Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage 10 @ 2005 Uspsa 3-gun Nationals

Trying to figure out what happened with the long range targets on this stage.

On the initial port I took about 15 or so shots to hit the three 220-330 yard targets.

On the last port (right hand side) I only needed 4 shots to hit all of the three 220-330 yard targets. I did it kind of fast too. :P

On the first port I jammed the front of the handguard (Briley/Clark carbonfiber) against the left side of the port and monopodded. On the last port I just monopoded --- the handguard wasn't touching anything.

I thought maybe that the handguard I have isn't isolating the barrel enough or I may have just been too amped on the first port.

But I overheard a local shooter (a good rifle shooter) talking about that stage. He said there were "eddies of wind out there" :lol: (or something like that). Now I don't know.

Did any of you guys experience what I did? That is... couldn't hit shjt on the first port and then hitting like crazy on the last port?

On the initial port I took about 15 or so shots to hit the three 220-330 yard targets.

On the last port (right hand side) I only needed 4 shots to hit all of the three 220-330 yard targets. I did it kind of fast too. :P

On the first port I jammed the front of the handguard (Briley/Clark carbonfiber) against the left side of the port and monopodded. On the last port I just monopoded --- the handguard wasn't touching anything.

I thought maybe that the handguard I have isn't isolating the barrel enough or I may have just been too amped on the first port.

But I overheard a local shooter (a good rifle shooter) talking about that stage. He said there were "eddies of wind out there" :lol: (or something like that). Now I don't know.

Did any of you guys experience what I did? That is... couldn't hit shjt on the first port and then hitting like crazy on the last port?

hahaha...experienced the opposite-i thought the right side port made it more difficult to see those flashers when down low. go figure...

I went 6 for 6 from the left hand port, had to reshoot after the swinger didn't go. Took dang near a whole magazine from the second port. I just couldnt' get my breathing down and had picked up lousy trigger control from the rest of the close shots. This seemed to be the same for most guys in my squad. Especially Todd. Of course that probably had more to do with the fact that his gas block was halfway down the barrel.

saw a shooter in our squad jam his handguard against the wall but this also let his gas block rest against the side of the wall. If the gas block or any of the barrel was touching the wall then it does change the harmonics of the barrel. He shot the targets 3 for 4 after he realized what he was doing and backed off.

Hope that helps.

You don't mention what caliber, weight or type bullets you were shooting which might have been more susceptable to wind conditions prevalent at the time you shot? Also, the time of day could also have been a factor with changing light conditions? fianlly you do not mention whether or not you wer using a scope....

I was using Iron sights on a 16 inch .223 with 55 grain bullets on Sunday late morning. I took the left side with 4 shots and the right side in 6 with a breath pause between 3rd and 4th shots. Used prone position and did not brace on walls in either position. No sling.

I think I went 4 for 3 on each side, but can't remember for sure. The targets were near, far, near and all I did was put the 200 yard crosshair of my JP TA-01 right in the center of the outside ones and the 300 yard crosshair in the top third of the middle ones on each side. IIRC, my misses were all on the first target each side due to getting settled (I shot both sides r-l dragging the bipod across them). The 3 hunnerts felt like gimmee's with that reticle and the SMK 77's that I flung at them ;-)

Of course, finding out your rifle is doubling every 4-5 shots in the middle of that stage was just a bit distracting. Thankfully it never doubled on me for the long ones :-)

--

Regards,

You don't mention what caliber, weight or type bullets you were shooting which might have been more susceptable to wind conditions prevalent at the time you shot? Also, the time of day could also have been a factor with changing light conditions? fianlly you do not mention whether or not you wer using a scope....

I was using a scoped .223, 55 FMJBT Win heads and we were the last squad of the day. It was about to get dark and about 1/3 of the squad were given (and took) the choice of shooting it the next day.

To me it didn't seem like the wind was a factor. On the first port the dust from the impact was just a stationary cloud. It wasn't "poof" and to the right. Nor was it "poof" and to the left. It was just a stationary cloud.

I'm not so sure that the light conditions would have caused what happened to me either since it was only like 80-90 seconds :blink: from port to port. I don't think the two sets of targets had much difference in terms of light. They were at about the same distance. I don't know... maybe.

From all the reponses the targets were for the most harder to hit on the right-side. Now I'm back to thinking that I was just too amped or the tube is at fault (maybe I WAS letting it touch the barrel). I couldn't hit shjt either at Area 1 on the roof stage (Stage 1). And at that time I was resting the handguard on the roof. Gotta see and test it out.

Used DPMS 20" with American Eagle 55 grn FMJ, and iron sights. The three long targets on the right took me four shots. The three targets on the left took almost 15 rounds. The only thing I noticed is that I had a lot of dust get kicked up by the comp. Much more so shooting at the left targets than shooting from the first port.

Loved that stage though. I've never shot at anything that far away with irons or scope.

I went 3/3 on the left and 6/3 on the right. I got a little bit excited (because I was having a good run) and didn't settle down for the last plate as much as I should have. I had to deal with a little crosswind, but not as much as Benny did. I ran handloaded 69gr. Noslers. They seem to shake off the wind pretty good.

Erik

6/3 on the left, first three shots were misses. (Note to self: must have sights on target before pulling trigger). 3/3 on right side after self induced jam required a not so quick mag change. Black Hills 77g (MK262 Mod1). Cross wind was all at the targets, directly in our faces over the rest of the course. Not a real factor.