Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Typhoon F12 shooters out there? Thoughts?

fyaman43

Considering getting an F12 for open class/2x4 multigun matches.

Seems as though they’re run quite a bit in Europe and outside the US.  Any Typhoon F12 shooters here?  Any feedback on them as a platform?  

Also debating the short vs longer handguard and would probably upgrade to the drop in comp trigger and add a muzzle brake.  

I’ve read they’re break-in dependent but any feedback is greatly appreciated!  

On 10/3/2021 at 5:49 PM, fyaman43 said:

Considering getting an F12 for open class/2x4 multigun matches.

Seems as though they’re run quite a bit in Europe and outside the US.  Any Typhoon F12 shooters here?  Any feedback on them as a platform?  

Also debating the short vs longer handguard and would probably upgrade to the drop in comp trigger and add a muzzle brake.  

I’ve read they’re break-in dependent but any feedback is greatly appreciated!  

have you looked at the RIA VR80?

I think that gets better reviews and has wider 3rd party support.

13 hours ago, SuperTed said:

have you looked at the RIA VR80?

I think that gets better reviews and has wider 3rd party support.

This.

My 19 YO granddaughter runs a fairly tricked out VR80 with Taccom buffer, comp, & T&N trigger, with the gas ports drilled out. Runs Win 1145 AA all day long. Super reliable, very soft and fast. Very accurate with slugs. 

gerritm

vr80.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys.  

I've definitely considered the VR80 but have seen F12s available here to me locally at good prices and I've read about some of the mods (gas port widening, etc) the VR80 needs, and the F12 doesn't other than 100 rounds of HV ammo for a break in.  I'm just considering the F12 out of curiosity, and while I haven't fired one, they handle nicely and feel very solid in hand at the store.  Plus I think the gas system is slightly different, no buffer spring in the stock - maybe less finicky? 

It also seems the support has increased even very recently, with US based support and a website, and they offer a lifetime guarantee.  I'm pretty sure they're made in the same Turkish factory as the VR80s oddly enough. 

Just trying to consider some alternatives to Dissident which I know is the major player but $$$... 

Thanks again!

We have right around $1K total in her gun. We shoot with the Dissident guys and many other shooters with Dissident SG's and her VR80 is every bit as reliable and softer shooting. Dissidents are great, but past my pay grade.  I run RIA 19 round mags with some minor fixes and it will also run my T&N MKA 1919 mags including the T&N 24 rounder. 

My buddy with the F12 has an FFL and also owns a Dissident SG. He has been running the F12 lately in 3-gun & falling steel matches with no problems. He likes to thoroughly test these guns before recommending them. I don't think other than breaking it in he has done anything to it. Has made the same mods to the RIA mags that I recommended. Not sure on the longevity of the SG. He probably has a couple of thousand rounds on it. Does run good Win AA 1250 & Fiocchi ammo.

Have a couple of other shooters who run them and it will not run a whole match without several malfunctions. Not sure on them could be user error. Pretty sure they haven't done anything to the mags and I have noticed he runs whatever ammo he can find. We have 3 or 4 guys with them and have mixed reviews.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm
Add info

Good buddy of mine had a Typhoon and VR80 at the same time. He sold the VR80 real quick like, and when I shot them side by side it was easy to understand why. The F12 shot was softer, trigger was better, fit and finish looked way better. IIRC it ran decent out of the box, and with some tuning it's now easily the most reliable open shotgun I've ever seen in action.

Thanks for these comments guys.

I will say that the fit and finish of the F12s I've handled is top notch.  Upper and lower receivers are tight, no wobble anywhere, and the cerakote jobs look great.  

So, the curiosity (and Scheels' 30 day return policy) got the best of me and I got one.  Long handguard model in grey.

Took it apart, wiped off all the factory oil, reapplied some Ballistol on most everything and some Lucas Extreme Duty oil on everything that moves/cycles, especially the carrier, etc. and put it back together using a youtube vid as a guide.  Overall impression of the internals was that it appears well made.

Shot 100 rounds of Fiocchi Exacta 1375 FPS 6 shot 1 1/8 oz steel at the range out of the 3 factory 5 round mags it came with.  Had 2-3 FTEs in the first 15 rounds, then one in the next 15, then it ran that ammo flawlessly for the rest of the time.  As fast as I could pull the trigger.  I did try some 3" HV lead hunting shells 1 3/4 oz 1330 FPS and it didn't like those as much but it seemed to be a factor of the shell length/nose hardness and feeding ramp.  

So, so far so good with 2.75" shells.  I picked up two 20 rounds mags so that'll be the next part of the experiment.  

The gun shoots nicely/fairly soft, the stock trigger pull is a *bit* heavy (they offer an improved 3.5# drop in comp trigger) but breaks nicely, and has an acceptable reset.  Only issue was the cylinder choke I was using kept backing out so had to retighten in between strings occasionally.  

All in all, impressed so far as I was a bit skeptical going into it.  Next step is running the 20 round mags and possibly adding their sport muzzle brake.

On 10/5/2021 at 7:48 AM, gerritm said:

This.

My 19 YO granddaughter runs a fairly tricked out VR80 with Taccom buffer, comp, & T&N trigger, with the gas ports drilled out. Runs Win 1145 AA all day long. Super reliable, very soft and fast. Very accurate with slugs. 

gerritm

vr80.jpg

Yep!  That's the one!

3 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Why did you pick the VR80 over the Typhoon?  What didn't you like about it?

The Typhoon rattled like it was thrown together, there were 4 at Collector Firearms all were loose, hand guard loose. They were priced over $1,000, and i got my VR80 for $649, plus I can get parts fpr the VR80. The Hayes brothers only a few miles from me have the VR80 really figured out.

23 hours ago, The Donald said:

The Typhoon rattled like it was thrown together, there were 4 at Collector Firearms all were loose, hand guard loose. They were priced over $1,000, and i got my VR80 for $649, plus I can get parts fpr the VR80. The Hayes brothers only a few miles from me have the VR80 really figured out.

Thanks for confirming for me that I made the right choice!  👍

The Hayes Brothers?  Is that the Tooth and Nail Armory?

I have a F12, its a nice easy to maintain shooter, but mine has been less than reliable with what little ammo that is available after 500 rounds.

1 issue is my barrel was sheering off the edge of the shell, Typhoon sent me a video of taking a file to take off the sharp edge off, that 100 % fixed that issue 

2 with Win AA 1350fps shells it is almost perfect, with any other brand, especially those 1200fps or less its a single shot, I did trim off the recoil spring 2 full coils, that helped but its still not perfect

3 it recoils significant harder than my Benelli/HK M1 and Benelli M2, I just changed the butt stock to a Magpul MOE, and a Limbsaver recoil pad is in bound

4 keeping it clean, especially the gas ports is required

5 I simply don't trust it enough to use it in a match yet, my Infinity pistol took 3000 rounds for me to trust it, after 500 shells of varying brands its getting there

things I like are the style, the Holosun 510 on top of it, RIA mags are GTG, and cheaper than Typhoon brand mags

Did another 100+ round break in session today, and tried new 10 and 20 (19 actually) round Typhoon factory mags.

Gun ran all the ammo I tried, from the 1375 fps Fiocchi steel to 1250 fps Estate target shells (which made me very happy as they're cheap and I have quite a bit of them).  It did choke on 2 Winchester 1350 fps high brass shells (out of the new 20 rd mag), but ran the rest.  Think it may have been a mag issue though as my buddy shot the same ammo out of the 10 rd mag without a hiccup.  Also tried a handful of 1400 fps 1 1/8 oz Rio slugs to get a rough zero on my dot.  Those ran great, though I can't speak of how they grouped as I was making dot adjustments.  

By the end of the session, mags ran perfectly, gun was running great.  

I realize that 200+ rounds through a semi-auto shotgun isn't indicative of it's long term performance, but there isn't much (I was able to find anyway) out there on these F12s and just wanted to share my experience if anyone cares... Ha!  So far been happy with the way it shoots and is breaking in nicely.

Edited by fyaman43