Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 38 Super Minor Load Data Needed.

dpeters

Doug, Try 2.7 grains of Clays behind a 160 grain bullet, I haven't chronied them but they feel nice and accurate. You can go up from there. The 160 is a 38 Super bullet but I get them in 357. Hope this is helpful. rdd

I don't have a .38 Super revolver, but I do have a .38 Super auto. I use a 115 gr. Montana JHP over 5.1 gr. of N320. This may have a little too much recoil (I'm just guessing, it will cycle the open gun) for what you want. The bullet's going about 1200 fps. I would also use a 115 gr. FMJ for the round nose profile. If you're making Minor in a non-comped gun than go the route Bubber suggests, i.e. the heaviest bullet with a round nose profile & fast powder. Sorry I couldn't be more help, good luck.

Howdy,

Don't normally look in this group much being a auto shooter, but I noticed the title and thought I'd add my two cents. The Dec 2003 issue or Handloader magazine has 10 pages about loading the 627 38 super. If you can't find the article/issue send me a note and I might be able to get you a copy of the info and/or article.

Huston in Austin

4.5 N320 and a Zero 121 Jhp (.356) is nice and accurate.

That is the same load as I use in my single stack 38 super.

I never had a revolver with moon clips. Is a hollow point bullet as fast to reload as a round nose bullet? I kind of figured that the RN bullets would fall into the cylinder easier?

4.5 N320 and a Zero 121 Jhp (.356) is nice and accurate.

That is the same load as I use in my single stack 38 super.

I never had a revolver with moon clips. Is a hollow point bullet as fast to reload as a round nose bullet? I kind of figured that the RN bullets would fall into the cylinder easier?

To quote Ed McMahon: "You are correct, sir!"

The tiny flat spot on the JHP's can line up with the tiny sliver of metal between charge holes. What happens is you give the moon a slight twist as you release it to go into the cylinder and it just sits there. With the RN heads they'll tend to continue their spin and slide off the metal to line up with the charge holes.

So I think from my reseach I'm going to try a jacketed RN bullet. Any more recomendations? The main reason I like to stay away from cast bullets is because I hate eating smoke. And on the days that there is little or no wind, the smoke can be annoying.

Thanks, Doug

:ph34r: I shoot a S&W 357/38 loading 158 gr RN platted bullets. This is on a model 66-6 with 4" barrel. Very good results with both: 3.5 grs of Bullseye, Federal primers, -and- 4.7 grs W231 with Federal primers, resulting in a 128.93 power factor.

Best wishes, there are MANY ideas out there. Walt B)

:wacko::wacko::wacko: OOOOOOPS !! Please IGNORE the above as I posted it in the wrong area. SORRY :unsure:

Edited by Walt S