Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert ? To 40?

D.Hayden

I want a Single Stack 40 S&W. There's none that I'm aware of that I'm legally allowed to buy in this state. (see hate rants from anyone in this state :angry: )

Last month Kimber finally got approval to sell a 10MM Stainless model, but not the model I wanted (specificlly, I wanted a Custom Target II (blue) in 40S&W), and they'll change the 10MM to a 40S&W in their Custom shop.. then I started thinking... how hard is it to change a 45 into a 40? (better selection of models)

Barrell, Extractor, Ejector? That it?

Is there 'smithing' work ouitside of the barell fitting that's required?

Or would I be better off changing a different caliber into a 40?

Thanks... Dave

Edit - changed the title to reflect more options

Edited by BerKim

Aside from swapping the entire top and and changing ejectors, you could run into feed ramp problems. (Obviously not a problem with an integral-ramp barrel.)

The .40 ramp is higher on the frame than the .45 ramp. If you put a .40 barrel onto a .45 frame you might find the barrel hanging over the ramp cut. Real big feeding problem there. You can (sometimes) trim the barrel so you don't have this problem.

The best way would be to have a selection of .45 guns to work with, and see which frame gives you (or your gunsmith) the fewest headaches in converting it.

Can you buy the parts individually and have the gun built there? That would be my plan.

Honestly it wouldn't be much more expensive and a whole lot less hastle.

It will take what everyone said, whole top end. and still have feed ramp issues as a possible problem. a 10mm on the other hand just have them fit a 40 bbl to it and your good to go.

just go buy a .40 cal 1911.

lynn

lol... I wish... I can't buy one, I need to make one. (first line of post)

There are issues buying just frames here too (of course).

These are the only 10MM Single Stacks I can get (they added the Eclipse in the last 3 days - certified on the 31st):

Kimber Eclipse Custom II / Stainless Steel Pistol 5" 10mm 10/31/06

Kimber Stainless Target 10mm II / Stainless Steel Pistol 5" 10mm 10/14/06

That sounds like the fastest way.

Anyone see any problems/experience in dropping in (I can have someone fit it, if it needs to) a 40 S&W barrel into a 10MM?

Cheaper than buying a whole slide.

I bought a Kimber Stainless Target in .40 when they first came out (maybe 5 years ago). When I switched to an STI, I put a 10mm barrel in the Kimber and turned it into a woods gun. Barrel only, the same bushing worked fine.

Edited by Scout454

Speaking from experince from having both of the mentioned Kimbers, buy the 10mm and have Kimber fit a barrel for .40. Then you have 2 guns in one. Or another option is to shoot long loaded .40 in a 10. Works fine. Got Chip McCormick 9 round 10mm mags and oal on .40's is not an issue. Have shot at least 1000 rounds through my 10 with .40 ammo and not a single hiccup. An aside note, the Kimber barrel that I have for my Kimber .40 stainless II is long throated from the factory, giving you the option to long load the .40's.

I also download 10mm to major and shoot them, or for a real kick, shoot the 10mm as it was intentioned, 200 gr at 1200 fps. That makes everyone look. :lol::lol: The people at Norma were having fun with this cartridge. No wonder the FBI guys had a little trouble. But they got what they were looking for, a cartridge to go through car doors.

I digress, forget the convert .45 to .40 idea. Go with the 10mm or .40 Kimber and don't look back.

My .02.

Hmm.... 10 mm single stack... I could actually do that... I have brass, loading dies.. hmmmmmmmm :D

When are you going to get yours Dave?

Are there 10 rd mags for it or are we stuck with 9 rounders?

Vince

Edited by sargenv

If any 9mm or 38 Super 1911s are avail in your state, thats an easy conversion as well - change the extractor, tune the ejector, and have a smith open the breach face to .40 size..... install .40 barrel.

In fact, if its tuned right, you could have a 38 Super / 40S&W convertible on the same gun just by swapping barrels and extractors.

When?

Not sure, I'll start looking for a deal.. I have 2 Glocks I need to get too, but I've wanted a 40S&W for a long time - one caliber to load for! :)

I'm going to make it a 40, I guess the mags would be the same?

10 rounders: http://www.trippresearch.com/products/40sw/40sw.htm

I think (hope?) these 10 rounders will work for the new SS Division (then I can shoot Minor or Major)

You'll be limited to 8 rounds of .45 or .40 in SS Div... if you're shooting major.

The limit for minor is 10 I believe, but the mags do have to fit flush, no extended mags.

Edited by sfinney

I want the Option of 10 rounds to shoot minor. Anyone know 40 mags that will fit?

There's a 9MM newly on the list too, I'd guess this si just as hard to change as a 45, but people on the 1911Forum, said it was the same breachface, etc, and only a barrel change. Is that possible?

If I could swap barrels and be good to go, a 40/9MM would be a better fit for me than a 40/10MM combo.

Dave-

If you have your heart set-up in having a "single" gun/frame to shoot 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, there really is only ONE choice. Obtain and fit an SVI/Infinity "interchangeable breechface" slide. Then by just exchanging breechfaces you can accomplish your wish. Very often the "stock" .45 ACP mags will hold and reliably feed the .40 cal cartridges, or after a slight tightening of the lips you can feed both. With a slight "tweak" of the .45ACP extractor it can also work with the .40. So, there is that.

As for the 9mm. You will need an additional extractor, ejector and magazines, and of course, the breechface part.

Buy whichever gun/caliber you wish, or preferably just the frame and the SVI/Infinity slide, then go to your local "smith" and allow him/her/it to earn a "meager" living. ;);)