Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miculek Magnetic Buffer system??? Others Pros and Cons

Concept looks good. The multitude of a easy adjustability to tune to a load seems very interesting in itself. Been reading some reviews online about it. Many people bring up the concept of the magnets eventually wearing out. Springs and hydraulics wear out also. Jerry Miculek is somewhat of a showman but he obviously knows what's what and doubt he would ticket something that doesn't have merit. I would definitely pick one up, try it, and provide feedback fwiw. Is there a source other than this "Big Daddy" which seems to require some kind of subscription fee to purchase one?

The idea of using magnets is pretty clever.

They give a truly progressive "spring rate", as the repelling force is proportinal to the inverse square of the distance between the magnets.

(Up to a a limit, since it doesn't go to infinite at zero distance 😊)

But if you can really tell a difference from a hydraulic buffer or a buffer with multiple springs, is another question.

The most important part is probably that that you can tune the system and or ammo so it doesn't bottom out.

I'm currently using two repelling magnets (25mm diam, 12mm long) at the end of my buffer tube together with a Kynshot hydraulic buffer and an A5 tube

It had a good effect on my dot bounce/grouping.

So using magnets definetely works.

But since my magnets sits in series with the buffer spring, it slightly lessens the pressure on the bolt when closed.

And thats not optimal...

But with the Miculek-buffer that wouldn't be a problem, since it is only effecting the "spring rate" when it starts to bottom out.

But I'm unsure how much repelling force it can have with such small magnets on the other hand.

Even my big magnets bottoms out with factory ammo...

(The is a thin rubber piece glued to one of them so the don't hit each other, since that can crack them)

I'm working on lowering the power factor with port holes at the moment though...

(I hate hand loading 😳)

It would be cool if someone could do a comparison between the Miculek, Kynshot and Taccom buffers...

There once was a video by Mr. Miculek where he was testing different buffers. One of them was a magnetic buffer made by a company and it was known then as a MARRS buffer. The video is gone as far as I can find. He liked the magnetic buffet in the video. 

I have tried many different buffers and setups and I am presently using a roller-locked buffer system. The setup and load one uses in combination is what I think matters most. Trubl said it probably the best. Pick a load and buffer set up and run it. 

20200919_155001.thumb.jpg.ff5027d691cc62b1eea2f900b0cbb614.jpg

I've tried the MARRS buffer and the Kynshot buffer.  Once the buzzer went off I really couldn't tell much difference.  I found once I just picked a buffer/spring combination and load and spent my time practicing my scores got better.

Edited by AKJD

I have 3 Taccom buffer systems in all of our PCC's with thousands of rounds. With the ammo shortage we have shot my reloads with varying bullet weights and factory ammo. Recoil changes slightly, but always back in the shoulder. dot movement does not change.

gerritm

• 11 months later...

Hello Everyone

You all can call me the new guy in the neightborhood and my knowledge of any buffers are very limited and I have become cross eye looking for the right combination to make the FRT work as it should but after making this investment well I just have not gotten it to work ! So last week I ordered two different sets of buffers but, this time I ordered a kit that included the spring buffer and tube and I hope that one of them H3 , H2 and the T3 that I had at the start heck I do hope that one of the purcahses will work out. And with Miculek Magnetic Buffer my fingers are just one key from ordering one but after seeing you guys and what you have written I decided to put my fingers on the key board to ask your opinons as to what combinations have proven themselves and would be the best investment especially for those of us who are living on a strick budget, I have 9 mm, 556, and 308, I do shot are I use to but do to my Old combat wounds that have almost crippled me and our country seems to be a match lite away from burning to the ground I had to dust off my babies and even pushed my wife of 49 years to put a pistol in her hands and I tell you guys my little Honey Dew hates holding it, I had to tell her I'm praying that that day never comes when she may have to use it but only has to if some nut case brakes in our home, we all know that those kinds of people are not coming to say hello!

Hey let me turn my motor mouth off I tend to go up to 80 in a 20 mph zone so Gentlemen I will look and hope to hear back from you now go get some lunch or something.

Ernie