Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Further Recoil Spring Determination.........

HOGRIDER

After following the previous post concerning which recoil spring for an S2 w/SRO, I wanted to see how the experienced competitors actually determined their optimal recoil spring weight.

As a "renewed"  USPSA Production competitor shooting my first CZ, a S2 Orange, I have been using a 10# CGW recoil spring with a 11.5# hammer spring.  Have an exceptionally accurate reload using Zero 147g JHP, N320; and averaging 132-133 PF.

In the previous post, it seemed most were using an 11# recoil spring!

Wanting to optimize my sight recovery with the correct recoil spring, I'm wondering how those seasoned shooters determined their perfect spring weight?  I realize grip/PF/etc can affect the ending spring weight; but is a video recording of the actual recoil of the pistol during, say a Bill Drill, the easiest way?  Or would it be primarily determined by time/splits?

Thanks for your feedback!

:)

You can videotape yourself while shooting so you can see how much is the muzzle dipping or lack thereof. Using a timer will add objectivity when doing your tests and experiment. 

I mainly go for the speed of the dot coming back coupled with the least or lack of muzzle dip. I’m also using 11# recoil spring and 11.5# main spring with 130-132 PF loads using 124 Gr PD JHP and 4.0 of sport pistol.

There will always be a muzzle flip but the more you can minimize it, the better it will be.

Edited by George16

don't overthink it. I talked with angus years ago about this question, and he said a 10lb would work, but he had to replace them more often because eventually they would stop feeding 100%, so he preferred an 11 lb. So that's what I use, and I've never had an issue.

I've done quite a bit of experimentation with 1911/2011 before I figured it out, trying to find the 'perfect' spring. Eventually I discovered that with 5 mins of practice, my grip would adjust to compensate for any reasonable variance in springs, so all I needed was one that was reliable. IMHO, you will get further faster by learning how your own input to the gun through grip affects the consistency and movement of the gun than you will by trying to find the perfect mechanical combination that works without having to understand your input to the gun.

Admittedly, I come from a SS/limited background, but my impression of the shadow2 after 6 months of shooting it is that if you perceive any significant muzzle flip, you are probably doing it wrong. Hold on to your gun like a grown man.

Edited by motosapiens

21 minutes ago, hlsccsfa said:

might be off topic, but do you find the 11.5# main spring reliable in popping the primers? most of the S2 users I know of uses 13lbs main spring, since they don't always have federal primers...

No problems lighting off all the primers I have used such as CCI, Winchester and Remington. I was even using small rifle primers at some point and everything worked.

2 hours ago, hlsccsfa said:

might be off topic, but do you find the 11.5# main spring reliable in popping the primers? most of the S2 users I know of uses 13lbs main spring, since they don't always have federal primers...

i find an 11lb spring lights of cci primers without any issues ever. i recently switched to s&b primers and got a couple light strikes in 500 or so rounds, so I switched to a 12lb mainspring and haven't had an issue since. when I run out of s&b primers, I'll go back to 11 lb spring.

I used the 11.5# hs for around 10k until it started giving me problems. I replaced it for a fresh 11.5 and still had problems. tried a 13#, no issues. No idea why. THe increase in DA weight was unfortunate, but in a match I don't notice it and my hits are the same with either.

I tested recoil springs with doubles and Blake drills (3-15 yards) and found that the 10# works best for me. Any weight can be learned with time on the gun, I just preferred how the sights tracked with my grip at the time. I do replace the 10# every 2k rounds or so, I have run them up to 5k with no issues, but springs are cheap and I like things that run.

Edited by Artemas

19 hours ago, motosapiens said:

i find an 11lb spring lights of cci primers without any issues ever. i recently switched to s&b primers and got a couple light strikes in 500 or so rounds, so I switched to a 12lb mainspring and haven't had an issue since. when I run out of s&b primers, I'll go back to 11 lb spring.

Seems the results vary case by case. A friend of mine, a member of team Walther, tried CGW trigger reach reduction kit, and floating trigger pin and 11.5# main spring with factory hammer, it doesn't pop all primers. The 13# works well, but the DA pull is 8 lbs unfortunately. I am wondering how the CGW kit would work on my S2...

39 minutes ago, hlsccsfa said:

Seems the results vary case by case. A friend of mine, a member of team Walther, tried CGW trigger reach reduction kit, and floating trigger pin and 11.5# main spring with factory hammer, it doesn't pop all primers. The 13# works well, but the DA pull is 8 lbs unfortunately. I am wondering how the CGW kit would work on my S2...

springs vary, regardless of what is printed on the package. I don't know if the reach reduction kit affects how much the mainspring is compressed, but if so, that could make a difference. I don't stress too much about it. I just tweak it until it works, then I go shoot.

• 2 weeks later...