Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Savage

wide45

Forget the magazine issue for now. Could it be done with a Savage?

Acutrigger, or aftermarket?

Just saw a new Stevens .308 for $260. More at same price in other cals. Would have bought it, 'cept it had a fresh ding in the muzzle from being dropped on concrete. <_<

At that price, I think I can rig it to take FAL mags. :ph34r:

First off the Stevens models are definitely not in the same league as the 10fp. Secondly by the time you Jerry Rig something to feed mags reliably you will easily have more money into it than simply picking up a gently used Rem 700 PSS and slapping Badger Bottom metal on it.

If you are dead set on a Savage (newest version of the accutrigger is great) then check out Sharp Shooter Supply. There was talk at one time that TPS was going to make a box mag conversion for them.

Good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

I'm no MOR expert, but besides the magazine issue, the Savage 10fp is a great rifle. It shoots better then I can, when I do my part .5" groups are the norm. I have a pre-accutrigger gun and I replaced it with a Riflebasix trigger which is 1.5lb trigger for $60. I'm happy.

I’m just finishing up a new deer rifle for my Dad; because he likes wood stocks on his rifles I got him a model 14 American.

I did not know till I got the rifle that Savage has a new detachable magazine system.

So far it works good, it is a double stack mag that is a center feed (it feeds from the center instead of left and right side like an Ar-15 or Uzi mag).

I can not even get a spare stock mag for him right now so I doubt that any one has after market mags for it yet (hint hint).

But like all my Savages it shoots right out of the box, that’s why all my bolt guns are Savages.

I've got a 10FP (308 Win) and Love it. The finish goes along with my "gun is a tool" philosophy. I can drag it ot competitions, and hunting and it holds up nicely.

I have added an aftermarket Choate stock. For MOR competitions it is great. Again, Love it. By keeping the original stock, I can switch back and go deer hunting and I don't get the stares.

The Stevens idea sounds like a good one. A Stevens, Choate, and a new trigger - sub MOA for $500 - $600. Decent glass will cost more than the rifle.

I'm eyeing this for a 22-250 varmit gun.

I've been shooting a Savage .300 Win Mag. for years, and I love it- a sub-MOA rifle for an incredibly good price. Put the money you saved on the rifle towards great optics (mine wears a Leupold 4-14.5 Mil-dot variable) and you won't be disapointed.

• 2 months later...

Savage 10FP 24in accu-trigger , LEUPOLD 10x tac (target knobs), Choate stock, Federal ammo 168gr. BTHP... .5 MOA accuracy out past 300... the flat spot on the lower part of the stock makes a great spot to put your range card.

FOR THE MONEY YOU CAN'T BEAT A SAVAGE ... FOR AN EXTRA $1000 YOU CAN'T BEAT A SAVAGE!

I did a Prarie Rat shoot with a friend that was tacking four of his managers on the trip and purchasing guns for them. The friend purchased seven savage 'acutriger guns' five of the guns had to be fixed. as the triger would fallow if the bolt was not closed very soft.

ON two of them we could use a 'Rubber Band' to hold the triger to one side so it would not follow.

IN 22-250 with the Tubbs Final Finsh used in them they did shoot great.

I would never own one unless the trigger group was replaced.

Savage Stevens 200's are not pre accutrigger Savages. They are imported (from Turkey IIRC) to sell to chain-mega-box-mart stores and their quality is fair at best. The Stevens 200's (and Mossberg ATR's) were conceived to compete with Remington's 710 model, which has a lot of plastic parts to keep the cost of production down. The only way these rifles could be produced at a cheaper price than the Remi 710 was to import them from somewhere with cheaper labor. There is a reason the Stevens 200 is a STEVENS and not a Savage.

The Savage 10FP is hands down the best quality, at a low price, American made precision rifle.

Edited by Middle Man

Middle Man, are you sure?.. I've handled a Stevens and I own a 10FP. If you ask me the Stevens IS a older 110/10. Given that they are almost identical, take the same sparts parts and use the same receiver, bolt, and barrel attachement (as far as I can tell) it seems unlikely to me that it is anything but a rebranded 110/10 for which the use the tooling they already had when the switched the receiver shape for the new 110/10.

99% sure the 200's were imported. But I've made a few mistakes before...

At any rate, while the Stevens 200 rifles may have been produced on the old Savage 10/110 tooling, that doesn't make them the same as the old non-accutrigger 10/110 guns. The cost of the Stevens 200 (roughly half of what the old guns were) suggests major cost cutting measures and production simplificatons (i.e. skipping steps) that would make it a different animal. Just because they came out with a new receiver design does not mean that the old design suddenly costs them half as much to produce.

Really it doesnt cost that much less. You used to be able to buy the Savage 110 for around $350 or less with a scope. Actually I think the various sporting goods store sales sometimes brought the package at $299. Those rifles had wood on them, so replace the wood with a cheap plastic stock, account for it being a mature product all payed up on R&D and tooling and I can sure see them selling it at current prices. Heck, if I remember correctly I payed a bit over $400 for my 10FP with the heavy barrel and all that.

Also see http://www.gunblast.com/Stevens-200.htm

Someone else who is convinced that it is a 110 and made in the US.

Edited by Vlad

Savage 10FP 24in accu-trigger , LEUPOLD 10x tac (target knobs), Choate stock, Federal ammo 168gr. BTHP... .5 MOA accuracy out past 300... the flat spot on the lower part of the stock makes a great spot to put your range card.

FOR THE MONEY YOU CAN'T BEAT A SAVAGE ... FOR AN EXTRA $1000 YOU CAN'T BEAT A SAVAGE!

Caspian38,

It seems the general consensus is the Savage is a very accurate rifle "out of the box". My experience confirms that: 12FV with 26" barrel and Accutrigger with South African 147 grain FMJ @ 300yards = 2.5" group. I now have the Choate sniper stock on it and expect even better things. There were a lot of "..." in front of your 5MOA - that was 5 MOA, right?

There were a lot of "..." in front of your 5MOA - that was 5 MOA, right?

1/2 MOA ... as in 1 1/2 INCH groups at 300 yards.

I found that the choate stock didn't make my groups shrink any...It did reduced recoil making the gun more fun to shoot.

Compare them at today's prices, not what a rifle cost several years ago. A dealer couldn't buy a 10FP for 400 bucks from a wholesaler today.

Dealer cost is $434.00 (I bought one on sale for $419 4 months ago.) and the choate stock is about $130 dealer cost ... the Macmillan package is $714.95 but only comes in 26" I loved the feel of it ... but wanted 24 inch

Caspian38,

It seems the general consensus is the Savage is a very accurate rifle "out of the box". My experience confirms that: 12FV with 26" barrel and Accutrigger with South African 147 grain FMJ @ 300yards = 2.5" group. I now have the Choate sniper stock on it and expect even better things. There were a lot of "..." in front of your 5MOA - that was 5 MOA, right?

Well, suprlus is suprlus. In my ar-10, I've had lots that group MOA at 100 yards, and lots that group 2.5" at 100 yards. I've seen some of both lots fed through a 10fp and they shot MUCH worse. The longer barrel and more twist don't seem to get on well with the 147gr suprlus as a rule.

Yeah, I forgat that, raz-0 is right 'cause he saw my gun have problems. It shoots all 147 military ball like crap. I'm not sure however that it is the weight of the bullet, thought it was my first guess. Since I've shot some cheap Win 150gr hunting loads and while by no means match ammo, they grouped in the 1.5 to 2 MOA range. It may just be it is a tolerance thing with the military brass/bullet and my gun. YMMV.

Well, suprlus is suprlus. In my ar-10, I've had lots that group MOA at 100 yards, and lots that group 2.5" at 100 yards. I've seen some of both lots fed through a 10fp and they shot MUCH worse. The longer barrel and more twist don't seem to get on well with the 147gr suprlus as a rule.

first off I think it has something to do with the case size ... as I have rcbs X-dies that if i full length size my brass my groups go to HECK ... but surplus is not surplus I have 2 cases of 147gr junk from India that fires (that is all that can be said for it ) ...and I have the south African stuff and it REALLY shoots especially since its only $20 for like 140 rnds... the lot I have had Boat tail bullets 147 gr. and shot about 1 MOA I have shot 110 Gr. bullets in my 10fp with under 1 inch groups at 100 yards ... most 308 surplus ammo is made to be shot in an FAL or some other AUTO and accuracy was not the first concern.

Edited by caspian38

Hello to All,

Savage 10FP, 24" bbl, 2 years old, Accu Trigger, Aussie 308 147 gr 600 yds 5 3/4" group, 2nd group 7", 3 rd group 6 1/4". Unbeleivable !

Hornady 178gr Amax, 600 yds 5" group, 6" group, 5 3/4" group. (2400fps)

Got rid of the factory stock, glass bedded new Bell & Carlson. I do not like the idea of no box mag, but it shoots great !

And 100yd .50 groups are the norm.

Good Luck !

• 4 weeks later...

147's bah!

I got a great deal (free) on 1000 Winchester FMJ 147s. Won't shoot worth a hoot from my 10. Tried all kinds of combinations of powder and oal, etc.

168gn SMKs - different story. Clover leaf at 100 if I do my part and the wind's not blowing too bad. 2" groups at 300 on a good day.

The 147's will do 1.5" groups from my M1A.

Edited by Gun Geek

Yeah the more I read, the more I'm sure that the Savage barrels HATE light bullets. I know some people have had luck with them but it seems that 168s are the minimum. I'm trying 175s next.

Yeah the more I read, the more I'm sure that the Savage barrels HATE light bullets. I know some people have had luck with them but it seems that 168s are the minimum. I'm trying 175s next.

My 12FV (.308, 1 in 10) likes the 147s and 150s, but doesn't care a bit for the Fed 168 SMK. I have some 180s and will test them out soon. Never a dull moment with firearms.