Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Gold Mods etc...

winston

Hey guys,

Have you seen the new fronsight issue? I'm thinking about getting a Browning gold or Winchester super x2 "practical.

After reviewing all the differences, it seems like the browning is better, because it comes with the "speed-feed" function and you can buy extended mag tubes from http://www.briley.com for $65.

It seems like the model to get would be the Browning Gold Rifled Deer Stalker. It seems like the brother rifle to the Winchester x2 Practical (except without the extended mag).

I did alot of calling around and only found one place that carried them. I COULDN'T find a place that carries the Winchester x2 Practical at all. Anyone know of a place?

Well just wondering what your guys thoughts were on the article and the browning/winchester platform.

Winston

(Edited by winston at 5:16 pm on Nov. 8, 2001)

I read the article. Seems to be a big hype job if you ask me. .13 splits with a shotgun as compared to .12. The top guys are running .15-.20 with a pistol. I don't see the need for anything faster than the slow .13 of my remington or benelli. They have more accessories available than the Winchester or Browning. You're limited to 8 rounds. I have yet to shoot a 3 gun where you need that kind of split. Most are one or at most 2 shots on a target. I think the author did a good job of testing the mechanical limits not the practical limits of the gun. It seems like he was just cranking off rounds. Let's see those splits with 2 A's at say 15 yds? Makes a big difference when you have to recover from recoil and get back on target. If you really want one a guy has been all over the USPSA member adds with them. I think he's in TN.

Chris,

Thanks for the info. Yeah i've been really going back an forth between the Browning Gold and the 1187. I feel that the 1187 is more proven, more people have them, more smiths work on them (like vang comp) and it's easier to have sights etc installed.

But at the same time i found the Browning gold stalker in 28in 3.5in chamber for $689, and the browning has the speed feed option which i like.

Is there any disadvantage from getting a 3.5 in chamber?

thanks

Winston

I'm not sure on reliabilty. The only 3.5 i have is a 835 pump. Kick like a mule but does one hell of a job on turkey and coyote. The price will be higher than a 3" chamber. I use an 1100. 320 at Wally world. 28" syn. with choke tubes. They have 1187's for mid 5's.

A friend of mine wants the Winchester Practical model and was told it won't be available until next spring.  I don't know if that is distributer availability, factory availability, or just totally incorrect.  He is getting a Browning Gold next week and putting a Briley extended tube on it.  

I've been interested in the SX2 Practical too.  I had my dealer/gunsmith check into them for me.  DB & Ranger, you're both right.

Apparently there are 2 models.  The actual SX2 "Practical" has been announced, but is not expected to be available until 2Q2002.  There is a similar model out now that is being billed by some of the dealers as the Practical model.  According to Winchester it is NOT the "SX2 Practical".  They ran off a special run of guns for the last SHOT show to show off until the real SX2 Practical came out.

My dealer had a hard time getting Winchester pinned down on specific differences between the 2 models.  The real Practical carries a expected retail of $1065 while the currently available model is $899 retail (available for $775).  So obviously, they are doing some extra things with the new model.

Winchester said the new model will have better competition sights but wouldn't elaborate on differences other than to say they won't have a Tru-Glo front sight.  They also said there will also be different sling swivels.  The stock may be modified a little for competition.  Basically, they say the new one coming out in 2002 will be a "nicer, classier, more competition oriented model".  But, they wouldn't elaborate on any specifics like whether it would have long forcing cones and etc.  They said this was mainly because they haven't worked out all the details yet.

So, I'm now trying to decide whether I go with the current model or wait until the new one comes out.  The current leather jacket/hat promotional helps makes the current one attractive.  But, depending on what they do with the "real" Practical, it may be much better to wait until the actual competition model comes out.

I've got a box stock Benelli with 7 round tube.  I may just keep using that until I can get one of the SX2 Practical's this spring/summer.

Anyway, hope the info helps.

I've decided to go with the browning gold stalker rather than wait for the winchester x2 practical. I think the speed feed option is a good advantage on reloading on the run etc.

My only concern is that i ordered the 3.5in chamber, since there was a good deal at cdnn. However on the website it says that the 3" ones work with a wide range of shells down to 1oz. and the 3.5 inch work down to 1 1/8oz shells.

My only concern is that the 3.5in won't cycle reduced recoil loads that most people in 3gun seem to use (1oz). Does that mean you can't use 1oz bird shot (small brass size) shells with the 3.5in chambers for hunting or what not? anyone have any experience on this? thanks

I have no idea if it fits (anybody know? please?), but the 3" Sporting Clays model comes with two gas pistons-- one for light loads and one for heavy. Brownells carries the clays piston as a separate part, so if it fits onto the 3.5" model, you should be able to make it run with light loads.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity of shooting the Winchester x2 Practical this past week at an IDPA shoot.  I have to say that I was very impressed.  It shot very light loads and heavy loads effectively.  No problems at all.  Since it is gas operated, the recoil is negligable.  Gone is the Benelli kick!  The price of a new  Practical in Tucson was close to $900.  

(Edited by impact10 at 9:37 am on Nov. 24, 2001)

I believe I got a sales flyer from CDNN Investments that lists the SX2 Practical for about $800.

Not that it really matters, but I have shot the 1100, 11-87 and I own a Benelli M-1 Super 90.  Checking my Benelli again this weekend, 5 shots in 1.14s (buzzer to last shot, .38s r/t) IS fast engough for ME.

• 1 month later...

900.00?

I think I'll stick to a used 1100 for around $200.00 and just eat the .02 sec to .03 sec I'll lose on the splits. Hmmm, lets see. $900.00( new super X2) - 500.00 (my built 1100) = $400.00. Divide this by .02 = $12000.00/min saved!  I may be wrong but you can't make that much money in three gun so it must be a huge desire to win! Whatdaya bet that BE could kick all of our asses with a pump let alone a auto?

Cheers,

Chris

If you have a Beneli or 1100/1187 - shoot it, its fine. Shopping for a new gun? CDNN's deal is a steal on the browning gold w/ the speed feed option.

I needed a semi so I got one of the prototype run Super X2s off the USPSA classifieds; unprotected tru-glow fiberoptic front sight - the rear is exactly like a stock Ruger 10/22 folding leaf & its mounted ahead of the cantalever scope rail.

The frontsite gun had proto-type sights that you can't get until the new gun comes out - I hope they offer an upgrade.

Dirt simple and so far its reliable with everything from 3' mag lead goose loads to slugs to light 1 1/8 oz trap loads; seems overpriced for such a simple action - get the browning.  D.

• 5 months later...

Man, Winchester really dropped the ball on this gun.  I saw a Super X2 at the Winchester display at the SHOT show several years ago.  I'm not sure if it was the exact configuration of the new gun - it had a post front sight, a ghost ring rear sight and a optics mounting rail.

I asked the Winchester rep when it would be available in the U.S. and he said it wouldn't be!  This gun was for the European market because they didn't think it would sell in the U.S!

I just purchased a Browning AutoGold Turkey Stalker. 24" Barrel, Great fiber optic sights, A choke system that is second to none, The speed feed is so cool and fast. You know longer have to know whether the gun is in slide lock or not.. just start jamming shells in the magazine and presto you are ready to shoot. The other cool thing is the shell catch on the magazine. If you own a Rem (and I do) You know how you have to push the shell all the way in the magazine so that it catches the little stop. On the Browning the shell catch is in a different place and you only need to get the shell up close to the magazine. The shells normally stick out of magazine about 3/8" so you don't have push them in all the way and hurt your fingers or get your fingers caught on the shell plate. It is also the softest shooting gun EVER! Goose loads feel like trap. They also swing like a great bird gun should. I paid $637.00 with a $100.00 rebate from Browning so I Only paid $537.00 Then I added a magazine extension from Briely for $69.00