Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X-Five "two stage" reset after removing safety lever spring

Janskis

After removing the spring, the the trigger reset has assisting force up to two points and gives a distinct click on the first one although the trigger isn't fully reset. This is extremely annoying.

Any ideas? Do I have to put the spring back in? Apparently SIG doesn't install the safety lever spring in newer SIG's anymore, so when I was watching an assembly video not mentioning the spring first I was baffled on where did the spring materialize from.

I'm also probably going to order and install the GG kit so that might solve the problem too but I'm interested if anyone else has the same...

I removed the striker safety to confirm my theory and yes, the double reset disappeared. I also found out that the old safety lever 1302387-R still requires the use of a safety lever spring:

2086887315_vanhasafetyleverspring1302387-R.PNG.228c8498089a612a7d94424d6fd880ea.PNG

and the new 1300739-R does not:

2127532168_uusisafetyleverspring1300739-R.PNG.8af143268fbe1335221c67217b9b7538.PNG

Now all original parts are back in and I'll update this if I remember when I install the GG kit some day.

On the subject of safety return springs, you can learn the hard way after searching for the safety return spring that is no longer included with the newer FCUs for an hour thinking you lost when watching a GG trigger kit installation made when the safety return spring was present in the first generation FCUs.  Good times.

I had two of the earlier FCUs, one of which I sold.  I have not seen the safety return spring in any of the new FCUs I have obtained.  I have installed GG trigger kits only in the updated FCUs.  I have not installed a GG kit on an FCU that had the safety return spring.  I have not noted the reset issue in any of my Sig P320 FCUs, old or new.

• 3 weeks later...

So my FCU is a newer one and I recently had the GG kit installed. It ended up having the "double reset". Just needed a small bend on the trigger return spring and so far so good..

On 6/17/2021 at 5:22 PM, mrvip27 said:

So my FCU is a newer one and I recently had the GG kit installed. It ended up having the "double reset". Just needed a small bend on the trigger return spring and so far so good..

is there a way to tell before disassembly whether the FCU is the older version or the newer version?

17 hours ago, jimbullet said:

is there a way to tell before disassembly whether the FCU is the older version or the newer version?

I dont think it has that safety lever spring...

PS. still have the double reset...its just sporadic now..not sure whats catching or why I have it...but I can make it happen and then it wont happen...confused

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread... (2021 legion)

But i still have the double reset issue. The gun is functioning fine otherwise.

I did noticed my Safety Lever rattles side to side, where my buddies p320 (none x5) safety lever does not. I didn't check if he has the spring in there.

Could this be a contributing factor?

Edited by mrvip27

On 11/3/2021 at 2:07 AM, mrvip27 said:

Sorry to bump this thread... (2021 legion)

But i still have the double reset issue. The gun is functioning fine otherwise.

I did noticed my Safety Lever rattles side to side, where my buddies p320 (none x5) safety lever does not. I didn't check if he has the spring in there.

Could this be a contributing factor?

Sure, any looseness in the trigger group could create unwanted effects. I just fully disassembled my FCU again and polished all contacting surfaces. After assembly I got the double reset again and almost lost my mind trying to replicate the issue with the slide off, but wasn't able to and wasn't able to find the culprit part. Then I thought to add a few drops of oil to lessen the problem since I assembled it dry. Well, the double reset was gone. A good reminder that guns are not meant to run dry.

Edited by Janskis

One thing you may try...

I have a P320 that was working fine with standard reset, but one time after removal of the FCU to clean and reinstall, I started getting the double reset. I had purchased the Armory Craft +10% positive reset trigger return spring, which I had planned to install even before getting the double reset issue. After I installed the new +10% TRS, I no longer have the double reset issue with that FCU. So wondering if the double reset issue is related to the way the TRS may be seated in the frame. Thoughts?

8 hours ago, Janskis said:

Sure, any looseness in the trigger group could create unwanted effects. I just fully disassembled my FCU again and polished all contacting surfaces. After assembly I got the double reset again and almost lost my mind trying to replicate the issue with the slide off, but wasn't able to and wasn't able to find the culprit part. Then I thought to add a few drops of oil to lessen the problem since I assembled it dry. Well, the double reset was gone. A good reminder that guns are not meant to run dry.

Noted!

2 hours ago, elm3c said:

One thing you may try...

I have a P320 that was working fine with standard reset, but one time after removal of the FCU to clean and reinstall, I started getting the double reset. I had purchased the Armory Craft +10% positive reset trigger return spring, which I had planned to install even before getting the double reset issue. After I installed the new +10% TRS, I no longer have the double reset issue with that FCU. So wondering if the double reset issue is related to the way the TRS may be seated in the frame. Thoughts?

It it a definite thought for sure. My TRS is a little bent so I am going to replace it with another new one GG sent. That was my original theory at first. GG also suggested to try their stronger return spring to see if that helps as well.

I will report back once I swap it out.

1 hour ago, mrvip27 said:

It it a definite thought for sure. My TRS is a little bent so I am going to replace it with another new one GG sent. That was my original theory at first. GG also suggested to try their stronger return spring to see if that helps as well.

FWIW, I did also have GG competition trigger kit installed, using the stronger return spring, when it started the double reset. It was fine for hundreds of rounds before starting the double reset. I do like having the Armory Craft +10% TRS installed, though. YMMV

1 hour ago, elm3c said:

FWIW, I did also have GG competition trigger kit installed, using the stronger return spring, when it started the double reset. It was fine for hundreds of rounds before starting the double reset. I do like having the Armory Craft +10% TRS installed, though. YMMV

Thanks for the info. Its a cheap test.

Edited by mrvip27

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 4:16 AM, Janskis said:

Any progress?

Swapped to the AC TRS. I definitely like the reset better minus the very slight pull increase. Doesn't fix the issue though unfortunately. It has to be a tolerance issue with my FCU.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:57 AM, mrvip27 said:

Swapped to the AC TRS. I definitely like the reset better minus the very slight pull increase. Doesn't fix the issue though unfortunately. It has to be a tolerance issue with my FCU.

That's interesting! I wonder if it can be fixed by changing the safety lever or something similar.

Mine started doing it again after being fouled after shooting. This is the first time it does this just from fouling. Haven't yet cleaned to see if mine stops.

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2021 at 3:52 AM, Janskis said:

That's interesting! I wonder if it can be fixed by changing the safety lever or something similar.

Mine started doing it again after being fouled after shooting. This is the first time it does this just from fouling. Haven't yet cleaned to see if mine stops.

I have just learned to ignore it lol. It doesn't affect anything when shooting a match. Plus the better reset is where it is at.

Edited by mrvip27

On 2/27/2022 at 1:17 PM, Rich406 said:

I had this problem with the GG trigger kit. I called them, the guy knew right away what I was talking about and sent me a new sear. Problem solved. 

Interesting. Ive heard from Lockwood that the double reset thing happens on his too but I haven't heard of a replacement sear yet fixing it.

Chris at GG told me it may be an issue with install, but I don't really see that.

Guess I should contact GG?

Edited by mrvip27