Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3D-printable DAA muzzle support adapter

Fishbreath

I bought a used DAA Alpha X off of a friend, and decided pretty shortly after getting it that I wanted the muzzle support. Every US store I've checked has been out of the revolver adapters for it, though, so I ended up 3D printing one instead. On the off chance it's useful to anyone else, the files are here. It took a little bit of filing to get the captive nut to slide into place, but it works like a charm and doesn't have any detectable flex.

16 minutes ago, revoman said:

Stabilization of the barrel some people do not like how it rocks back and forth 

I'm genuinely lost here. The barrel rocks back and forth?

Is it used to work on the gun, or do you actually shoot with it on?

I've only been shooting revo events for a year or two, and I've never seen anybody shooting with that.

It's part of the holster—you can see my moon clip rack behind it, which may help with orienting the photo in your head.

The DAA holsters use a clamp around the trigger guard to retain the gun, and for guns with rounded trigger guards, the gun can rotate slightly in the holster. The clamp, with a rounded profile, engages the trigger guard, itself rounded, and the trigger guard can slide in the clamp so that the muzzle moves slightly up and down. The muzzle rest has a little plastic tip which engages the tip of the barrel, so that the gun doesn't move that way when holstered.

With this gun and this holster, I find there are some small benefits beyond looking cool: it gives me something to point the muzzle at when reholstering, which makes it a little easier to insert the gun cleanly. It also feels like the draw is a little more consistent, but I'm not sure that isn't the placebo effect

9 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Oh, it's part of the holster. Thanks, now I get it.

Without it, the barrel would be hanging in space, right?

Correct some trigger guard’s fit tighter some like to index when placing revolver back. Hogue makes for their holsters

Not a bad idea, adapted something similar to a CED race holster for my Revolver and had one on a Safariland 002, it was for a 4" and I had a 5" and didn't want to hook the FS on the draw actually had the 4" FS pop out on holstering in practice even.

All in an attempt to keep from having the Revolver pop out of the holster and get DQ'd!

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

I just use one of these. It ain't the holster that's slowing me down :)

Realistically, probably not for me either (I switched from pretty much that model of holster). At most a tenth or two on a draw isn't going to make up for my still-below-par accuracy.

36 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

BTW good looking piece.  Both the 3D adaptor AND the Ruger!

Thanks! The Ruger got a little less pretty since I took the picture—I swapped Altamont grips on in place of the Hogue hardwood, and I think I like the former better. The Hogue grips want to push my hands further down the gun than I want to be, based on their contours.

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Was it something clever and witty? It's never too late.

I just use one of these. It ain't the holster that's slowing me down :)

Screenshot_20201219-084314.png

No that holster ain't slowing you down. My Double Alpha holster bound up occasionally on the draw if you didn't come out perfectly straight. I'm back to open front Kydex. I find it more consistent and no slower.

If you haven't done it already, treat yourself to one of the adjustable holster hangars. Having the revolver in the correct location and angle for your hand is a bigger deal than a skeletonized holster.

As a side note, I don't really dig things touching the crown of my barrel, even plastic. Once that peg gets dirty, it acts as a lap. The dirt embeds in the plastic and that dirt can be hard enough to wear away the steel, think about sandpaper. If I had a comp on the end of my barrel I might not worry as much.

32 minutes ago, PatJones said:

As a side note, I don't really dig things touching the crown of my barrel, even plastic. Once that peg gets dirty, it acts as a lap. The dirt embeds in the plastic and that dirt can be hard enough to wear away the steel, think about sandpaper. If I had a comp on the end of my barrel I might not worry as much.

I hadn't considered that—I'll have to keep a close eye on it, or maybe design something that doesn't engage the tip of the barrel directly.

I had an adjustable hanger with my kydex holster, and still didn't like it as much as this. I guess the other thing to try would be cutting down the front of the kydex holster even more.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, Fishbreath said:

I hadn't considered that—I'll have to keep a close eye on it, or maybe design something that doesn't engage the tip of the barrel directly.

I had an adjustable hanger with my kydex holster, and still didn't like it as much as this. I guess the other thing to try would be cutting down the front of the kydex holster even more.

I thought about it with the DAA RacerX? I have, but as I'm going to use it for Steel Challenge (maybe, hopefully, someday again?) I wanted to swap back and forth between my 4" 627 Pro w/dot and the 5" 627 PC.  Muzzle Support kind of defeats that?

When I go to USPSA/ICORE (was going to shoot 2 guns at last years MW Regional too) I can go back to the Blade Tech.