Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Infinity IMM 9MM Major

Robertwil18

5 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

So, after calling and discussing a few things with Brandon and the folks at SVI, I placed my order today....

in 38SC

The 8 month wait will give me time to gather components and hopefully by the time it's ready I'll have enough for the year ahead.  Now i need to look into the best dies and set up for my RL1100 to load massive amounts of 38SC.  

i use redding competition dies, and a lee U die for sizing. thats the best combo ive come up with after shooting 38 sc for the past two years

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 11:44 PM, Robertwil18 said:

Has anyone ordered an Infinity IMM in 9 Major?  If so, any feedback on how it runs, and whether or not you regret not getting it in 38SC?  Considering a build now, and working out whether I want to move away from 9 Major as i have a large stock of components, and can resupply much easier than 38SC right now it seems.  

I know you made your choice but I just read this thread and wanted to chime in. I have an SV IMM in 9mm and it has the new tech and is wonderful. Flawless so far and such a joy to shoot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, Gene_WI said:

I have an IMM 9 major on order. Should be getting in in January.

9 mm brass is free.

At $0.18 each, 50k worth of .38 SC brass will get you a new gun.

I just did that match. It's 9k dollars of brass. Screw that. Could buy a new 9mm gun every season from SV. 

For my open gun I went with 9mm for simplicity. I hate changing tool heads, rl100. I hate picking up brass. I'm going to shoot maybe 10k rounds a year with it. With good mags, MBX, a well built and tuned gun I really don't see it being an issue. I know many who have 9 major guns at or above the 50k round mark. 

for my Infinity in 9major I've been running 3n38 at ~8.7gr, federal small pistol primers and Zero 125gr JHPs and have been very happy with the results. Shoots very flat, with minimal dot lift. 8lb recoil spring. I haven't shot an Infinity in 38SC to really compare the performance, but when the brass is 1/10th of the cost of 38sc, I think it's worth it.

Edited by sc68cal

I shoot 9mm major now.  I agonized for two years over 38SC and 9mm.  I buy fully processed, swaged, roll size, same head stamp brass for 5 cents each and leave it on the ground.  I have zero problems with either of my Open 2011s.

I'll admit, 38SC is better because of the straight walled case and greater capacity.  Case price is what decided me against it.  I'd shoot 40 Open again before I'd shoot 38SC.  40 Open is better than both 9mm and 38SC.  It costs 1/2 cent more than 9mm major, and a lot less than 38SC.  It shoots flatter and softer than either, with a lot fewer poppels than 38SC.  The only drawback, if you see it that way, is three fewer rounds in a mag.  That was never a disadvantage to me.  If anyone ever makes a one piece barrel/comp in 40, I'd switch back.

14 hours ago, zzt said:

I shoot 9mm major now.  I agonized for two years over 38SC and 9mm.  I buy fully processed, swaged, roll size, same head stamp brass for 5 cents each and leave it on the ground.  I have zero problems with either of my Open 2011s.

I'll admit, 38SC is better because of the straight walled case and greater capacity.  Case price is what decided me against it.  I'd shoot 40 Open again before I'd shoot 38SC.  40 Open is better than both 9mm and 38SC.  It costs 1/2 cent more than 9mm major, and a lot less than 38SC.  It shoots flatter and softer than either, with a lot fewer poppels than 38SC.  The only drawback, if you see it that way, is three fewer rounds in a mag.  That was never a disadvantage to me.  If anyone ever makes a one piece barrel/comp in 40, I'd switch back.

You are definitely not the first I heard to say that about 40 open.  Honestly capacity in my opinion is a non-issue as well.  I do wonder how much of a beating a 170mm 2011 .40 mag would take before tuning was required.  

2 hours ago, war_material said:

I do wonder how much of a beating a 170mm 2011 .40 mag would take before tuning was required.  

My MBXs ran for two complete seasons of weekly matches with zero issues.  I sold almost all the STI mags I got when I bought a used backup gun.  I kept two for use in Classifiers when I had to drop a mag in dust or mud.  I kept the SVI Gen1 big sticks and used TTI guts and base pads.  I bought the MBX mags (140s and a 170) previously and continued to use them.  The only time I had to tune the feed lips was on a 140.  On a reload I dropped an almost full mag.  It must have hit base first and the weight of the ammo depressed the spring.  When it returned one round was sticking up through the feed lips.  I was going to disassemble the mag to fix, but a buddy grabbed it.  He said here, and pulled the round out through the feed lips.  That expanded the lips and the mag would not feed properly.  I fixed it at home and had no further problems.  I'll also note the SVI Gen1 mags had no problems either.  The STI Gen1 mags were a different story.

On 12/22/2021 at 3:22 PM, sc68cal said:

for my Infinity in 9major I've been running 3n38 at ~8.7gr, federal small pistol primers and Zero 125gr JHPs and have been very happy with the results. Shoots very flat, with minimal dot lift. 8lb recoil spring. I haven't shot an Infinity in 38SC to really compare the performance, but when the brass is 1/10th of the cost of 38sc, I think it's worth it.

I shot 38SC for the longest time but after this hiatus (young kids and new born phase) I’m looking to get back to shooting open in 9major and your load will probably be my start. 

question though. 3N38 is hard to come by and I’ll get lucky with 3N37 or AA6. Do you know how much powder to put in for those?

Edited by Kwontanamo

51 minutes ago, Kwontanamo said:

I shot 38SC for the longest time but after this hiatus (young kids and new born phase) I’m looking to get back to shooting open in 9major and your load will probably be my start. 

question though. 3N38 is hard to come by and I’ll get lucky with 3N37 or AA6. Do you know how much powder to put in for those?

What gun/barrel? I would start with 7.6g 3N37 for a JHP 124g at around 1.175. 

2 hours ago, Kwontanamo said:

I'd recommend slower powders.  AA7 or SWMP is what I use.  Both are easily compressible if needed.  10.2gr SWMP under a 115 HAP is what I use.  1470fps.  It is not a compressed load at 1.161" OAL.  I've gone as high as 10.6 and it still did not completely work the comp.  Comp also has two 3/16" poppels in a V2.  Faster powders will hit your hand harder and the dot will rise more.

BTW, 3N38 does not compress well.  I cannot fit enough in a roll sized 9mm case to make major with a 115.  I'm using mine up for Open minor steel loads.

Edited by zzt

17 hours ago, Posvar said:

What gun/barrel? I would start with 7.6g 3N37 for a JHP 124g at around 1.175. 

Heck truth be told who knows. It could be a Ft ski stone build for all I know. My last gun was an SVI as well. Right now I’m leaning towards the Bul Armory SAS UR