Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge - WTB Used Full Target Set

BillChunn

Checking for a set of lightly (lol) used targets that must be AR500 or above.

Need the complete set of targets / bases / hangers for all eight stages.  Since up-range splatter coming off the hook mounts is a concern, the targets must have the bolt mounting system or could be converted to that system.

Thanks,

BC

Bolt_Mount_Rear.jpg

2 hours ago, BillChunn said:

Checking for a set of lightly (lol) used targets that must be AR500 or above.

Need the complete set of targets / bases / hangers for all eight stages.  Since up-range splatter coming off the hook mounts is a concern, the targets must have the bolt mounting system or could be converted to that system.

Thanks,

BC

Bolt_Mount_Rear.jpg

Hi Bill,

Fingers crossed you are able to find used.  In the event you are not, call me and I'll get you in contact with the local place that cut our plates and hangers out.  I'll PM you my cell #

Chris

Bill,

I respectfully disagree on target style. I absolutely hate targets that are rigidly mounted like those in the photo that bolt on. They don't dissipate energy when the projectile hits. The two SCSA clubs nearest me both have this type system. Every single match at least one person is hit by a ricochet. I've been hit so many times I coudn't count them. (Several times hard enough to draw blood)

I personally have the 'hook-hanging' type SCSA system that I bought from shootingtargets7 there in Michigan. After thousands upon thousands of rounds I've never once been hit by a ricochet. When hit, the plates move ever so slightly, dissipating the bullets energy, dropping the frag right in front of the target. The ground is all tore-up right in front of, and a few feet on either side of the plates after a session.

I am thrilled with how well these work, and wish every club had this type, as they are so much safer.

Best of luck in your quest finding a pre-owned set.

13 hours ago, BentAero said:

Bill,

I respectfully disagree on target style. I absolutely hate targets that are rigidly mounted like those in the photo that bolt on. They don't dissipate energy when the projectile hits. The two SCSA clubs nearest me both have this type system. Every single match at least one person is hit by a ricochet. I've been hit so many times I coudn't count them. (Several times hard enough to draw blood)

I personally have the 'hook-hanging' type SCSA system that I bought from shootingtargets7 there in Michigan. After thousands upon thousands of rounds I've never once been hit by a ricochet. When hit, the plates move ever so slightly, dissipating the bullets energy, dropping the frag right in front of the target. The ground is all tore-up right in front of, and a few feet on either side of the plates after a session.

I am thrilled with how well these work, and wish every club had this type, as they are so much safer.

The bolt with spring systems are nice. 

On 9/1/2021 at 11:45 PM, BentAero said:

Bill,

The velocity of the round is going to cause the bullet to shatter and disperse in a 360 degree pattern.  In the fraction of a second that event occurs, the only difference is if the steel moves ever so slightly, it will absorb a portion of the energy.  The result is that the splatter doesn't go as far in that 360 degree pattern.  If it runs into something, like a mounting hook, then the direction of that splatter will change.

I own a "practice set" from shootingtargets7 with the hooks.  The club is purchasing the new steel and some committee members voiced concerns of ricochets off those hooks coming back up-range.  I know, I know... what is the chance that will occur?  Very little.... but it's politics at a very large club and the purchase has to be approved by committee members that don't even shoot SC.  The closest they have come is shooting a steel plate suspended on a pair of chains....

There are a couple other clubs in the area that run SC matches.

One club has the bolt system and it piles up the splatter exactly as you describe.  The plates still move, just not as much as the spring system @broadside72 mentioned or the plates on hooks.

The other club's Board of Directors mandated that NO metal protrude from the plate face.  That club made their own targets and created the mounting system on the back.  This was also the club that required a wooden 2" x 6" board be mounted above each piece of steel so it would stop (or at least slow down) a round that hit the very top edge of the target and skipped off.

What is being considered is adding a spring to the bolt hanging system so the plate will move.  It would be fitted to a slightly longer bolt.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  The proposal goes in front of the committee on Wednesday the 8th.

BC

Edited by BillChunn
spring

10 hours ago, BillChunn said:

The velocity of the round is going to cause the bullet to shatter and disperse in a 360 degree pattern.  In the fraction of a second that event occurs, the only difference is if the steel moves ever so slightly, it will absorb a portion of the energy.  The result is that the splatter doesn't go as far in that 360 degree pattern.  If it runs into something, like a mounting hook, then the direction of that splatter will change.

I own a "practice set" from shootingtargets7 with the hooks.  The club is purchasing the new steel and some committee members voiced concerns of ricochets off those hooks coming back up-range.  I know, I know... what is the chance that will occur?  Very little.... but it's politics at a very large club and the purchase has to be approved by committee members that don't even shoot SC.  The closest they have come is shooting a steel plate suspended on a pair of chains....

There are a couple other clubs in the area that run SC matches.

One club has the bolt system and it piles up the splatter exactly as you describe.  The plates still move, just not as much as the spring system @broadside72 mentioned or the plates on hooks.

The other club's Board of Directors mandated that NO metal protrude from the plate face.  That club made their own targets and created the mounting system on the back.  This was also the club that required a wooden 2" x 6" board be mounted above each piece of steel so it would stop (or at least slow down) a round that hit the very top edge of the target and skipped off.

What is being considered is adding a spring to the bolt hanging system so the plate will move.  It would be fitted to a slightly longer bolt.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  The proposal goes in front of the committee on Wednesday the 8th.

BC

Sweet. I figured you were already on top of it, since its not your first rodeo. 

Don't you just love all those cooks in the kitchen? 😏

I am ASSuming by “hook system” there is a hole laser’ed / water jet’ed / plasmaCAM’ed through the AR500 plate.  Then whatever 2X4 adapter has a hook or arm welded to it.  The AR500 plate then hangs off this hook.  The tip of the hook is exposed to the front towards the shooter and the peanut gallery.

???

My original club that I started shooting “steel challenge” at back in about 2005 or 2006 had the bolt-and-spring connectors.

When I was making AR500 targets, I would weld a bent “tongue” on the back.  This tongue would then slide into a pocket welded to the 2X4 adapter or the gas pipe adapter.  So that left the side facing the shooter completely smooth.

Do you need enough steel targets to run all 8 stages simultaneously?

or said another way, does your club/range have 8 bays big enough to run all 8 stages at the same time?

Bill,

I would avoid welding on the 3/8" AR500 plate.  Brinnell hardness can be between 500-550 and controlled pre-heat required...... and damage could occur to the plates.  You also lose the ability to use both sides of the plates.  Whether hook system, which I have and was used at Area 4 Texas this year, or spring loaded carrige bolt, both systems will allow flipping plates around.  'BTW.......the slotted plate and hook systems store so much easily.

AR500 plates will outlive most of us but can be dammaged.  The looser hanger systems...spring or hook.... are great for the shooter, the scorer and the life of the plates.

Good luck.................

PS.................if you are a rimfire shooter, 3/16" AR500 gongs for practice is great and so easy to move around.  I have 4 and they do not pit by the 22LR.

As a dude who was a certified welder / millwright in a previous life, I have had no issues plain ol’ arc welding on AR500 type steels in coal fired power plants.  I used a special 7018 rod and pre-heated the steel with a torch (as per the plant engineer’s and the AR steel salesman’s instructions) to drive any moisture out.  

If there were any issues later on, well… it was because the steel failed… and not at any welds.

FWIW, the MGM hostage type targets I have shot at over the years have lasted on both sides despite having a frame welded on the back.  The only downside to the frame welded on the back is it didn’t allow the steel plate to ring like it should.

11 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

As a dude who was a certified welder / millwright in a previous life, I have had no issues plain ol’ arc welding on AR500 type steels in coal fired power plants.  I used a special 7018 rod and pre-heated the steel with a torch (as per the plant engineer’s and the AR steel salesman’s instructions) to drive any moisture out.  

If there were any issues later on, well… it was because the steel failed… and not at any welds.

FWIW, the MGM hostage type targets I have shot at over the years have lasted on both sides despite having a frame welded on the back.  The only downside to the frame welded on the back is it didn’t allow the steel plate to ring like it should.

Understand/agree.  You clearly are skilled....no intention to imply otherwise.  

I was president of a large steel fabrication company with plants in 4 states specializing in boiler tubes.  We have welded AR500 plates for years......with Certified Welders such as yourself.  But, if not trained and not using the right equipment and electrodes, most of the time the welds made by average folks who own welding machines have too little penetration into the plate and eventually the welds will crack from the repeated kinetic energy from the bullet.  

Shooting Targets 7 has a great system and allows using both sides of the plates.  We use them in every SCSA match......no issues with the AR500 expoxed hook.  For those who are opposed to the exposed hook, then shoulder bolts with springs is another good option.  Anything that tightly holds the plate tightly against the hanger will tend to mute the sound and action of the plate when hit by the bullet.   MGM's steel challenge target system also uses a hook system.

One additional comment that I have witnessed. 

The hanging steel are easier to hear when you make a hit with a rimfire round where as the rigid mount - for me because of my bad hearing even with electronic muffs on - can go unheard many times causing me to shoot the same plate twice….Maybe this only happens to me….

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that had suggestions and recommendations.  The full set of steel has been ordered and is scheduled to arrive this week along with the warming tents and propane burners.

The Oakland County Sportsman's Club Steel Challenge matches will start off with 5 stages that fit on the current bays and will be held the third Saturday of the month.  First match is scheduled for November 20th.  If we can get everything setup, possibly October 15th.  Match schedule will be posted on PractiScore.

See you on the range.

BC