Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My open letter to ICORE Match Directors

52 minutes ago, matteekay said:

I'm not a member of the "volunteer or GTFO" crowd, but there's something of a disconnect when the list of suggestions is:

• Make the stages bigger and more interesting
  • Make setup happen faster so the match can start and finish earlier
  • Make everything run more efficiently
  • Just do it like the most popular ICORE clubs in the country!!

The key word in the section I quoted is, SUGGESTIONS. They're not demands, they're suggestions, and they're worth exactly what you paid for them.

Not one red cent.

Man, did I accidentally stumble on to a trap shooters forum?

:)

Edited by ysrracer

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I like the attitude of "The aggravation and complaining is a side benefit"  I know it's tongue in cheek, or sarcasm?, but I always looked at it kind of that way, at least they were there to complain!

Man vs Man stages are great, I've done a few to be shot after a "qualifier" COF.  I liked to set up a qualifier to rank the shooters, and as a bit of a twist I set up the qualifier as an accuracy oriented COF.  Tended to make the speed demons work harder in the mvm, cause they were seeded lower.  Many I used a handicap system (more plates for "faster divisions" and higher classes, so all of the platforms had a chance and even gave the lower classed competitors an actual chance to compete.  

Well both sort of...

I am glad for the people who come and shoot also. Most are great! But then there are those who seem to feel that if they can get everybody else off their game by complaining or challenging the COF at every turn they might "win". Though they rarely do.

At the Man on Man shoot one guy kept crying about everything! "Why can I only load 1o? Waaaa!" Some stages have more than 10 shot on them! You mean I have to reload on the clock? Waaaa! That guy shoots a hotter load than me! He can knock down the stop plate easier! Not fair!! Waaaa.

Erc Etc Etc,

I ran the shoots at a local club for 4 years in the mid 80s. I used to get complaints that the reason I won was because I set up the stages! Not because I shot 25K a year but because I set up. I would say come on Sunday morning and set some up with me. (Then you can win!) They would never show up. "I just come to shoot."

So, yes, tounge in cheek. 

But there are always those who don't help.  Don't practice. (How many people have you heard in Steel Challenge say to themselves at LMR " okay how do I shoot this stage?")

People who aren't "ready" when the buzzer goes off. Too many .

Mr Miagi said " walk left side - okay. walk right side - okay. walk middle - get the squish, just like a grape."

True Dat

4 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

Well both sort of...

I am glad for the people who come and shoot also. Most are great! But then there are those who seem to feel that if they can get everybody else off their game by complaining or challenging the COF at every turn they might "win". Though they rarely do.

At the Man on Man shoot one guy kept crying about everything! "Why can I only load 1o? Waaaa!" Some stages have more than 10 shot on them! You mean I have to reload on the clock? Waaaa! That guy shoots a hotter load than me! He can knock down the stop plate easier! Not fair!! Waaaa.

Erc Etc Etc,

I ran the shoots at a local club for 4 years in the mid 80s. I used to get complaints that the reason I won was because I set up the stages! Not because I shot 25K a year but because I set up. I would say come on Sunday morning and set some up with me. (Then you can win!) They would never show up. "I just come to shoot."

So, yes, tounge in cheek. 

But there are always those who don't help.  Don't practice. (How many people have you heard in Steel Challenge say to themselves at LMR " okay how do I shoot this stage?")

People who aren't "ready" when the buzzer goes off. Too many .

Mr Miagi said " walk left side - okay. walk right side - okay. walk middle - get the squish, just like a grape."

True Dat

🤣 I've been lucky, don't seem to hear many complaining, of course it may be I'm hard of hearing!🤣  And I know I tend to ignore the whiners.

Yep, heard the same thing in the '80's about setting up COF's.  Don't think I've heard that one since the '90's though.

Now it seems I hear a bit of "we did it this way, way back when" or "remember when we did it this way".  Since I was there then I understand the comment, but most don't.  For me I focus on the present or look forward, I only look back when I find I just screwed up 'cause I did it like this back when and didn't realize the new rule.  Though doesn't happen often.

I think Steel Challenge is a lot easier on that score. They can't say we have an advantage because we set it up! 

We get a really good group at our club for SC. We were running 35-45 (50 is maxed out) for the matches. Even in the winter we were running around 30. I think one snowy and cold Saturday we got 18.

Those days are about over for me though. I am having a bout with some physical stuff and can barely even shoot now. Let alone draw my revolver! 

Great way to save components though!

16 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

I think Steel Challenge is a lot easier on that score. They can't say we have an advantage because we set it up! 

We get a really good group at our club for SC. We were running 35-45 (50 is maxed out) for the matches. Even in the winter we were running around 30. I think one snowy and cold Saturday we got 18.

Those days are about over for me though. I am having a bout with some physical stuff and can barely even shoot now. Let alone draw my revolver! 

Great way to save components though!

Sorry to hear that.  Getting older can be a pain, but better than the alternative!

5 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

I often wondered how JM could go so well for so long. I guess even he is slowing down a little now.

Who would have thought that guy was human?

I don't think he's slowed down as he is still a force in Multi Gun, he just moved off of Revolvers.

I'm not sure he is human though, his gene's just don't seem to fit with us mortals!  And he's passed them on to his daughter!

14 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

True Dat!

Makes me mad though. He is a year older than me!!

Great to watch him shoot.

I'm 65 this year and he's 1, or 2?, years older than me.

I've been lucky to have shot with him at 3 Nationals, even got some video of him, me and the rest of our squad on one course for comparisons.

There are some young guns now, that would give him a run though!

Rumor is he may shoot the IRC this year!  At the least I'm sure he will make MWP and the rest work for a win!

And tht will for sure be fun to watch!!

He shot stock revo at a knockdown steel match and killed my open revo tim!!

He shot 6 rounds and I shot 8!

He is still awesome!

But I like to watch MVP and Rich W too.

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 6:38 PM, bdpaz said:

Not sure where you get that figure. The 1st Sunday ICORE match at Rio regularly maxes out at its COVID limit of 40 shooters while the 2nd Sunday match at PRGC gets 20 to 30, and the 4th Saturday match at PRGC usual pulls in at least 20.

so what your saying is, if I plan on moving and want to keep shooting, I should come to Phoenix right?

2 hours ago, testosterone said:

so what your saying is, if I plan on moving and want to keep shooting, I should come to Phoenix right?

Phoenix has some great ICORE matches. And some great pizza and wings, and some great BBQ, and some great bagels.

What was the question again?

:)

I saw this thread and read it all since I am taking over our ICORE match. At first, I thought I’d get some helpful tips but now I see the OPs major complaint is he wants to start early so he can be done by 1 pm and would like more “run and gun” stages. In our case, an 8 o’clock start would be problematic as most us travel over two hours to get to the range. 

As to the kind of stages, it’s been my experience that different MDs lend their personalities to building a match. That’s part of the fun. We run 6 stages in two bays so there’s a logistical order we follow. Usually two classifier-type stand and shoot, two run and guns, and two speed steel-type. Anyway, glad the thread has turned light after a brief turn into, “if you don’t like it, you do it!” Like observed above, I like at tender age of 61, I tend to be a junior shooter.