Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unexpected Bang

North

I was cleaning out my garage yesterday. I was moving the old water softener to the center of the garage so it would be easier to load in my buddies truck when he arrived. I'v got it tilted on one side and just rolling it onlong and Bang. Really load inside my garage, I stopped, looked around didn't see anything, put I could smell powder. I tilted the water softener on its side and I found the source of my bang.

It had a primer inbedded in its plastic bottom with the powder marks radiating out from it.

So spend that extra 5-10 minutes looking for that dropped primer. :unsure:

Edited by North

Yeah, but you want to be careful while looking for it. I rolled over a dropped primer with the wheel of my reloading chair while looking to see where it fell. :P

Remember the 5 minutes spent changing your underwear could be better spent CAREFULLY looking for the dropped primer!

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

And if you load inside your home, PLEASE don't let your wife's vacuum cleaner find one...

Exactly what I was going to say...I toasted my Eureka after sucking up and detonating a primer (which detonated the dust in the vacuum bag). It was a bit loud, the bag blew open, and there was an interesting little dirt cloud. I looked like pigpen from the Peanuts strip afterwards!

I have a couple hundred primers and mucho powder spillage in my shop vac, along with last years christmas tree needles...am I gonna be on the news? :)

Steve, why don't you pour all that stuff into a coffee can or sumptin' ?

I'll hold yer beer while you light it. :)

(I might even give a good Duke's of Harzard style YEEEEHHHAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa.)

I have a couple hundred primers and mucho powder spillage in my shop vac, along with last years christmas tree needles...am I gonna be on the news? :)

Steve, why don't you pour all that stuff into a coffee can or sumptin' ?

I'll hold yer beer while you light it. :)

(I might even give a good Duke's of Harzard style YEEEEHHHAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa.)

Naw, it's, "Hey y'all, Watch THIS!"

SA

If your Shop Vac is relatively new you're probably safe. MythBusters couldn't get a Shop Vac to explode using gasoline so it probably won't set off the powder.(keyword 'probably') The primers are also pretty safe in a Shop Vac because there is really nothing for them to hit, no carpet beaters, etc... However by some freak of chance should you vacumn up a roofing nail....can you say "Firing Pin!" That wold probably make a pretty nice bang, depending on how much powder and primers.

I think we should suggest this one to MythBusters!!!!

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

Dad and I used to reload in the family room because it was warm inside. Mom kept hitting primers so we were eventually banished to the shop. Her old Royal vacuum took a licking and kept on ticking.

So, I knew better.

A couple weeks ago I am filling primer tubes on the couch watching the news. Apparently I lost a primer. I was vacuuming the rug later that day (I determined that popcorn would be good as an after primer tube filling snack and managed to dump some of that on the floor) and hit a primer.

Vacuum makes a funny noise now but it still sucks...in a good way. Hmmmm....