gns 1.165oal 

5” middy with 2 popples 

What weight blues are you running?  125gr?

On 12/13/2021 at 4:37 AM, Bakerjd said:

To preface this I found a thread about coated bullets in 9 major not long ago and now can't find it. 

I  going to use SNS coated 125gn RN bullets for 9 major, already talked to them and the bullets will be fine at the speed needed for it. 

I have also talked with a couple people I know who run coated bullets for 9 major but all of them use Silhouette which I want to try but can't get any currently and have other stuff on hand. 

I have these powders to choose from that I have on hand and have enough of to load a fair ammount of ammo. 

HS-6

AA 7

Autocomp

Win 572

Of these choices which would be best for coated bullets for 9 major? 

I really don't want to start another argument about coated vs JHP ect... 

PowerValley: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/ramshot-silhouette/
MidwayUSA: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2182322124?pid=322124

Seem to have plenty of Silhouette...and AA#7, for that matter.  :)

Best,
David