Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder To Avoid

Harmon

i keep a mini 14 loaded in my personal truck because its a handy multi purpose carbine.

the other night i shot a skunk that was acting crazy in the cow pasture (grandfathers land-feeding cows and it gets dark early now :( )

I was shooting some russian barnaul 223 soft point ammo...damn! muzzle flash was like a flash bulb went off in a dark room.

score:

223-1

skunk-0

long story short, for shooting critters at night, is there any powder to avoid to keep from being blinded by muzzle flash?

or what loads have you used that produced the brightest, largest flash in a sub 20 inch barrel?

seems like my win 748 loads had very little flash..

... what loads have you used that produced the brightest, largest flash in a sub 20 inch barrel?

Second that.

Some years ago, I had a lot of PMC ball that produced an astounding green-white bowtie out of my JP comp. Not terribly accurate...but it sure hooked several newbies on AR's!

Would love to hear about others' "crowd pleaser" loads... :lol:

H335 is a great nighttime performer in short barrelled 223's. Had an XP once, 14" bbl, looked as if a bright orange basketball was coming out the muzzle. Also seemed as if there was a large secondary burn of powder AFTER it exited the muzzle. Very exciting. Always shot well as far as group goes, but not my first choice in a short barrelled gun.............

Rich

the goal was to know what powder to use to NOT have a big muzzle flash...but its alot of fun to watch some ARs lighting up the night with muzzle flashes...

H335 will do it..cheap russian ammo get it done!.

i have some 35 grain V-max loaded in the 223 im gonna shoot tomorrow with some chezch surplus powder...it kinda has a red-orange flash during the day.

I attended Urban Rifle at Thunder Ranch in late 04. Right after the AWB sunset. I did not have time to get a flash supressor on my 16" barrel. I bought a truckload of Federal XM193 to use.

When we got to the night phase, I had a double weapon....223 carbine and FLAMETHROWER!

All up and down the line there were cries of flashburns and damaged retinas!!

AFter that night, I went to town and got a couple hundred rounds of PMC and no more flamethrower for me.

I attended Urban Rifle at Thunder Ranch in late 04. Right after the AWB sunset. I did not have time to get a flash supressor on my 16" barrel. I bought a truckload of Federal XM193 to use.

When we got to the night phase, I had a double weapon....223 carbine and FLAMETHROWER!

All up and down the line there were cries of flashburns and damaged retinas!!

AFter that night, I went to town and got a couple hundred rounds of PMC and no more flamethrower for me.

:lol::lol::lol:

+1 on the Xm193 Fed stuff.

I don't shoot much in the dark , but I don't recall H322 as having much muzzle blast.

Travis F.

• 8 months later...

This is a little off topic, but in the same vein.. Blue Dot in a handgun with light bullets will do much the same for flashiness. I too have had the large basketball of flame while utilizing H335 in my 30-30 Contender 14" barrel while shooting light 125's.. Impressive was one word used...

Vince

• 2 months later...

we used to put duct tape over the top of the birdcage on our M-16's. It would last for about 10 rounds, but it really cut down on the vertical flash. It might get the job done.. Second suggestion, find a M-60 with a full belt and spray!! Who cares about the flash and you might get some fresh ribeye's!! :D

That's funny, I don't care who you are!! :P:D :D

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a truckload of Federal XM193 to use. When we got to the night phase, I had a double weapon....223 carbine and FLAMETHROWER!

bushmastercarbon1521spistol5ml.th.jpg

Federal XM-193 really puts out a nice vollyball sized flash out of my wifes Bushmaster Carbon 15 21S Pistol! Very loud and very BRIGHT is an understatement! Bill T.

Good question. My first guess is that if H335 is a fireball that W748 would do the same. Just in working on load data with Pops (my Dad who's a reloading freak) they are virtually identical powders. That being said, something with a fast burn rate might be the ticket.

As for flash supressors working, I have yet to see one. You can spot M-4/M-16 flash from like a mile away even with the Korea fog helping to provide a little concealment.

If it's a huge concern, here's a great reason to get Benny Hill's comp or a JP Recoil Eliminator. All my fireballs with it went to the sides leaving the sight plane clear!