Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who reloads their own buckshot shells....and how?

nagantino

I’m about to have a final go at reloading my own buckshot shells for IPSC PSG. I’ve read loads on making buckshot, but I mean loads. There’s lots on shells built to kill feral pigs, upland turkey and deer. The trouble is I want to shoot paper and steel targets on IPSC ranges and don’t need 12 pellets of 00 speading over a 30” circle. I need a tight pattern at 16 yards say, with 8 or 9 pellets of 00. I’ve tried 12G shotcup, petals on , petals off, petals cut  off ...you get the picture. My patterns so far have been less than spectacular and definitely not fist sized at 16 yards. My last resort is to order some fibre wads tomorrow with waxed discs to build a shell. I use 19 grains of Vectan AS, pretty moderate, with a 69 mm Cheddite case, cut down, pre primed and I roll crimp. Choke is Improved Modified but I’m waiting on Modified this week as it’s supposed to be best. I load mine short, 21/2” as in birdshot length, so the shell fits into my caddies.
All sorts of Feral pig loads but no IPSC PSG, so can anyone chip in with their competition loads for buckshot?

I've been a serious 3-Gun shooter in the past and reloaded shotgun rounds.  Buckshot was rarely required for a stage and I decided not to reload buckshot.  I still have some factory loads in stock and haven't used them in 10 years.  I did have a special reload for spinners.  

Buffer helps tighten things up but also raises psi. If your loading light you should be ok. Have you tried loading a bit hotter to see if it tightens up? I’ve played with turkey loads and my best groups are generally better when I use stacked cards with a shot wrap. Or the BP Flex Seal, a wad to get the height I need, a .010 thick UHMW wrap & the shot. I just bought some UHMW sheet and cut my own wraps. You can also try different wads to see if that helps and it’s also easier. Some of the Field wads aren’t split as far down and can tighten patterns up. Also have tried steel shot wads as they are stiffer but at closer ranges I’ve had the wad go through the target too. 

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Bubba Rountree always has some legit info for shotshell. Good channel. My personal favorite for buckshot may not be exactly what you’re looking for but I’m always down to share info. It’s a lighter load and fast 1500+fps. Actually came up with this load emailing back and forth with Bubba about it. 
Win AA 2.75” hull dark grey 

6x Hornady 00B pellets stacked in pairs

XL1 green wad with BP buffer 

25.0gr Alliant Red Dot 

They don’t always cycle semi-autos I’m assuming because of low payload weight but boy are they accurate and the recoil is less than that of factory loaded buckshot. Patterns excellent due to the XL1 wad. Use at your own risk. Cheers. 

18 hours ago, hondamikek said:

Bubba Rountree always has some legit info for shotshell. Good channel. My personal favorite for buckshot may not be exactly what you’re looking for but I’m always down to share info. It’s a lighter load and fast 1500+fps. Actually came up with this load emailing back and forth with Bubba about it. 
Win AA 2.75” hull dark grey 

6x Hornady 00B pellets stacked in pairs

XL1 green wad with BP buffer 

25.0gr Alliant Red Dot 

They don’t always cycle semi-autos I’m assuming because of low payload weight but boy are they accurate and the recoil is less than that of factory loaded buckshot. Patterns excellent due to the XL1 wad. Use at your own risk. Cheers. 

25 grains of red dot???

14 hours ago, AHI said:

Max change of red dot even with a 3/4 oz load. would be 20 grains max.

Yeh I missed the buffer too. Maybe he’s just adventurous or their using BP data. 

Edited by Farmer