Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magnets on belt

Russty

With the rule change allowing magnets in Production, what are people running? Stoeger's After Dark podcast stated that, in effect, magnets are required, now. But, how to run them? I'm thinking 2 open magnets on the front of the belt for unloaded table starts to slap 2 magazines on. But, should I (down the road) switch to magnetic holders for ALL my magazines? Are the magnet magazine holders quicker to use in general? Thanks!

I currently prefer just 1 magnet on, or right in front of my first pouch for unloaded starts with mags on table. Any normal reloads I prefer normal adjustable retention pouches for a more consistent grab.

There are companies producing magnet retention pouches that have a plastic or metal skeleton that limits movement such as Black Scorpion, DAA, or Ghost, but you will need to do cost analysis and possibly try one so see if its worth it.

20210322_081948.jpg

Edited by TheChewycookie

Thanks! I was thinking non-magnetic was better for regular reloads. And, saves me $$. You are high cap, though, right? So, I'd need 2 magnets to get the same capacity.

Edited by Russty
Clarity

37 minutes ago, Russty said:

Thanks! I was thinking non-magnetic was better for regular reloads. And, saves me $$. You are high cap, though, right? So, I'd need 2 magnets to get the same capacity.

Yes, I'm primarily in Carry Optics. I wouldn't normally think most stage designers would force people into a situation where shooters have to load pouches. I don't see a massive advantage with multiple magnets even for low cap.

Distance from inside of belt to magazine still applies if you are putting/using mags on the magnets during the course of fire (remember, when you ULSC, you are still in the COF)

Edited by broadside72

3 hours ago, Balakay said:

until the next revision...lol

Indeed. If they are now catering to tactical guys, how long before drop leg holsters, tie down rigs are allowed?

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Indeed. If they are now catering to tactical guys, how long before drop leg holsters, tie down rigs are allowed?

Chest rig.  Man-tits will keep them from breaking the 180.  :)

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2021 at 7:09 PM, Sarge said:

What is the issue with a tie-down rig? Seems like a silly nit-pick when holsters are allowed to be skeletonized and custom adjustable can't and barely any retention once a switch is turned off. If we allow that sort of thing, what's wrong with something simply keeping a holster in place?

2 minutes ago, Kevrend said:

What is the issue with a tie-down rig? Seems like a silly nit-pick when holsters are allowed to be skeletonized and custom adjustable can't and barely any retention once a switch is turned off. If we allow that sort of thing, what's wrong with something simply keeping a holster in place?

Is there a tie-down rig that meets the requirements of 5.2.7.2?

14 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

Is there a tie-down rig that meets the requirements of 5.2.7.2?

A lot of guys are adding straps to the bottoms of their safariland holsters. The butt of the handgun is still above the belt, but there's one strap around the thigh in the groin area. 

5 minutes ago, Kevrend said:

A lot of guys are adding straps to the bottoms of their safariland holsters. The butt of the handgun is still above the belt, but there's one strap around the thigh in the groin area. 

If true, that's against the rules.  The glossary defines that.

2 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

If true, that's against the rules.  The glossary defines that.

You're missing what I'm saying. I'm stating that outside of USPSA and gaming, lots of guys who shoot with defensive purpose in mind are running rigs like this. Thigh rigs are disappearing, but the individual strap around the thigh is becoming the new norm. My point is that we allow a lot of very specialized gear in things like Open division, so why would we say that thigh straps are a no go? 

Edit: I recognize it's not allowed in the rulebook. I'm saying "why?"

Edited by Kevrend

9 minutes ago, Kevrend said:

You're missing what I'm saying. I'm stating that outside of USPSA and gaming, lots of guys who shoot with defensive purpose in mind are running rigs like this. Thigh rigs are disappearing, but the individual strap around the thigh is becoming the new norm. My point is that we allow a lot of very specialized gear in things like Open division, so why would we say that thigh straps are a no go? 

Why not have the timmies just run their franken-holster in Open and call it a day.  Not going to be competitive in Open or Production so why care?

3 hours ago, Kevrend said:

I “BELIEVE “ the origin of the rule is to prevent the image of gunslingers to the general public.