Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Tools

randy01

1/8 inch brass punch

Small brass hammer

Lube

Set of screwdrivers (Brownell's has some nice sets)

Set of hex keys

Set of needle files

Small flat file

Punch with plastic tip

Punch with aluminum tip

Vise with soft jaws

Masking tape for use with vise

Brownell's has a couple of specialty tools which are nice - one of which is to depress the spring plunger while assembling the thumb safety

Exacto knife with a couple of different blades

Good pair of needle nose pliers

An assembly mat (ransom makes a nice one)

Toolbox to hold it all in one place

since flex beat me to it with the dremel and the BFH, i thought it necessary to add the other 2 important items and don't forget the 24 hour hotline 1-800-piece-of-crap-broke-again. hey Kevin(blue edge), that one will get you back on my christmas card list! :blink:

Rich- it is spelled "yall" unless you were referring to everyone as a group and then it's "all yalls"

your entire DIY home gunsmith set needs a hammer, duct tape, bench grinder and stick welder. If those things wont fix it, it aint to be fixed.

randy01,

It may sound like everybody nis half-joking with you...and, we are...but, the stuff listed really is the right stuff.

I was going to come back and add in the vise...but that has been covered. Have the vice on the end of a good bench. Have your tools in order and keep your work area clean and tidy. Have plenty of good light. Have a way to be comfortable at your work space. When you get frustrated, you don't want to be bent over a bench...in the half-dark...looking for the right tool...needing a third hand...etc.

Oh...always wear eye protection. Springs like to fly into strange spots...stuff spits off the dremel. If it doesn't go in your eye...then it will likely find your light bulds and shatter them. :)

Wait...you said "regular maintenance."

If you have a Glock, you just need something to push the pins out with, a tooth brush, hot water, cleaner (Simple Green), Q-tips, rag, a hair dryer, and some lube.

:)

If you have a Glock, you just need something to push the pins out with, a tooth brush, hot water, cleaner (Simple Green), Q-tips, rag, a hair dryer, and some lube.

You forgot a small flat bladed screwdriver and needlenose pliers (for removing and replacing the mag catch spring), the dremel, and a magic marker (for rolling down the edges of Tru-Grip Grip tape), and the rear sight tool, and a 1/4 drive socket for the front sight socket. Add some loctite for the front sight screw......

You forgot a small flat bladed screwdriver and needlenose pliers (for removing and replacing the mag catch spring), the dremel, and a magic marker (for rolling down the edges of Tru-Grip Grip tape), and the rear sight tool, and a 1/4 drive socket for the front sight socket. Add some loctite for the front sight screw......

Man you guys spend way too much time cleaning guns :P

• 1 month later...
since flex beat me to it with the dremel and the BFH, i thought it necessary to add the other 2 important items and don't forget the 24 hour hotline 1-800-piece-of-crap-broke-again. hey Kevin(blue edge), that one will get you back on my christmas card list! :blink:

Hey Dan? Christmas has come and gone, I checked my mailbox everyday :(

If it's a Glock, grab a soldering iron, exacto knife, some Acraglass (or equivalent) and some Rhino liner compound, but the dremel tool and a big fr**ng hammer are a must. :D

P.S. Liquid dishwashing detergent, I've heard the powder kind will build up in the firing pin channel...

Edited by iainmcphersn

Whatever you get, and whatever you work on, try to find a place to work that doesn't have a million nooks and crannies around your bench where small parts and springs can fly off into - you'll never find them. Shag carpet is a drag too, for the same reason.

A small magnetic parts tray will help some (though not in the case of spring powered disassembly :P )