Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Recoil Springs

JD45

We used to talk about recoil springs all the time, but not so much lately.

How about some updates on what everybody is shooting in their Limited or single-stack guns these days. What do you use and what are the top 16 using.

I once read on this forum that Matt Burkett and Todd Jarret were down to 10lbs on their Limited guns. Rumor was Todd J. was using a Recoil Master at the Nationals.

I've had a 12lb. spring in my single-stack for a long time now. The gun has never been more reliable. I have a 10lb. waiting to be tried.

Do many of you use a Recoil Master? A local guy I know does real well with his. He shoots the "light" set-up with 200gr. .40 major.

I've been toying between 10 and 12 pound springs in my .40 SS gun. I haven't really decided which I like better - but those are about in the sweet spot for me, it seems. 14 is too heavy - too much flip.

I don't have an RM, and haven't actually shot one, yet. I'd like to shoot one before spending the $$ to try one out...

Well after reading a big chunk of the info posted in the Springs Forum, I put a 15# recoil spring in my L-10 with factory 45 ball for last weeks match. Previously, I had run a standard 18.5# spring. Amazing how the gun stayed settled in my hands, how many more A's I shot, and how easier the front sight was to see with the 15# spring.

I really should have paid more attention in Physics...

Springs really change the feel of the gun. My impression is that lighter is better - but only to a point. Once the recoil spring gets too light, to me the gun becomes violent again, but in a different way. Instead of flipping a lot (like it seems to do w/ a heavier spring), the gun moves extremely quickly, and seems to not track straight up and down anymore. My experience with .40 is that the 10-12 pound range in a 1911 seems to be the sweet spot for me - I know folks that run lighter springs than that, preferring the quicker motion. The gun seems to cycle consistently straight up and down for them that way, too. So, the selection here is pretty subjective, and will vary based on your preferences.

You have to be aware, too, that if you go too light, the gun may become unreliable without further tuning - you may not retain enough energy in the spring to feed the next round off the top of the mag.

Best bet might be to buy several and try them all out :)

I use a Sprinco and a 12# spring in my limited gun (STI 2011). I have tried a 10# spring, had problems at the time and it didn't work too good. I am planning on trying one again.

(Someone also suggested to me trying a commander lenght spring in a GM, I havn't tried that yet.)

If you use a light spring be careful to check for frame battering.

I've been pretty happy with the 12.5 lb spring in my Limited .40 Para. Don't think that it's a huge difference between the 14 lb spring I was using, but it IS better.

The biggest difference was when I dropped from a 16 lb spring in my L-10 .45 Kimber to a 14 lb spring shooting 220 grain bullets. Major improvement.

I also use a Sprinco (in my SV). It's a Classic slide with the stirrup cuts up front; not the full-profile version. I went as low as a 10-lb spring but had feeding issues. Went to an 11-lb spring and it's been running fine with that same one since the 2004 Nats.

It did change the feel of the gun a little when cycling but not in a bad way. It's still cycles quick, and I feel better about the protection it gives when that second spring kicks in at the end of the stroke.

I jsut made the switch from a regular recoil spring to a recoil master on my Kimber 1911 in 45acp. It does seem to cycle a little faster but I can't attribute that to the rm alone. I was using a 18 lb spring previously. The one big selling point for me was I could use different ammo, from a light target load to a heavy pin load without having to worry about changing the spring to match my activity. I also have been told the recoil masters take some time to break in before they take on whatever feel they normally keep, like a regular spring. Hope this helps.

Adam

So, no one wants to tell what the big dogs are using in their limited and L10 guns? There must be a reason if it has become top secret.

:P

I am not sure that it matters a whole lot once you get used to what you are using. A heavier recoil spring will close the slide a bit harder...which could lead to the muzzle dipping, if you aren't timed to the gun. There are issues like that on the heavy side.

On the light end, you might not have enough spring power to overcome the friction of a tight mag spring and stack of bullets push up against the slide...you might have problems stripping bullets from the mag...pushing them all the way in...holding the gun in lock-up.

Most everybody seems to want to go with as light of a recoil spring as they can get away with. Many will add a shock-buff (1911/2011 guns) to keep from beating up the gun. That can cause some issues (but, everybody gets that figured out, it seems).

For Glocks at Limited Major...there are only a few that shoot them at the GM level... I think Dave S. shoots a stock Glock, but I don't know that for sure. I run a stock rod and spring.

You might search and see if you can dig up what Erik is using...he shoots splits as fast as anybody in Limited.

Thanks, Flex.

When I use a heavy recoil spring the part that affects me the most is the beginning of recoil. It feels like there is some sort of uncontrolable initial force that sends the muzzle skyward. When shooting a Bill Drill, my eyes see alot of muzzle-rise with a heavier spring.

Going light seems to work better for the way I shoot. I don't have to use a death-grip anymore.

To see some great info on recoil springs and similar gadgets look here:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5006&hl=recoil+spring

Edited by JD45