Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred Brass 9mm for CZ 75 SP-01

the-cowboy

13 hours ago, lll Otto lll said:

Off the top of my head, here's a partial list of the crap brass I throw in the dumpster....Plus anything that's steel, aluminum, stepped or bulged. 
Maxxtech
MXT
FM
Aguila
Ammoland
ZQI
WMA
Xtream
A USA
Troy
GFL
NORMA
DoubleTap
Shell Shock
TECH
OMPC
Perfecta

there are only 4 on that list that I will not load.

20 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

The pistol/ammo accuracy demanded by this sport is not that great.

Some people go overboard wasting time and money chasing it to excess.  Time and money better spent on skills that actually move you forward.

In Brian Enos book he states that he could shoot 50 yard groups at about 1.5 inches and anything greater than 3 inch 50 yard groups was unacceptable to him. Lots of other commentary in his book about the importance of practicing group shooting. 
Benos is not a mere mortal, his accomplishments exceed most.  It would be interesting to learn from other top pros regarding what they will tolerate in group size from the bench. 
To me a reasonable time spent on load development is low hanging fruit. Unlike skills development, once you get the gun and load right it does not tend to rapidly fade away with a reduction in practice time. 

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

In Brian Enos book he states that he could shoot 50 yard groups at about 1.5 inches and anything greater than 3 inch 50 yard groups was unacceptable to him. Lots of other commentary in his book about the importance of practicing group shooting. 
Benos is not a mere mortal, his accomplishments exceed most.  It would be interesting to learn from other top pros regarding what they will tolerate in group size from the bench. 
To me a reasonable time spent on load development is low hanging fruit. Unlike skills development, once you get the gun and load right it does not tend to rapidly fade away with a reduction in practice time. 

Everyone has a different calculus about how important each aspect of the game is.

I gave mine for consideration, not for adoption.

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I'm not sure why you didn't like the sarge's post. If one wants to be a GM and run field courses well, 1.5" 50 yard groups really aren't the issue. The skills to draw, reload, plan, visualize, splits, transitions and execute all the above is crucial. However, normally one who can do all those also can shoot very accurate groups. 

My opinion is learn how to reload ammo that runs in your gun and is reasonably accurate and then go and practice the rest. And Enos could do the rest because he practiced them.

37 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

I'm not sure why you didn't like the sarge's post.

37 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

To me a reasonable time spent on load development is low hanging fruit.

The second quote started with me, looks confusing the way I quoted it.

Anyway, different strokes I suppose, there is no way it would make sense to me to put much time or effort into this sport and not get the gun and load right as the first priority. If it was hard to do a bit of load development (I think it is fun) and/or if load development was quickly perishable like the practiced skills I would likely agree with you. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Anyway, different strokes I suppose, there is no way it would make sense to me to put much time or effort into this sport and not get the gun and load right as the first priority. If it was hard to do a bit of load development (I think it is fun) and/or if load development was quickly perishable like the practiced skills I would likely agree with you. 

As a counterpoint, I've read a grand total of zero about load development in the couple of books I have from Ben Stoeger.  To paraphrase what I did read: make it good enough then stop screwing with it.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

m ost of the brass I  collect from the ranges is winchester  or speer it seems  and they are great  to work with

the only  one I toss is brass with a head stamp of 4-5  letters  including Y, M...  they hate american primers and tend to split when resizing

good luck with your  reloading

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

As a counterpoint, I've read a grand total of zero about load development in the couple of books I have from Ben Stoeger.  To paraphrase what I did read: make it good enough then stop screwing with it.

If I have implied anything different than the above that was not my intent. I suspect that "good enough" for Stoeger is "outstanding" for mere mortals.

At a level 2 we had a speed shoot that consisted of paper targets on either end with only the upper portion of the heads exposed, two steel pepper popper activators in the center and no shoots which dropped out of the way momentarily in front of the two paper targets, I think distance was about 15 yards but that is from memory. The idea was that the fast guys would shoot steel steel paper paper and the B class hackers like me would shoot steel paper steel paper. When Bob Vogel shot the stage he shot AA Steel Steel AA and was holstering as the activators were still falling down. That is just one example and maybe not a great one, but it has always been my impression that folks like Stoeger and Vogel make sure that their equipment is good enough to be confident when shooting little things at long distances.

I put in a fair amount of effort to get a load that was accurate, soft shooting, and easily made power factor.  I figure if I can be off by 2" and the accuracy of the load can be off by 2", that's a total of 4" that I could be off by.  I think it's worthwhile to try to get the load as accurate as reasonably possible and leave the missing to me.  That said, when I tested mixed headstamp vs. single headstamp for accuracy with the same load, I couldn't tell the difference.  I'm sure that's partly due to my inaccuracy.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:09 AM, AHI said:

lots of people confuse perfecta ( good) and projecta (junck).

"Perfecta" (made by Fiocchi) was a house brand of sorts from Walmart.  WM stopped selling handgun ammo in '19 but I believe Cheaper than Dirt carried it as well.  
I've never heard or seen "Projecta".....is that the correct spelling?   

yes correct spelling. It is junck.

There are a few others change one letter. Make it look like some thing else.

Haven't seen any in a while.

Edited by AHI