Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 Creedmoor Experts - Please step in - Guidance Needed on bullets and dies

Sigarmsp226

I know I am about 5+ years late to this wonderful cartridge but my 308 precision rifle (Remington 5R ona KRG Brovo stock) is starting to beat on me a little more than I prefer especially now that I am older so I have decided to either purchase a new rifle (going to go with a Tikka if I get one) or I will rebarrel my 5R......So to my request for help from the forum brain trust please...

1 - What bullet(s) would you recommend I purchase for loading in my goal is to shoot between 200-800yds?

2 - In limited reading it seems that H4350 is one of the preferred powders and if this is so I am in good shape as I have 5lbs. Are the better powders?
3 - DIES - What die sets do you recommend?  I realize I may have to “cry once” related to my die purchase and if so that is ok as I want to buy what others here who know this round works for them.....

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback.....Yes I am one that tends to buy in reverse....I like to have my reloading supplies on hand before I purchase the rifle and I know right now is not the best time to be getting into a new caliber for loading but I will hunt and search for affordable deals. ......Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

I agree with Tom - the SMK 142 seems to shoot well in a variety of guns and isn't too sensitive to jump. 

For the heavies, H4350 is the go to stuff ; Varget works well on the lighter bullets. Everything else seems to be gun sensitive. There are some great threads on snipershide if you care to take the time ; 38 pages ~ 1850+ posts.

I had great luck with Horandy dies. Was able to get ammo with virtually zero runout ; the indicator just wiggled slightly. That being said, I'm a huge fan of the Redding stuff.

On 12/26/2020 at 9:50 PM, davsco said:

full length bushing set vs neck bushing set vs ??

Always full length resize. Some people use the bushing to bump the shoulder back .002 after full length resizing.