Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets and Mr Bullet Feeder?

I'm loading Blue Bullets in 9mm on my Dillon 750 with a Mr bullet feeder. They feed fine, but when the shell plate advances, they fall out.

I've tried more case flare, and less case flare, they still fall out when the shell plate advances.

Anybody else see this? Anybody have a cure?

16 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Yes, works fine with plated and jacketed bullets, just not with coated.

Strange?

I have the 9, 40 and 45 MBF powder funnels and they work with .355 - .357 in 9 and the other two with .001 oversized coated bullets with zero tipping issues. My 1050 is running at 1600 rph, Ammobot, rock steady. Check the size of the expander plug part and make sure it's the correct diameter. It should be .358.

Edited by HesedTech

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

Strange?

I have the 9, 40 and 45 MBF powder funnels and they work with .355 - .357 in 9 and the other two with .001 oversized coated bullets with zero tipping issues. My 1050 is running at 1600 rph, Ammobot, rock steady. Check the size of the expander plug part and make sure it's the correct diameter. It should be .358.

Thanks, I'll check and post some pictures.

51 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

How stable is the work bench you are loading on?  I have had zero issues with bullets falling over once the press was adjusted correctly.

Pretty stable, like I say, it only happens with coated bullets. I'll take some pictures.

14 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Why yes, yes I am. Is that the issue?

There will be some "spring back" of the brass after the MBF because of the nature of the metal. While I don't believe it should be an issue it may be part of the problem.  Personally I tried multiple sizing dies and found the very best was the Dillon for 9mm. It undersizes the brass slightly leaving that coke bottle effect and zero setback issues.

Here's two different loads (OAL 1.14). The first is a 147 FMJ from Precision Delta sized at .355 and the 2nd an ACME coated 147 sized at .356. Both use the Dillon sizing die.

9MM-146-Bullet.thumb.jpg.3c16d1f32792c080c17044edd49d24ac.jpgIMG_3555@0_25x.thumb.jpg.171b58da74660a9986c4fcdc24bba924.jpg

I was flaring about like you at the .382-.383 mark and while my bullets would only occasionally fall they were shaving nearly every time I would seat. I took the advice of one of the members on here and started flaring around .385-.386 and all my problems went away.

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

The Mr Bullet Feeder funnel measures .356 at the second bell.

ysrracer:

Not sure how accurate your measurement is, or you may have an out of spec funnel, but the original DAA design normally yielded .3575" to .358" on the upper step.  This became evident when I talked with Rick Koskela about the option of having a smaller upper step machined, to all but eliminate, the "sticking" most users have with the DAA/PE/UniqueTek funnels.  BTW, Photo Escape is actually manufacturing the powder funnels per Rick's original blueprints.  Also being marketed by Uniquetek.

Here's a good read that I posted several years ago when I became a FIRM BELIEVER in the benefits of loading with the MBF powder funnel; especially with coated lead:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/205711-fix-for-shaving-lead-bullets/

And, after a recent discussion with The Blue Bullets, I found out they manufacture/final size the 9mm 147g FP and RN bullets to .355".  So, IMO, you should not be having any issues with those falling off the cases during processing.

BTW:  here's another tid-bit of info that was shared with me: 

Also note that if you “lift” the powder measure body and then tighten down the powder measure mounting flange, the amount of “flare” done by the cone funnel will change by at least -.002” to -.003”.

Hope this helps!

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

I should have mentioned, I'm loading .357 BBI bullets in 9mm cases. I'm shooting them in my S&W 929 which is a 9mm revolver, but has a .357 barrel.

Could that be the issue?