Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SFx Configurations?

jtaylor996

I need to do some work on my SFx as right now I shoot my stock elite combat executive way faster. The ECE has a 507GR, so that's the first thing going on the SFX.

But the gun still moves a lot on me shooting minor loads (147FP). 

I just shoot local club matches, and this gun I can either run in CO or Open. Strangely my club doesn't define those specifically. I'm guessing USPSA rules. I guess I could go open, I don't care if I win much I just want to shoot faster and get better, but I don't really want to deal with a comp.

So what is my optimal config to reduce muzzle flip? W74 guide rod and the TF brass kit (is that a must, though?)? What about springs? 

A comp isn't going to do much for minor loads.  It looks kinda cool, but the brass tends to just trickle out if the gun and land at your feet.  Without a comp I was running a 13# spring and the Sig guide rod and the TF brass weight kit.  Felt very balanced.  I'm also shooting minor/sub-minor loads for Steel Challenge with 135/125gr heads.  I don't see a measurable difference between 125/135/147s in terms of recoil, but that is just me.  I have just finished building a dedicated Open/LTD gun with a Tec Performance thumb ledge, TF brass weight kit and the W74 tungsten guide rod.  If I continue with the comp then going to probably drop down to a 12# spring.  I am still working on the final product, but here is a decent representation of the final product.

2021-01-31 13.10.32.jpg

On 2/12/2021 at 4:30 PM, pitvpr said:

What spring is recommended with the W74 tungsten guide rod? I've heard 1911 Commander length is this correct?

1911 Commander spring.  Lightest I can get from Wolff is 12#

On 2/13/2021 at 9:11 AM, hump said:

I run a 15lb commander length on both of mine. The 14 worked but I occasionally had a light strike. The 13 did not always go completely into battery. My ammo is loaded to 130pf. 

I'm running a little lighter on my loads so I haven't had any issues with the 13# and the brass ejection seems to be right on the money.  Putting the comp on changes that though.

The recoil spring needs to be heavy enough to lock the gun up in battery.  Going too light(especially with a stock striker spring) may cause the gun to stay just out of battery or come out when running. 

Nobody is gonna lose a match because they have a 15# recoil spring instead of a 13#.  However, the gun unlocking and causing a malfunction😬

If there is ANY spring that needs to be replaced IMMEDIATELY, it's the striker spring as it is ridiculously overpowered.

The pistol was designed to pass NATO requirements for reliability and accuracy up to 60,000 rounds and the ability to "ignite"  NATO spec sub machine gun ammo (obviously part of the NATO specs) and in this discussion means that the striker spring is WAAAAAY stronger than needed. If you change the spring, aim it at an interior wall when you remove it from the striker because if it gets away from you, it will be easy to find as it will probably be found embedded in the dry wall!!!!   😂